U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,560,023 times

Advertisements

Hi:

What are the best school districts in the Seattlearea? What cities are they in? We are looking for an upscale area, would prefer something charming and with views but want a great school district. Husband would be working in Kent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,892,491 times
Issaquah has a great school district. Bellevue's is considered very good, as is the Tahoma School District ( Maple Valley). Kent used to advertise itself as being an award winning district but I think it's reputation has gone downhill in recent years.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,390,244 times
Seattle Metropolitan, a respected local magazine, conducted an in-depth survey of the schools in the Seattle neighborhoods and nearby cities. Here's the link:
December 2007 edition, Seattle Metropolitan Magazine » Back Issues

Posters here on C-D usually cite the following as the "best" school districts:
Bellevue, Issaquah (both are on the east side of Lake Washington), Olympia (south of Seattle) and Shoreline (just north of Seattle). The east side of Lake Washington is typically said to have the best schools, and the neighborhoods are safe.

Bellevue's high schools are rated in Newsweek’s top 200 high schools for the 4th year in a row -- and of course the lower schools graduate into the high schools.

East of Lake Washington has many upscale and extremely upscale neighborhoods, with lots of charm and lots of views.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks! I'll check out Issaquah and Bellevue and the others mentioned. From what I have read, Kent might not be the place for us. What about Redmond?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
Thanks! I'll check out Issaquah and Bellevue and the others mentioned. From what I have read, Kent might not be the place for us. What about Redmond?
I agree that Kent is not likely what you are looking for. Redmond is very similar to Bellevue (they look and feel the same and you can't tell where one ends and the other begins unless you know). There are many different new and newer single-family developments in Redmond, especially northeast of the main drag, Redmond Way.

The schools in Redmond are considered quite good. The schools in Bellevue and Issaquah are considered better. Property taxes in Bellevue and Issaquah are a little higher than in Redmond, providing more money for the schools. Your husband's commute to Kent would be a bit faster from Bellevue or Issaquah. All in all, Bellevue and Issaquah would probably provide you with more choice of upscale homes than would Redmond.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM

My favorite resource when looking for real estate is what seems to be the most complete for a very wide area around Seattle, including the entire area you’re interested in -- Seattle MLSOnline. No registering required; no emails.
Seattle Real Estate, Top Seattle Real Estate Search, TheMLSonline.com

Less complete, but useful for comparisons, are
Realtor.com: http://www.realtor.com/Default.aspx
Homes.com: Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale.
for condos, Condocompare.com: http://condocompare.com/

Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,277,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
The schools in Redmond are considered quite good. The schools in Bellevue and Issaquah are considered better. Property taxes in Bellevue and Issaquah are a little higher than in Redmond, providing more money for the schools. Your husband's commute to Kent would be a bit faster from Bellevue or Issaquah. All in all, Bellevue and Issaquah would probably provide you with more choice of upscale homes than would Redmond.
I ditto everything cats said. Good advice!

We are in Redmond Ridge, which is an affluent (and unincorporated) part of Redmond with gorgeous planning, trails, woodsy areas, an 800+ acre watershed area, and wonderful views among other amazing things. Our kids attend Rosa Parks Elementary in Redmond Ridge. It's a wonderful walkable community - if you can afford it. (We rent...)

We moved here a year ago for my husbands job. Before moving here, we did our homework and found Bellevue schools to be the best. Issaquah and Redmond were also up there, but Bellevue was at the top of the list.

Once we figured out the "Eastside" area a little more, we decided to live as close to husbands work as possible due to the awful, horrible, miserable really amount of traffic. My husband's office is in Redmond Ridge, so that's where we chose to live.

I don't know about the other schools in Redmond, but I will say I absolutely love Rosa Parks Elementary where my kids go. It is awesome. This is only the second year that it has been open - it's a brand new school. hey incorporate the arts - music, theater, dance, visual arts - into a very rigid academic curriculum. They really push the kids to do their best but in a very fun and loving, nurturing way. The principal is an amazing guy and the teachers are full of energy. The feeling within the school is just very positive and inspiring.

There are some things I really don't like about Redmond - the part of Redmond that is closer to the real city of Redmond, no place is perfect, but I am so happy that my kids have the opportunity to attend this particular school with these amazing people and to live in this particular neighborhood with all it's woodsy areas and trails and campfires at night and such - it's pretty ideal. It feels very safe here and the views are gorgeous on the clear days. I especially love all the windy woodsy trails that go throughout our neighborhood. It's planned out to be a walking neighborhood which is really nice.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Redmond Ridge East - Welcome

This link might help

Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM

I will check out the Redmond Ridge area in addition to Issaquah and Bellevue. I love the idea of a neighborhood with winding, woodsy trails (we used to live in an area like that in Chicagoland and we loved it), especially with a pond or some other amenities. Are there other neighborhoods in Issaquah and Bellevue that have trails and such? We are in the 800-1M range, maybe a bit more.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
I will check out the Redmond Ridge area in addition to Issaquah and Bellevue. I love the idea of a neighborhood with winding, woodsy trails (we used to live in an area like that in Chicagoland and we loved it), especially with a pond or some other amenities. Are there other neighborhoods in Issaquah and Bellevue that have trails and such? We are in the 800-1M range, maybe a bit more.

Thanks!
You might really love Redmond Ridge then. The homes sell very quickly, and RR East just began selling not too long ago.

I love the woodsy trails, too, and we do have ponds scattered throughout our neighborhood. They call them storm water ponds. There are signs along the trails that describe what sort of wildlife live in the woods in the area, which is really fun for the kids. I also love the campfire areas at a few of the sweet parks in our neighborhood. There is usually firewood there for you as well - we bring some to use and leave some for the next people. I love being able to look out on the clear days and see the snow-covered mountains and Mount Rainier. It's really nice.

Redmond Ridge and Redmond Ridge East is all new construction with mostly smaller yards while the nicer parts of Bellevue would be older more established sort of neighborhoods with older construction and possibly more land depending on the property. That might be a deciding factor for you. If you want to be close to upscale shopping, Bellevue is where that is at, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>