Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

Advertisements

Just came back home to Whidbey after day after day of working. It was simply beautiful coming up the 5 in the early evening...

People are just simply more courteous as drivers.

Interesting comparo between Seattle drivers and L.A. drivers. The list of horrible driving cities does not list Seattle anywhere near the top. I forget what city is number 1 but it might be L.A. Or Houston. Or something. Seattle is way, way down the list - around #30 or so of large U.S. cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Just came back home to Whidbey after day after day of working. It was simply beautiful coming up the 5 in the early evening...

People are just simply more courteous as drivers.

Interesting comparo between Seattle drivers and L.A. drivers. The list of horrible driving cities does not list Seattle anywhere near the top. I forget what city is number 1 but it might be L.A. Or Houston. Or something. Seattle is way, way down the list - around #30 or so of large U.S. cities.
Seems like many places have their own style of bad driving. LA drivers are way too aggressive, speeding and tailgaiting. Boston drivers are insane, nobody yielding to anybody and traffic circles. seattle's the kind of place where everyone just sits there at the four way stop.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
seattle's the kind of place where everyone just sits there at the four way stop.

Oh, don't feel alone. They do this in KC too.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:41 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
seattle's the kind of place where everyone just sits there at the four way stop.

Oh, don't feel alone. They do this in KC too.
Curious...in KC, when the person who isn't on the right or didn't arrive first at the intersection and therefore doesn't have the right of way then takes it out of frustration, does the taker get flipped off and yelled at? That's how it works here.

The drivers here drive carefully and slowly and "with respect" because they are too fearful to drive any other way. When they do speed up, they create ridiculous accidents, like ending in the ditch upside down. The people here have beyond terrible driving skills and drive without thought and call it "safe" driving.

Massive huge gaps are left between cars after a slowdown on a freeway, for example. The traffic has stopped or slowed to 10 mph for some reason, then it clears. People then take minutes, literally, to get up to just 60mph from that point, and there are wide 25+-car gaps between the cars ahead. The utter inefficiency of the drivers continues to surprise me even after almost 15 years here. It's like people get behind the wheel and have no concept they are driving. It's like they're on a bus and someone else is in control and they can just faze out and not have to remain aware and work/be with others on the road. They just go along and seem not to think at all, no concept of threading when an on ramp is merging onto the freeway and they are merging to get off the freeway and must move fluidly into/out of the same lane.

Although I've only driven in OR, CA, WA, BC, NV, AZ, UT, MT, ID, NY, NJ, Quebec, Ontario, London, Glasgow, and Australia (Brisbane), I've never seen drivers so inefficient, oblivious, unskilled and resentful as those in Seattle to the point of creating the danger they claim to be attempting to avoid.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:28 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
FOR Any one who wondered.

A White Christmas. What a story book it is here.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Official - We like it.-dsc_0751.jpg   It's Official - We like it.-dsc_0738.jpg  

Old 12-26-2017, 07:16 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
[/b]

Though my husband does like Seattle area because he was raised in the area. I want to like Seattle but there is a place for everyone and it's just not mine. I'm glad so many people love it here. It's a beautiful place, indeed.
I think that there is chemistry between a person and a place...or not.

A question for a transplant...has your current residence begun to seem like home?

Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 PM

We still love it....just in case you were wondering.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Solstice week coming up.,

Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Solstice week coming up.,
Earth turns around the sun.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:55 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
from June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
So, AADAD, did you do the Solstice Faire?
So are you working next weekend (6/15-17)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area