Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Not sure if I mentioned in above in this thread but since za being discussed, the Pizza place in Langley is very good with a nice water/island eastern view.
Agreed. We like Front Street Grille in Coupeville for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 01:39 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll address your quote and your odd intrusiveness. Not only did I not feel ok about San Diego but your assumption that you somehow know me (or anyone) enough to say what is best for them or how they might feel is UNWELCOME. Find something good to say about You and let us know rather than questioning others who you do not have a whit of truth about. k?
Overly sensitive and easily ruffled. Yup, you belong here.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Overly sensitive and easily ruffled. Yup, you belong here.
People on your bumper risking injury at 70mph overly sensitive? Where do you work? WWF?

Old 05-28-2017, 05:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post

As for Seattle itself , it's not really if you love it you love it anymore,, it's if you can AFFORD it you can afford it and love it . That is the way it is . The traffic and too many people CRAMMED into such a small space is literally making me sick .
I CAN make this last lease.. I CAN make this last lease .......
I get what you're saying, but... it's relative. I mean, the Seattle metro has about 4 million give or take in an area of about 5900 square miles. For comparison, Los Angeles County ALONE has 10.2 million people in about 4000 square miles. And that's not even taking into account places like Orange County which alone is over 3 million. I know there are variances with water and uninhabitable land in both areas, but Southern California still feels orders of magnitude more crowded to me. Even San Diego felt extremely crowded... there are just soooo many people down there and plus you have so many people visiting/tourists at any given point.

OTOH, a place like KC felt very open and not crowded when I lived there compared to SoCal. So much more "breathing room". That's because it has a population of 2.3 million (metro) spread out over about 8400 square miles, and most of that is developable land.

Seattle is somewhere in between. It's busier and more crowded than a place like KC, but nothing compared to SoCal. So I would personally hesitate to say it feels "overcrowded" at this point. Yes traffic is bad due to geological constraints, but it doesn't seem to be bad due to the sheer magnitude of people like you see in LA with sixteen-lane freeways clogged up in both directions. Seattle will never get to that point, thankfully.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I get what you're saying, but... it's relative. I mean, the Seattle metro has about 4 million give or take in an area of about 5900 square miles. For comparison, Los Angeles County ALONE has 10.2 million people in about 4000 square miles. And that's not even taking into account places like Orange County which alone is over 3 million. I know there are variances with water and uninhabitable land in both areas, but Southern California still feels orders of magnitude more crowded to me. Even San Diego felt extremely crowded... there are just soooo many people down there and plus you have so many people visiting/tourists at any given point.

OTOH, a place like KC felt very open and not crowded when I lived there compared to SoCal. So much more "breathing room". That's because it has a population of 2.3 million (metro) spread out over about 8400 square miles, and most of that is developable land.

Seattle is somewhere in between. It's busier and more crowded than a place like KC, but nothing compared to SoCal. So I would personally hesitate to say it feels "overcrowded" at this point. Yes traffic is bad due to geological constraints, but it doesn't seem to be bad due to the sheer magnitude of people like you see in LA with sixteen-lane freeways clogged up in both directions. Seattle will never get to that point, thankfully.
I don't know. I get that I'm still in my "honeymoon" phase with LA, but it doesn't feel any more crowded to me. Actually, it feels a bit less so, but for a bit of an odd reason. I mean, you're aware that you're in an area that's literally about 6 times as populated, but it doesn't have that same packed in feel. Up in Seattle, the nice days were so few and far between, and the organized activities (aside from protests) weren't super plentiful, that any time the sun came out, traffic would just go through the roof. And any time there was something worthwhile to go do, it would be ridiculously crowded and impossible to really navigate because people would flock to it from everywhere. LA, on the other hand, I mean, definitely a ton more people, but because it's so spread out, and because the weather isn't such a driving force as to whether everybody is going to stay in their house or venture out so it's more consistent, and because there are always a crap ton of things to do on any given day that draw people to it - thus, spreading around the population - it doesn't really have the same feel of overcrowding that Seattle did, aside from on the roads, which is the one reminder that you are in a vastly larger area.

To use as example, up in Seattle right now is that Folklife Festival. And, since it's also sunny and probably about 80 right now, my guess is that place is just packed wall-to-wall with people. As is 1st and Pike. As are, I'm sure, the Costcos. Huge lines and unmanageable packed in crowds abound. It's like everybody is going to the same few places, regardless of what part of town they live in, all because the yellow fireball decided to give the poor fools a break. Meanwhile in LA-LA land, sure it's nice out and people are out, but they're scattered amongst a million different beaches or out in a billion golf courses, or up in the mountains on retreat or at a hundred smaller little festivals or something. I almost never stand in lines anymore, whereas it seemed to be a sport in Seattle. It works.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't know. I get that I'm still in my "honeymoon" phase with LA, but it doesn't feel any more crowded to me. Actually, it feels a bit less so, but for a bit of an odd reason. I mean, you're aware that you're in an area that's literally about 6 times as populated, but it doesn't have that same packed in feel. Up in Seattle, the nice days were so few and far between, and the organized activities (aside from protests) weren't super plentiful, that any time the sun came out, traffic would just go through the roof. And any time there was something worthwhile to go do, it would be ridiculously crowded and impossible to really navigate because people would flock to it from everywhere. LA, on the other hand, I mean, definitely a ton more people, but because it's so spread out, and because the weather isn't such a driving force as to whether everybody is going to stay in their house or venture out so it's more consistent, and because there are always a crap ton of things to do on any given day that draw people to it - thus, spreading around the population - it doesn't really have the same feel of overcrowding that Seattle did, aside from on the roads, which is the one reminder that you are in a vastly larger area.

To use as example, up in Seattle right now is that Folklife Festival. And, since it's also sunny and probably about 80 right now, my guess is that place is just packed wall-to-wall with people. As is 1st and Pike. As are, I'm sure, the Costcos. Huge lines and unmanageable packed in crowds abound. It's like everybody is going to the same few places, regardless of what part of town they live in, all because the yellow fireball decided to give the poor fools a break. Meanwhile in LA-LA land, sure it's nice out and people are out, but they're scattered amongst a million different beaches or out in a billion golf courses, or up in the mountains on retreat or at a hundred smaller little festivals or something. I almost never stand in lines anymore, whereas it seemed to be a sport in Seattle. It works.
Nah. We were out and about all day yesterday. Burien, West Seattle, Sodo, Georgetown, Fremont. Lunch, record shopping, Fred Meyer, butcher shop, Han's, Lincoln Park(Lot's of cars but found a space. Not that many on the paths/trails). Mostly at the pool. Traffic was non existent. I5/405? Maybe? Not sure as I don't drive on those freeways. We actually made comments throughout the day on how light the traffic was everywhere. Don't get me wrong, there were probably places and streets that were busy but don't be so dramatic.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:

Well, nice weather and special events are more isolated issues. If you think Folklife was bad try going to San Diego Comic Con. Special events just tend to be crowded. Even in Kansas City I remember feeling overwhelmed by the amount of crowds during certain festivals like 4th of July at the riverfront and an art festival they hold in one of the core neighborhoods. And Pike Place and the waterfront is always going to be crowded. That's any touristy area in any large city.

I'm just talking day to day stuff. I was recently back in San Diego at a suburban Trader Joe's and literally had to circle around for 15 minutes just to find a parking spot. This was a Tuesday at 3:30 pm. Then I met a friend for dinner at my favorite shabu shabu place in Mira Mesa and had the same exact problem. It's gotten much worse in the 4 years since I've left. I haven't yet encountered this issue in the suburbs in Seattle. In SD they are building a lot of high density housing but no commensurate public transportation expansion. I think they are FINALLY expanding the light rail to La Jolla after talking about it for 30 years, but nothing in any of the other core neighborhoods. Seattle is way ahead of SoCal in this regard and is really pushing the expansion of the link. That is a huge pro for Seattle to me.

And the beach??? Don't even get me started. If you want to go to any of the beaches in and around LA you either go during the week or get there before 8am on Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise you will go crazy trying to find parking or suck it up and pay $20-30 in a lot.

One thing I've noticed about the traffic is the amount of 2 and 4 lanes in Seattle. That has to affect congestion. What would be a 2 lane road in Seattle is going to be a 4 or 6 lane in SoCal.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Just left Seattle recently. My wife is from Santa Barbara, and I'm originally from San Antonio. We couldn't do the weather or the traffic. My Career has taken me to Atlanta GA, Golden CO, Boise ID, Seattle WA, and Now Prescott AZ.

Seattle was an awful existence for my wife and I, but I met quite a few transplants there that absolutely loved the place. I hope everything works out for you there. It sounds like you're loving it so far.

The bolded. Though my husband does like Seattle area because he was raised in the area. I want to like Seattle but there is a place for everyone and it's just not mine. I'm glad so many people love it here. It's a beautiful place, indeed.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:21 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
It's Official - it's only rock n roll but I like it

Old 05-29-2017, 11:34 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:

I normally go to LA for a break so yes I would agree with you . Even my daughter asked when are we going back to Los Angeles 2 days ago . I started going / living off and on there since 1976 and I still don't feel so crammed in as I do here but .. I should have clarified that I did not feel that way 6-7 years ago here , the traffic was bad yes but not just hopelessly jammed in . This town( Seattle) NEEDS more lanes . I haven't bothered to leave the house for the last 2 days , it was just bottlenecked again where 16 meets 5 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area