U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 AM

415 posts, read 378,915 times

Advertisements

Sorry Seattle, you're not special. Whether the "Seattle Freeze" is real, it is not unique. It's everywhere touched by modern hypermobility, transience, atomization and indifference.

I Bake New Neighbors Bread, And They Never Say Hello to Me Again

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,955,707 times
Anecdotally, I have made more new friends in my very brief time down in LA than I did in my first 4 YEARS in Seattle. And so far, not a single person has flaked for a planned get together.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:21 PM

3,479 posts, read 4,330,782 times
Seattle is becoming more closed , high strung and unfriendly than it ever was before. I was surprised coming back here how more distant and high strung people seem to be. It use to be much more laid-back and chill, even if it was still a bit more fanatical and liberal. I am thinking the high cost of living, low paying jobs and serious overcrowding, mismanagement of resources and poor city planning are partially to blame for the coldness and more transparent hostility I have been encountering from people.

I tried attending IT social groups and networking with software people here, but I found it to be very socially awkward and people seem to be stuck in their bubbles. You go to software meetup groups here and many people sit in a corner working on their computer ignoring everyone else. I mean what is the point of going to a social networking group and not talking to anyone? You can just stay at home and hide behind your computer there. There seems to be more and more of a prevailing culture of every person is out for themselves and wants to step all over the other guy to make it to the top. A society where people are always working against each other rather than together are doomed to implode, eventually.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,251,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Anecdotally, I have made more new friends in my very brief time down in LA than I did in my first 4 YEARS in Seattle. And so far, not a single person has flaked for a planned get together.
So PROUD of you! Give them time.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,169 posts, read 56,785,610 times
We know all of our close-by neighbors and chat often over the fence or in someone's front yard, but for get togethers and actual meals it's friends we have made here that live farther away, several blocks or even other cities. You don't choose your neighbors, you do choose your friends. A lot of ours came from when we had kids, and met parents who are still friends after the kids are all grown and on their own. Part of it is the neighborhood turning over. We are still here, as are a few others that have been here since the homes were new, but other empty nest homes were sold and now have 20s-30s people with young kids and babies.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 PM

450 posts, read 391,670 times
I suspect this is true of metro areas that have a lot of transient populations, which results in a lot of turnover of residents. I don't mean homeless bums by transient, but highly paid yet somewhat transient folks such as many high tech employees are only here to pad their resume and then move on to another tech mecca.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 AM

240 posts, read 194,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 AM

5,162 posts, read 2,977,577 times
Well, at least I finally know what coffee klatch means. That is what one of my neighbors told me about my Olympic Peninsula neighborhood 6 1/2 years ago, when I brought her the mail that belonged to her but was in my mailbox...that it is not a coffee klatch neighborhood. She was the same person who told us how friendly the neighborhood was when we were looking at same house to purchase.

A neighbor that I did not know had existed, died. His wife was infirm. Other neighbors knew about them, never even did a welfare check. But, they were at the garage sale, picking like vultures through these people's personal belongings.

Another neighbor is waiting for her sister to die, gleefully, so she can collect an inheritance...this is her SISTER

Yeah, I am glad I won't be around in 50 years, also.

Yay, PNW.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:57 AM

298 posts, read 200,448 times
the seattle, or even PNW, freeze is a little different from what OP is describing. stay long enough and you'll understand. the natives are a little off.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM

6,108 posts, read 3,286,392 times
Coffee klatches must've gone away when more households needed two income earners. I had heard of them a long time ago but can't say they were ever popular in my adulthood or even later childhood.

There are, however, interest-based groups that meet regularly. I knew people who participated in things such as book clubs based from the local subdivisions, or poetry groups in a small city, or similar gatherings. But no purely neighborhood groups. One of my former neighbors (this was in WA) said they used to have block parties about 20 years earlier.

People are just too busy trying to keep up financially, and long commutes don't help. Neither does the substance abuse and absorption in digital devices.

But I agree with the above two posters that an oddly high percentage of the PNW population (but definitely not everyone there) is a little "off".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or