Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to move to Seattle to join one of the big four tech companies.

Good role with good money. Having the company name on my resume would be a great booster.

Having some second thoughts mainly surrounding the desire to move to the west coast.

I'm in my 30's. Have moved around quite a bit over the past 5 years. Really looking to settle down now.

Wondering if you all think there is any benefit to relocating to Seattle for just to take a position with one of the big four companies. I am pretty sure that 1-2 years would be the max time I would really want to stay in the west. Mainly because of the distance from family.

Like to also add that my goal in the next 2-3 years is to start my own business, so building my resume is basically a non factor. Also wanting to be close to family in the south.

Do you think the experience of working with a company like Microsoft, Google or Amazon is worth relocating across the country for a 1-2 year time frame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Usa, you sound like you love your family, don't underestimate that. What I will say though is that a couple of years won't kill you. There are good flights from Seattle to many places in the south, I'm from Miami originally. You'll have a good experience and learn about a culture/part of the country you haven't known before. That's never a bad thing and will make you a more well rounded/interesting person whatever you choose to do later.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 AM

513 posts, read 498,875 times
I guess it depends on what you want. Since you say building your resume is a non-factor, I'll put the marketability of the tech company aside.

If Seattle seems like a fun adventure, or a place you've always wanted to live, go for it.

You can look at a lot of posts here about the pros and cons of Seattle. In a nutshell:

+
Outdoor activities galore
Good food
Good cultural amenities
Beautiful summer

-
Expensive housing
Homeless people everywhere
Long grey winters
Traffic is bad and transit is crowded

+ or - depending on your point of view:
Progressive politics
Diversity

If it is the large retailer similar to Walmart, you'd probably be quitting in about 2-5 years anyway-- they are a very hard driving company and most people leave after a few years.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 AM

547 posts, read 506,597 times
What do you have to lose?
You can always go back.
Come out and sponge some money off of them, that's what everybody else is doing.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I don't think any of us are going to be able to answer your questions. Far too personal.

What matters to any of us is not going to be the same for you.

Look in the mirror and ask the questions again. See how the person in the mirror responds and that's what you should do.

I would say.. if being in the PNW strikes no interest for you (I'm seriously struggling to comprehend how that's even possible, but whatever....), you want to remain near your family and *at most* looking at ONE or TWO years.. then it's probably not worth it. If you've got the talent and skills to get an offer here then that very likely means you're competitive where you are already.

People are telling you it could be an adventure, and that's true.. but you could also end up miserable .. especially if you're tight with your family and come from southern hospitality sorta places. Just check out the Seattle Freeze threads. I personally know a couple that come from a southern state and worked for one of the big companies. They were here for 2 years. The wife was the one having the hardest time... They are back east and she started her own business in pregnancy and birthing services (doula)... totally NOT what she went to school for, but her experience of being lonely, depressed and pregnant in high tech Seattle helped her find a new calling in life....

So you never know...

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 AM

455 posts, read 597,946 times
Nobody's mentioned that OP should join a hiking group once he gets here?

I am disappoint

Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Just because you are starting your own business doesn't mean that having this on your resume is worthless, if you need to secure capital either to start or expand having a big name on your CV is going to help. Potential customers are going to look over your qualifications and it's always good to have something to brag about. Finally, assuming your business will be somewhat related to the work you would be doing here, you could make some valuable contacts. If you want to run a successfully business the key is networking, networking, networking.

I went to school back east and knew I wouldn't like it, but forced myself to go and even though I missed home, the experience was worth it.

The other C-D'ers are right, it's an extremely personal decision, but I say do it, just know that it will have it's challenges as mentioned above. One or two years pass pretty quickly, especially in hindsight and at the very least if you happily move back south you can regale your family with the harrowing winter of some rain and low clouds.

All that being said, it's not all doom and gloom, check out Homes' thread about the great things the area has to offer, I'll even add another post to it.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Wow, these are some of the best responses I have ever gotten on city data.

Really appreciate the insight.

I can honestly say some of the threads I have read about the Seattle freeze have brought reservations.

Have a lot to think to think about in the next couple of weeks. Definitely feel things are more clearer after reading these posts. Thanks so much!

Last edited by usamathman; 06-29-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 11:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
This has been mentioned in other threads....

Some people have a hard time adjusting to the grey winters we have here; they find winter here to be depressing.

This may be a deal breaker for some.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
When my father started his own business, I can say it helped a lot that he could tell his clients that he had years of experience at a very large, prestigious firm in his industry. They will ask, and it will matter. FWIW, he also moved to a city he wasn't crazy about in order to build his expertise, and then he moved back to our hometown and built a very thriving business.

So long as the job is in your field, and adding to your expertise - it might very well be worth more than you think. I also have some of those big names on my resume, and that can open doors that you don't realize exist.

Your family will be a phone call/facetime/email away, and if you're not thinking of it as permanent, then the time will fly, and you'll be back before you know it. Heck, consider living light and saving as much as you can for setting yourself up to put down some roots when you do move back. And definitely think of it as an adventure and make some plans to see part of the country you might not get back to. The scenery here is like nowhere else, and we've got some cool cities nearby (like Vancouver and Portland) that are well worth a few of your weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area