Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:20 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times

Advertisements

The rock and roll/pop scene is thriving right now. Just last night there were 2 separate shows and most of the people in the bands were all from the "grunge" era. Loads of talented people are still here and they are still playing and recording and designing and touring and putting out records. Everything is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,648 times
Musician here who will chime in.

I think it depends on how the current tech boom continues to play out, and how Seattle continues to respond (i.e - Will new housing growth help w/COL at all? Will the tech boom fizzle out?). While Seattle's music scene still has a lot going for it for a city of it's size (Plenty of good live music events/venues, and opportunities in certain genres), it's noticeably less vibrant than a decade ago, and as far as I've been told, a far cry from the 1990's (I was a little one back then, but as we all know, Seattle was very musically influential during that time!).

I think there's a one-two punch at play here. The tech boom has definitely altered the culture of Seattle to some degree. Re-development and COL spikes have pushed out many artists/creative types, as well as caused a few notable venues to shut their doors/make way for the wrecking ball. You could also argue that "tech culture" is becoming more prevalent, and is turning Seattle into more of an educated professional/careerist city. But there's also the changes in the music industry as a whole at play here as well (i.e - it can be argued that it's harder to earn a living from music nowadays, with lower gig pay, lower record sales, and higher COL in most major cities).

Overall, I think it's a situation where musicians/artists will have to adapt to the circumstances to stay in cities/keep them artistically & culturally vibrant (i.e - have decent paying day/side gigs outside of music).

Old 07-03-2017, 03:14 PM

337 posts, read 494,750 times
I honestly don't think that there is anything to worry about. Every major city will always have a creative force of people within it regardless of the economic situation. There are plenty of bands and musicians, the thing is most people only want to attend events featuring people they know or whom are already popular. To really get an idea as to what's going on, you have to dig under the surface and attend shows at local clubs which regularly feature local original music. Again, most people just can't be bothered to do that. Not everyone makes it into The Stranger, and i've found that by the time The Stranger picks-up on someone, they are already known around town. Go to original music clubs on a Tuesday night, you'll see mainly musicians hanging around because they are either supporting the scene or actually a member of one of the bands playing that night. Of all the shows I played around town over 12 years ago, I only ever met a handful of people whom came out just because they were curious and didn't know anyone. To the outside world, those small and poorly-attended shows look like loserville. But...that's where it all starts.

I've found that mid-size and smaller cities actually have an easier time of attracting locals to shows and events. Big cities are often stuck on themselves and they have a lot of different things to choose from. I've always had a great time playing in Spokane, Olympia or Salem (for example). I remember the pay-to-play scenarios at the more known venues in Los Angeles and those gigs often didn't help push anything further.

But a local scene is out there, you just have to be more curious and adventurous. The reality is that nobody really cares about art and creativity...until it becomes popular. Then everybody suddenly loves it.

Last edited by Polymorphist; 07-03-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 706,461 times
tech n gloomy kingdom

Old 07-19-2017, 01:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Musician here who will chime in.

I think it depends on how the current tech boom continues to play out, and how Seattle continues to respond (i.e - Will new housing growth help w/COL at all? Will the tech boom fizzle out?). While Seattle's music scene still has a lot going for it for a city of it's size (Plenty of good live music events/venues, and opportunities in certain genres), it's noticeably less vibrant than a decade ago, and as far as I've been told, a far cry from the 1990's (I was a little one back then, but as we all know, Seattle was very musically influential during that time!).

I think there's a one-two punch at play here. The tech boom has definitely altered the culture of Seattle to some degree. Re-development and COL spikes have pushed out many artists/creative types, as well as caused a few notable venues to shut their doors/make way for the wrecking ball. You could also argue that "tech culture" is becoming more prevalent, and is turning Seattle into more of an educated professional/careerist city. But there's also the changes in the music industry as a whole at play here as well (i.e - it can be argued that it's harder to earn a living from music nowadays, with lower gig pay, lower record sales, and higher COL in most major cities).

Overall, I think it's a situation where musicians/artists will have to adapt to the circumstances to stay in cities/keep them artistically & culturally vibrant (i.e - have decent paying day/side gigs outside of music).
I've been a performing/recording musician in Seattle from the mid 90's until today, and this post is not only a very VERY good summary of where we are now, it's so much so I don't have a single thing to add. If you want a good answer to the OP question, just read the above.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times
Default Seattle Music Scene

You have to subscribe to Band In Seattle, and then determine for yourself. We have pretty good bluegrass bands up and coming. Rock isn't as hardcore or the popular genre anymore. Many overlapping styles combined in one band now. I like these bands. The lead singer of Duke Evers has a strong resonant voice (he's handsome too).

1. Duke Evers
2. Polecat
3. Vaudeville Etiquette
4. Staxx Brothers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area