Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Enumclaw is a little out there. Feels like a far away western town. and takes forever to get anywhere. I live in Renton. Renton can't be praised or dismissed, because some areas are much nicer than others. But generally speaking, it's close enough to Seattle or Bellevue that the daily commutes people do aren't too horrible. I wouldn't rule out Burien or Normandy Park either.
Enumclaw has a major draw of interest to me. It looks somewhat "rural" in the sense that it is kind of far out (which I like) but yet still has the trees & distant view of Mt Rainer. The housing market is very affordable and crime seems little to none.

I will check out Burien & Normandy Park as well.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Routes 164 (to Auburn), 169 (to Black Diamond, Maple Valley, and Renton), and 410 (to Buckley, Bonney Lake, and Puyallup) from Enumclaw are bottlenecked, helping to explain its lower housing costs. Leaving and returning early could get a jump on the traffic.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
If you can live out of town, great. If you drive for a living to clients or whatnot, also great. Had a job out of college for seven years that usually kept me on the road, I've seen every inch of California north of Santa Clara County and loved it. Lived in east Bay, when I was home (roughly half the time).

Once here, you think Seattle is like Bay Area, and spend a year trying to shoehorn your expectations that A = B. It doesn't. It's roughly ten degrees cooler any given time, which dramatically changes wardrobe, and the rain thing has 5K responses so I'll leave that alone. People also behave differently, horizons are smaller here. Like small town South, the local Moo U schools are about all that matters. The world-class school, University of Washington, is sort of a Berkeley north and another matter entirely (I went to Moo U undergrad, in all fairness, but an Ivy for grad work).

There is less to do, but it is qualitatively different. I'd live in CA if it wasn't a tax-hell, but if pigs had wings there would be flying bacon for breakfast. So, I left, and made my fortune here since there are absolutely fortunes to be made in tech anyway. Housing long since passed "affordable" so that day is done for good(?).

I spent a year hiking, that's a bottomless and fascinating well here. Spent another couple summers running, ditto the scenery and opportunities to trail-run. Then off road motorcycling. Photography. On and on, things unique to this wild and more isolated than you think state.

I want to fly away for a weekend, it's a quick hop from Horizon or Southwest to the West (my interest). I seldom go east of the "Furthest East Western City" (Kansas City) or heaven forbid "Furthest West Eastern City" (St. Louis). DFW is do-able if you enjoy Texas (I don't). Just keep that in mind, if you travel lots (I don't, just a few times/year). I've not yet gotten bored taking a fast flight to LA or SD, I don't bother with SFO since I know just about every inch of downtown (literally) from my 20's bar crawling and exploring.

Your housing budget is low, you know that. Good luck, though.

Enumclaw: a small town, a bit out-there. I liked it, working for a client there about a year and daily commuting (= long commute). YMMV, it is a different world than Seattle area.

Kent, Auburn, Renton: working class with nice, and scummy areas. They're alright, lot of construction.

Covington: booming. I have no use for Covington, Maple Valley, that whole south-end thing by and large since it's sprawl in poor taste.

Yet I'm not sure your budget will support otherwise, so again: good luck, it may work out with frugal house hunting. Since Seattle proper has the fastest growing house prices in the US (per Case Shiller) may wish to re-think "rent for a year" if homes are 15% higher next year. Can't predict trends, but something to seriously consider.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
If you can live out of town, great. If you drive for a living to clients or whatnot, also great. Had a job out of college for seven years that usually kept me on the road, I've seen every inch of California north of Santa Clara County and loved it. Lived in east Bay, when I was home (roughly half the time).

Once here, you think Seattle is like Bay Area, and spend a year trying to shoehorn your expectations that A = B. It doesn't. It's roughly ten degrees cooler any given time, which dramatically changes wardrobe, and the rain thing has 5K responses so I'll leave that alone. People also behave differently, horizons are smaller here. Like small town South, the local Moo U schools are about all that matters. The world-class school, University of Washington, is sort of a Berkeley north and another matter entirely (I went to Moo U undergrad, in all fairness, but an Ivy for grad work).

There is less to do, but it is qualitatively different. I'd live in CA if it wasn't a tax-hell, but if pigs had wings there would be flying bacon for breakfast. So, I left, and made my fortune here since there are absolutely fortunes to be made in tech anyway. Housing long since passed "affordable" so that day is done for good(?).

I spent a year hiking, that's a bottomless and fascinating well here. Spent another couple summers running, ditto the scenery and opportunities to trail-run. Then off road motorcycling. Photography. On and on, things unique to this wild and more isolated than you think state.

I want to fly away for a weekend, it's a quick hop from Horizon or Southwest to the West (my interest). I seldom go east of the "Furthest East Western City" (Kansas City) or heaven forbid "Furthest West Eastern City" (St. Louis). DFW is do-able if you enjoy Texas (I don't). Just keep that in mind, if you travel lots (I don't, just a few times/year). I've not yet gotten bored taking a fast flight to LA or SD, I don't bother with SFO since I know just about every inch of downtown (literally) from my 20's bar crawling and exploring.

Your housing budget is low, you know that. Good luck, though.

Enumclaw: a small town, a bit out-there. I liked it, working for a client there about a year and daily commuting (= long commute). YMMV, it is a different world than Seattle area.

Kent, Auburn, Renton: working class with nice, and scummy areas. They're alright, lot of construction.

Covington: booming. I have no use for Covington, Maple Valley, that whole south-end thing by and large since it's sprawl in poor taste.

Yet I'm not sure your budget will support otherwise, so again: good luck, it may work out with frugal house hunting. Since Seattle proper has the fastest growing house prices in the US (per Case Shiller) may wish to re-think "rent for a year" if homes are 15% higher next year. Can't predict trends, but something to seriously consider.

I can't speak for the real estate market next year, but as of now, a max budget of $500K, would get us literally any of the cities I first mentioned, and a nice home at that. I don't mind driving, I don't mind rainy weather (actually prefer it). I feel saying $500K is "low" isn't accurate, being that we don't want to live in/near Seattle, so thanks for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area