Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 30 cities would you consider leaving Seattle for?
Palm Springs, California 3 6.38%
St. Paul, Minnesota 0 0%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 5 10.64%
New Orleans, Louisiana 2 4.26%
St. Augustine, Florida 0 0%
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0 0%
St. Petersburg, Florida 1 2.13%
Dunedin, Florida 1 2.13%
Sarasota, Florida 1 2.13%
Atlanta, Georgia 3 6.38%
Greenville, South Carolina 0 0%
Charleston, South Carolina 2 4.26%
Savannah, Georgia 1 2.13%
Raleigh, North Carolina 2 4.26%
Durham, North Carolina 0 0%
The Woodlands, Texas 0 0%
Omaha, Nebraska 1 2.13%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 2.13%
Annapolis, Maryland 0 0%
Providence, Rhode Island 2 4.26%
Portland, Maine 4 8.51%
Madison, Wisconsin 2 4.26%
Charlottesville, Virginia 0 0%
Fayetteville, Arkansas 1 2.13%
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 0 0%
Burlington, Vermont 0 0%
Columbus, Ohio 2 4.26%
Salem, Massachusetts 3 6.38%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 4 8.51%
Astoria, Oregon 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,719,145 times

Advertisements

Not really an odd list since many of these are experience a strong influx of new residents. I would have included Anchorage as well given most of my friends in Seattle are there for the lifestyle first and job second. Almost every one else in my group would be in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
Traffic Jams in Seattle have become an all day thing. I would like to say that traffic in Seattle goes from 2pm to 7pm but it seems even worse than that. It's pretty much reached a point where it's non-stop traffic in Seattle. It just never seems to end.
I wouldn't go quite as far as to say non-stop, more like 6am-8pm, 10pm on weekends. I drove in to my office in Seattle (Belltown) this morning from Sammamish in 24 minutes via I90. If I leave here on time at 2:30 I will get home in 40 minutes, with only a jam on the 99 viaduct to the stadium area, at the limit the rest of the way. If I stay any later, the drive time goes up by about 5 minutes for every 15 minutes I stay here.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:50 PM

75 posts, read 89,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, there's something wrong with your list. Where are the California towns? I can tell you, that nobody who's grown up on the West Coast will want to move to any of the humid places you've listed, nor to anyplace with heavy snow. Your list of criteria is irrelevant.
California is expensive. Also, the weather in California is kind of boring. It's like the movie Groundhog Day. I used to live in Alameda, California right across the water from San Francisco and next to Oakland and the weather felt like it was the same every day. On one hand it was nice but on another hand it was so boring. There were many days when I would have liked to have some rain or some clouds for a change.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 PM

236 posts, read 288,394 times
One thing about this list, it has generated a lot of comments

Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
D) none of the above?

Only move for SF, LA, or NYC

Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,638 times
As a Minnesotan I'm happy to see Minneapolis is winning. To whoever said that Minneapolis
And St. Paul are the same, they are mistaken. They might be the twin cities but they are worlds different.

I'm already leaving Seattle for somewhere not on the list but the end game in roughly 5 years will be back in the greater Minneapolis area. I love the people. The seasons. The simplicity that is life. The people. The people. The people.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
As a Minnesotan I'm happy to see Minneapolis is winning. To whoever said that Minneapolis
And St. Paul are the same, they are mistaken. They might be the twin cities but they are worlds different.

I'm already leaving Seattle for somewhere not on the list but the end game in roughly 5 years will be back in the greater Minneapolis area. I love the people. The seasons. The simplicity that is life. The people. The people. The people.
I'm not saying they're the same but they are in the same metro area. I wouldn't say they are "worlds different". If you move to the MSP metro you have easy access to both cities.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:52 AM

735 posts, read 868,098 times
I read through the list and quickly realized that OP doesn't like the Pacific Northwest weather and he doesn't like Seattle traffic, nothing wrong with that, but OP could have made a more effective poll.

OP you fell victim to a common marketing mistake, giving too many choices, which can actually lead to annoyance. The problem is that you are trying to ask two questions and thus the long list of answers.

You are asking about weather and traffic, to find out about weather ask something along the lines of this: Would you move to the Northeast, the Midwest, the South, the Southwest or stay in the Pacific Northwest? People know what the weather entails in those regions.

You could also be more direct. Do you prefer four distinct seasons, subtropical weather, hot dry sunny weather, or moderate temperate weather?

Why give 17 answers for relatively hot and humid places if someone would never want to live in that type climate? Though, if you are wondering where you might want to live, that is pretty telling.

As for your city selection, you obviously prefer less congestion then Seattle has to offer, well who doesn't, but for the people that like the region they view it as a trade off for the quality of life they enjoy.

This post is already too long, but if you want examples on how to poll for that, let me know.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:04 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,251,615 times
As the list is already a bit schizophrenic, why not add Sri Lanka, Bali and Colombia (all cool places I've been and would retire to) just for fun ?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM

731 posts, read 932,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
California is expensive. Also, the weather in California is kind of boring. It's like the movie Groundhog Day. I used to live in Alameda, California right across the water from San Francisco and next to Oakland and the weather felt like it was the same every day. On one hand it was nice but on another hand it was so boring. There were many days when I would have liked to have some rain or some clouds for a change.
You don't find the gray in Seattle November through March to be kind of boring? Or is it still new enough that it feels different to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area