Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 01:56 PM

56 posts, read 116,627 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are considering buying in Bothell near exit 24. I work in Seattle downtown, spouse works in Redmond.
How bad is the traffic situation, compared to other locations?
We've heard about how bad the traffic from Bothell to Seattle/Redmond is, but is it really that bad even from near exit 24?
Based on Google maps timings, some of the other locations we've considered seem to be equally bad.

Redmond - Depending on location, it might take 30-50 mins to Seattle as lot of Redmond is away from highways.
Sammamish - Again, away from highway, so Seattle commute times are high.
Issaquah - Distance wise similar to Bothell, but just looking at the map, it seems like from Bothell to Seattle, you have two options - I405 and I5 or I405 and 520.
Kenmore - Some locations in Kenmore are better distance wise, but due to distance from highways, it seems to take about the same time.
Ballard - It takes about 20 mins to Seattle atleast and commute to Redmond will be lot longer.

Are any of the above locations better for our situation? Price-wise Bothell is much better than these locations.

Our criteria is good school district, not more than 10-15 year old SFH, with a community like feel(no 1 acre lots) - parks nearby, not too far from restaurant/stores (within few miles is fine - not looking for restaurants at walking distance)

Kirkland is definitely a better location, but expensive. So is Bellevue.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattler123 View Post
Hi all,

We are considering buying in Bothell near exit 24. I work in Seattle downtown, spouse works in Redmond.
We've heard about how bad the traffic from Bothell to Seattle/Redmond is, but is it really that bad even from near exit 24?

Thanks
Of course it's bad...it's a major pain getting downtown from there by SOV and I'd personally not try it under any circumstances during commute hours. But oh wait: the 522 bus from the Beardslee transit center/bus station, near Exit 24 off I-405, to some arbitrary point downtown...University Station...is listed as 53 minutes. You won't top that outside of a transit van, if-that.

Another problem solved via Google Maps.

Same commute via Kirkland Transit Center is basically the same, via bus, to the minute. Ask me how I know. So much for "expensive."

Driving downtown is just stupid anymore, unfortunately.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 116,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Of course it's bad...it's a major pain getting downtown from there by SOV and I'd personally not try it under any circumstances during commute hours. But oh wait: the 522 bus from the Beardslee transit center/bus station, near Exit 24 off I-405, to some arbitrary point downtown...University Station...is listed as 53 minutes. You won't top that outside of a transit van, if-that.

Another problem solved via Google Maps.

Same commute via Kirkland Transit Center is basically the same, via bus, to the minute. Ask me how I know. So much for "expensive."

Driving downtown is just stupid anymore, unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply.
I guess the traffic situation is pretty bad in Seattle, so I was more looking for relative commute times vs other locations. There are lot of threads about traffic from Bothell being bad, but is it too much worse than some other locations?
Yes, we would try to use public transport/office shuttles/vanpool as much as possible.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:33 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
I think exit 24 (Northcreek) is better than Canyon Park (exit 26). That two mile section of 405 is pretty brutal. Basically the further south you go, the better it is. Or go north to Lynnwood and have easy access to 5 and 405. But then lose the Northshore school district nsd.org.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:29 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I guess the traffic situation is pretty bad in Seattle, so I was more looking for relative commute times vs other locations. There are lot of threads about traffic from Bothell being bad, but is it too much worse than some other locations?
Yes, we would try to use public transport/office shuttles/vanpool as much as possible.
The problem with Kenmore, Bothell, and Woodinville is that they are a long way from the I-5 Express Lanes, with 522/Lake City Way, 523/145th, and Northgate Way all bottlenecked during commute hours. Transit benefits from BAT (Bus Access & Transit) Lanes along many major thoroughfares and arterials.

Shoreline, Edmonds, and Lynnwood benefit from being much closer to I-5 and 99.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,196,452 times
Hi Seattler! Have you considered Lake Forest Park or Mountlake Terrace? They would roughly split the commute time evenly for you two, be in your price range and allow you both to avoid bridges. South Bellevue (Factoria, Newport Hills) would work too, but may be a little more expensive than where you are looking in Bothell.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,716 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Based on Google maps timings, some of the other locations we've considered seem to be equally bad.

Redmond - Depending on location, it might take 30-50 mins to Seattle as lot of Redmond is away from highways.
Sammamish - Again, away from highway, so Seattle commute times are high.
Issaquah - Distance wise similar to Bothell, but just looking at the map, it seems like from Bothell to Seattle, you have two options - I405 and I5 or I405 and 520.
Kenmore - Some locations in Kenmore are better distance wise, but due to distance from highways, it seems to take about the same time.
Ballard - It takes about 20 mins to Seattle atleast and commute to Redmond will be lot longer.

Are any of the above locations better for our situation? Price-wise Bothell is much better than these locations.

Our criteria is good school district, not more than 10-15 year old SFH, with a community like feel(no 1 acre lots) - parks nearby, not too far from restaurant/stores (within few miles is fine - not looking for restaurants at walking distance)

Thanks
It depends what time you're leaving and where exactly you are. I'm at exit 22. If I need to go to downtown, I take the back roads in Kenmore and go over the top of the lake to 522 and then to I5, because I don't want to pay the toll, and because I want to avoid 405. It takes 40-45 minutes. In the evening, it's an hour and a half commute if I leave anytime between 4 and 6:30 pm. From 6:30 pm onwards, traffic seems to die down. I can't comment on the Redmond commute.

At 24, you will be much better than at 26.

Bothell will appreciate much more than Issaquah IMO, partly due to Issaquah being set at a higher price point currently, and Bothell having such good schools and being relatively close to Seattle and Eastside job centers. Kenmore will take some time to appreciate but due to its location, it will as well. Issaquah is nice and has a good school district - all these places do (although I can't speak to Ballard's). Issaquah is a straight shot into Seattle, but the houses are very close together, at least in the highlands. Ballard has traffic and is a pain to get in and out of - I'd avoid living there due to the traffic alone (personal choice), although it has a lot of fun restaurants and I love to go there to visit. I agree with you on Kirkland, but look at places in Finn Hill and Rose Hill and even Kingsgate and Totem Lake neighborhoods in Kirkland - there's a new shopping center going up in Totem Lake with a Whole Foods and a bunch of other things. These areas of Kirkland tend to be priced better and the Lake WA School District is good.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
Consider NE Seattle:

1. Drive to Northgate Park 'n Ride.

2. You catch #41 to Downtown (20 minutes). She catches ST 555 to Montlake and transfers to ST 545 to Redmond (55 minutes). Note: Light rail will be running from Northgate in 2021 to Downtown, to Bellevue and Overlake in 2023, and to Redmond in 2024, which should shorten your commute some and hers a lot.

3. On return commute, you'll need to wait for her. Drive home together.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,052,983 times
Just take the bus and don't worry about the traffic. Cars should be completely prohibited in downtown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area