Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,814 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this thread. I live in Renton - Kennydale to be precise - on a .3 acre lot with complete privacy, as in I am frequently in my backyard totally nude and my neighbors have no idea. I commute to downtown Seattle during the week, it's about 35-45 minutes on the bus and 35-50 minutes driving. On the weekends, it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to get downtown.

I'm pleased that we purchased our home in 2010 for 40% of what it's worth today, but similar homes can be had in this area for about $500k today. Seems like a lot of elitist cynicism in this thread.

Last edited by Wellieboots; 08-13-2017 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: extra word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:00 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
Hi all. I have visited Seattle as a tourist and fell in love! The whole area around Seattle is absolutely stunning. I currently live on East Coast and just hate it here. Me and my husband plan to move to Seattle next year if possible. We are looking for some ideas on what to expect money wise. We make decent money and would like to live in a safe place near Seattle within 30 min drive. We work from home and will likely keep our jobs or get a new job in the area. We would prefer to spend no more than 750k on a home. But our requirements are privacy due to issues we had many years ago with neighbors. We have a large yard now and would like something with an acre or more. Can you suggest some areas where one can get a house for under 750k with a little land for privacy. Not much, 1 acre would do. We also don't care for the whole family friendly thing. I would prefer a neighborhood with different people and not just stay at moms with 3-4 kids so I could make some friends.
At the same time we want to live someplace safe with close to zero crime. Any suggestions?
Check out Duvall....definitely get the acreage and a nice house in that range. Okay, a bit more than 30 minutes to Seattle but you can be in Bellevue within 30 minutes if you avoid rush times.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,287,553 times
Hi Nude Wellieboots (good to have Wellies on 1/3 acre in the PNW, though you really should watch out for those blackberry thorns ), fair points you made but anything with good square footage (I'm talking 2200-2600 square feet or more) in good condition in Kennydale on 1/4-1/3 acre would be about $600k, often closer to $650k. If someone could kick down to 1400 SF, you might be able to pull it off for $550k. I agree with you, your area is a relative value and a comfortable, underrated place to live. I think you may be understating the commute time a bit, can be a real bottleneck getting to 405 and then on the 405 itself. To achieve the kind of commute time you claim, you probably leave early or live very close to 405, which jacks the price up of course.

Also, you'll notice in the thread. The OP started the thread talking about an acre, we have attempted to nudge them toward being okay with a smaller wooded lot, I'm not sure we've gotten to 1/3 acre yet . Also, they seem to be focused on areas with zero crime. Although we all know that's not going to happen, some of these other areas being discussed do a little better in that respect than Renton. Perhaps relevant too and indeed related to future property value, Renton schools have made great strides. They don't, however, approach the overall test performance of Bellevue, Redmond, Bothell, Sammamish, certainly not at the high school level. That's not elitism, just statistics.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 08-13-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 AM

989 posts, read 781,618 times
Check out the Lynnwood area it's close to everything and housing is still pretty reasonable. I don't live there but we spend a lot of time in the area because of family.

https://www.redfin.com/city/10421/WA...76553513461287

Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 PM

20,860 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
Check out the Lynnwood area it's close to everything and housing is still pretty reasonable. I don't live there but we spend a lot of time in the area because of family.

https://www.redfin.com/city/10421/WA...76553513461287
The original poster had a requirement of a minimum 1/2 acre lot size. If you add a filter to that Redfin link with a minimum 1/2 acre lot size you get a whopping 2 single-family results ... for $875K and $949K.

Just sayin'

Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM

450 posts, read 549,449 times
and we're trying to tell the OP that the lot size requirement is a bit misguided, given how much privacy one can achieve here due to the abundance of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area