Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times

Advertisements

I second the suggestion about the Renton Highlands, many parts are very pleasant. A good strategy is to approach homes that have been on the market between 8-30 days. This means that they survived the "review period", aren't getting bid up and they are actually available. Anything sitting more than 30 days (really even 21) in this market is a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM

814 posts, read 670,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Just a word of caution on the Mill Creek schools - at least the ones that are part of North Shore.
The schools are rated very well; however, they're having a problem with overcrowding. North Shore isn't the only district having this problem for sure, but your child may not go to the school that your home is zoned for - some friends in Bothell are having this problem for one of their kids that needs speech therapy. Their boy is bussed to a school 30 minutes away, while his sister goes to the school that's just 5 minutes down the road. Perhaps someone else can chime in about this.

I live in Maple Valley, and have three kids on the spectrum - all with an IEP. We've been happy with the schools here (Tahoma SD). There are homes in your price range, but they're small and probably don't have a separate workshop.

My husband commutes to Bellevue (Factoria), and it takes him about 30 minutes during non-peak hours.

Good luck
Thank you for your input. That's very unfortunate!

I've found a few areas between Maple Valley and Covington that could work for us. That school district gets great reviews. Is there a kids outlet for activities such as dance, gymnastics,etc.. outside of school? How is the commerce/shopping out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you're trying to stay close to Bellevue, and want to spend less than 400,000 for a house, I'd say Renton is a good choice, particularly the Renton Highlands( the eastern renton Highlands is more expensive, but the western Renton Highlands is improving and closer to Bellevue).
It's looking like Renton is rising to the top of our list. The schooling and accessibility is at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I second the suggestion about the Renton Highlands, many parts are very pleasant. A good strategy is to approach homes that have been on the market between 8-30 days. This means that they survived the "review period", aren't getting bid up and they are actually available. Anything sitting more than 30 days (really even 21) in this market is a dog.
If only the price per sq ft was like that of NE Tacoma or Maple Valley/Covington ugh..

That's a great tip.. Not a lot of homes are sitting by the looks of it.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:26 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Thank you for your input. That's very unfortunate!

I've found a few areas between Maple Valley and Covington that could work for us. That school district gets great reviews. Is there a kids outlet for activities such as dance, gymnastics,etc.. outside of school? How is the commerce/shopping out there?
The shopping here is convenient. There's a Fred Meyer and Safeway on 169 (the main drag), and Costco is about 10 minutes away in Covington. MV also has a QFC.

I think there's a gymnastics studio (and also dance). We also like Covington Aquatic Center, about 20 minutes from our house.

Another bonus: We have awesome views of Mt. Rainier

Old 09-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
The shopping here is convenient. There's a Fred Meyer and Safeway on 169 (the main drag), and Costco is about 10 minutes away in Covington. MV also has a QFC.

I think there's a gymnastics studio (and also dance). We also like Covington Aquatic Center, about 20 minutes from our house.

Another bonus: We have awesome views of Mt. Rainier
Thanks! there's much more than I thought then... great!

Was reading reviews about both Lake Wilderness Elementary and Glacier Park Elementary. There was mention of Lake Wilderness having 15 portables to house all the kids, is the population growing that much? Any input on either school?

Old 09-02-2017, 11:21 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Thanks! there's much more than I thought then... great!

Was reading reviews about both Lake Wilderness Elementary and Glacier Park Elementary. There was mention of Lake Wilderness having 15 portables to house all the kids, is the population growing that much? Any input on either school?
Yes! Lake Wilderness Elementary is all new and ready for the 2017/2018 school year. No more trailers to my knowledge. My daughter attended pre-K there, great experience!

My middle child attended Glacier Park last year, and we got to know the staff - again, great experience. He received the one-on-one help that he needed.

We have been rezoned from Glacier Park to Rock Creek this year, and I am happy to report that all three of my kids will be in ONE school!

Also, the new high school will be open for the new school year. It's large! The old Tahoma HS is a little out of town, in Covington (the school's natatorium is the Covington Aquatic Center that I mentioned earlier). It's now across from my neighborhood, so should make for interesting traffic in the mornings

Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Well that's great news!

It does sound like the area must be growing quite a bit. Good to see the community being built up.

Thanks for all your input btw

Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 PM

Well just got back from a long drive through the north end. Here's some rough takes on the areas let me know if you guys differ or if I missed something.

Mountlake Terrace- Got off 236th and went to a few listings nearby around the 400k mark. Old ran down 60's neighborhoods mainly. Not well kept in the least bit. Area seemed a bit dirty and unkept overall.

Brier- Headed east into Brier and lots got bigger and things cleaned up a bit. Newer track home developments started popping up. Not much listed but cleaner area overall.

Bothell- Kept going east and things got even cleaner. Much more commerce and buzz. Quite a few new and old track home developments, but well kept overall. Not much in our price range $350-425k. Fingers crossed and keeping an eye out.

Mill Creek- Headed north on 527 and took in the commerce. Looks to be quite a few places to eat/shop. Stopped off at a few 70's ramblers just south of hwy 96 and was impressed with how the neighborhoods were kept. Wrapped things up by going to a nice Thai restaurant in the Mill Creek Town Center. Dare I say.. very impressive strip mall. Tucked away and well kept. Was good to see a nice run of stores without neon lights blazing on the main drag. I'd say this is the most affordable for us right now in the north end. Could really see us living there. Can anyone shed any light on this area other than what we experienced?

Right now it's looking like...

1)Renton- Closest to Seattle/eastside, good schools
2)Maple Valley/Covington- More value per sq ft/ great schools
3)Mill Creek- decent value for money, good schools, new area to both me and my lady

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Well done NorCal, sounds like a good day. I was hiking, rock climbing and exploring all day out near Index. You ever been out there? Easy access to Hwy 2 and the mountains out there is one of the great things about living on the North side. It's also a little closer to Canada to run for the border when the Trump storm troopers bumrush us .

I don't think you could go wrong in any of those areas. Mill Creek is pleasant, most people who live there like it. That Central Market grocery store is excellent and there are a few more ethnic restaurants hiding close by. Another nice option from there is having commuting choices. You can bounce south on Bothell-Mill Creek Rd and hop on 405, or head all the way down to Bothell. You can take I-5, a number of overland street options too, depending on where you are going.

Apna Bazaar is a super South Indian grocery store/restaurant buzzing with people close to there. If you ever need to get your fried chicken on, Heaven Sent on 112th in S. Everett is your place. Not too far from Mill Creek, get the spicy. I like Mill Creek, many people do too.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Well done NorCal, sounds like a good day. I was hiking, rock climbing and exploring all day out near Index. You ever been out there? Easy access to Hwy 2 and the mountains out there is one of the great things about living on the North side. It's also a little closer to Canada to run for the border when the Trump storm troopers bumrush us .

I don't think you could go wrong in any of those areas. Mill Creek is pleasant, most people who live there like it. That Central Market grocery store is excellent and there are a few more ethnic restaurants hiding close by. Another nice option from there is having commuting choices. You can bounce south on Bothell-Mill Creek Rd and hop on 405, or head all the way down to Bothell. You can take I-5, a number of overland street options too, depending on where you are going.

Apna Bazaar is a super South Indian grocery store/restaurant buzzing with people close to there. If you ever need to get your fried chicken on, Heaven Sent on 112th in S. Everett is your place. Not too far from Mill Creek, get the spicy. I like Mill Creek, many people do too.
It was productive as was today! Worked both days but headed out around 4 yesterday and today with the thought of eliminating some areas.

I remember going there as a kid but haven't been back since. I'll have to revisit the area. My mom used to live up near Stevens before moving up to Friday Harbor almost 20 years ago. Beautiful country from what I can remember.

I really liked MC. Never really spent much time up past Seattle since growing up in the south end. Always nice to get to know a new area. A bit north but like Bothell it's nice to have the option to go down either arm to Seattle and Bellevue. Most of our commuting would be on the weekend and if the weekday we'd be able to pick our hours luckily (work from home).

Appreciate the intel! We've been meaning to find some good Indian food since moving up from the bay area. Not a lot going on in Burien.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 PM

Drove out to NE Tacoma today. Quite a bit has changed in 20 years out there. Definitely had to drive through a few depressed areas to get out towards Browns Point. Stopped along the way to look at some older early 1900's homes. Moved right along as you could tell they needed a lot of work. Next went by some older track homes in the lower 300k range. Lot of house for the money but I'd say 25-30% of the neighborhoods are depressed (peeling siding, unmanaged lawns, too many cars). Drove deeper into Browns Point and Dash Point. I always remembered liking these areas growing up. The lots opened up and were bigger and most houses were kept up. I was in awe.. quite a bit of square footage for the money. I found little pockets that I liked. Then reviewed the schools and drove around them. Not good. Is there a financial crisis in the Federal School District budget? Hard to believe all these schools have gone so far downhill. This is where people lived in the 80's/90's that had money.

Stopped in the Seatac Mall and it was pretty much a ghost town. It's turned into what I'd say is a step up from the swap meet. I don't think one store has survived since my childhood. Seemed to also be about half the stores. I suppose the aspiring designer or small business now has a place to showcase their work without competing with all the chain stores now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area