Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:28 PM

323 posts, read 448,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Jiff, you are bringing back memories, remember The Old Timers Cafe? I worked the door there for a spell in my 20s, fun place. J & M can still be fun sometimes, Cowgirls Inc seems to be full of visiting Canadians, can be fun if you don't take it too seriously. Oh, another place I loved back in the day was called Red Sea, on 1st. Anybody else remember that place? Excellent club, live top notch musicians from Jamaica and Africa, pretty reggae heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I love a little EDM now and again, have been known to pop into Foundation or Q nightclub for a fix when a great DJ is in town. My favorite places for music these days are all in the north end: Nectar Lounge in Fremont, the venerable Tractor Tavern in Ballard and the excellent Seamonster in Wallingford. Top notch live music, fun crowds. I'd put Nectar at the top of my list for good vibes, great music, friendly people and good age variety.
You bet I remember the Old Timer's. You might have checked my ID. I recall the bands playing on a balcony. Bruce Springsteen showed up once and jammed with the band. It's a kilt store now. I don't remember Red Sea. Must have been before my time. The one time I went to Cowgirls Inc it reminded me of a sexier rowdier Urban Cowboy reflection with the mechanical bull. Sexier being the girls dancing on the bar.

Used to go to Ballard a lot for music at The Backstage, Sunset, Conor Byrne and Tractor (New Melody before name change). Also Nectar, Crocodile, Owl & Thistle, etc. Now we mostly get our music at local cover band/dance joints, festivals and summer concert venues. I'm tired of the trek and parking hassle to see touring bands at bars in Ballard and elsewhere and not know if you'll have to stand and wait forever for the headliner to finally come on. We'll still go to places with reserved seating and decent hours, like The Moore, Paramount, Triple Door, Neptune, Jazz Alley, etc. Thing is, I've seen just about everyone I want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:35 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Good memories, how about Paragon and the Romper Room (QA and Lower QA) back in the day in mid 90s? Great spots. Nah, you prolly just weren't a reggae lover, Red Sea was also mid 90s.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
After working in Pioneer Square area I would never want to live there, but everyone has there own preferences. It'll be interesting to see how the viaduct coming down will change this area.

My cons:
Smells like ****, public urination encouraged.
If you leave a car overnight, you might just have a window smashed in the morning.
Aggggggresssive panhandlers. Don't carry cash, and use a debit card, well get ready for some insults/possible threats when you don't offer up some cash.
Those wacky tourists woop wooping it up. Cowgirls Inc. WOOP WOOP
Historic Buildings with Brick are super cool, except in an earthquake.

PROS:
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION- in the heart of the city.
Close to sporting events and concerts.
Old historic bars & good restaurants
Never a dull moment, especially after dark.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM

323 posts, read 448,977 times
Default PS after the Viaduct demolition, reggae

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the viaduct coming down will change this area.
There'll be a lot more traffic. Wouldn't be surprised if the city removes curb parking on 1st and replaces it with bike lanes.

Homesinseattle - I never went to any of those three places. I do like some occasional reggae. Clinton Fearon is the only local reggae guy I've seen. Pretty good.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Good memories, how about Paragon and the Romper Room (QA and Lower QA) back in the day in mid 90s? Great spots. Nah, you prolly just weren't a reggae lover, Red Sea was also mid 90s.
Remember the Bombay Bicycle Shop, in/near Pioneer Square? That was a happening place, for awhile.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;49442663]Remember the Bombay Bicycle Shop, in/near Pioneer Square? That was a happening place, for awhile.[/QUOT

Absolutely! And Parnell's jazz club.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:04 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
There'll be a lot more traffic. Wouldn't be surprised if the city removes curb parking on 1st and replaces it with bike lanes.
Isn't there going to be a dedicated trolley lane on 1st? Figure that will nix anything else.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I like it when I am on foot . I wish I could afford it . The way my husband and I appear people usually leave us alone ( or they ask us for something in your industry and the like ) most anywhere so I am not afraid . but I think it's a very interesting place . If I am with my 16 yr old I would only be down there during the day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: