Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:50 PM

235 posts, read 269,652 times

Advertisements

I’ll admit that I’ve been surprised how many houses in nice neighborhoods in this area look dumpy. Eastside is no exception. Lots of run down houses with mossy roofs and 2 cars in the front yard that haven’t run in 10 years even in Bellevue and Kirkland. Don’t think I’ve seen it to this extent in “upscale” neighborhoods in any of the previous 10 cities I’ve lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:42 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seattle neighborhoods have bad roads? As a general thing? I'm not aware of that. It's not true of the neighborhoods I or my friends have lived in.
Yes - Capitol Hill, Queen Ann and Ballard are probably the worst. The problem disappears when you exit city limits. For example, the difference between Greenwood and Shoreline is huge.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
You have your "Seattle blinders" on.

I live near Ravenna.

Here's a corner on Ravenna:

Looks like it could be Flint, MI.

Greenwood? The "Land of many sirens," as it is called? I lived there too. One of the dumpiest areas of Seattle Proper.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the residential neighborhoods. Obviously a "neighborhood" in the larger sense of the word seems nice if you live in a new apartment near upscale/trendy bars and restaurants.
The road looks like it has quake damage.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
A lot of residential streets in Seattle look like that. It's shameful really.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How long have you been in Seattle? I think you get accustomed to a certain style which I was accustomed to Texas style and when I first came to the PNW, I thought it looked a bit grungy (early 90's). I recently made a trip to Houston and a lot of that style of architecture there now looks either ostentatious or old fashioned to me now.
Once again ..... I never said I have a problem with the architectural style of Seattle homes. To the contrary, I love the style. I'm only bringing up the fact that most of said houses and their yards are run down, making the neighborhoods look and feel lifeless. Seattle would be an awesome place if every neighborhood had nicely manicured yards and freshly painted house like you see in a few select areas.

You guys keep drawing a false dichotomy: according to you, a neighborhood is either "old architecture and grungy (i.e. run down)" or "new and boring/generic." Obviously there is such a thing as nice Victorian-style houses and manicured yards.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
There's not going to be a lot of Victorian houses in Seattle. We only became a state in 1889. Seems like OP would be happier elsewhere.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Once again ..... I never said I have a problem with the architectural style of Seattle homes. To the contrary, I love the style. I'm only bringing up the fact that most of said houses and their yards are run down, making the neighborhoods look and feel lifeless. Seattle would be an awesome place if every neighborhood had nicely manicured yards and freshly painted house like you see in a few select areas.

You guys keep drawing a false dichotomy: according to you, a neighborhood is either "old architecture and grungy (i.e. run down)" or "new and boring/generic." Obviously there is such a thing as nice Victorian-style houses and manicured yards.
Everywhere I've lived in Seattle fits the bolded description. There are lots of well-tended neighborhoods. Why aren't you able to find those, OP? They're everywhere. And bear in mind that in order for homes to look "freshly-painted", people would have to paint them every five years or so. That's excessive. I'm sure you don't mean literally fresh paint.

Frankly, you sound depressed, OP. I think you should cruise Seattle neighborhoods, and take a good look. IME, it's harder to find the run-down ones, than the well-maintained ones.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
I’ll admit that I’ve been surprised how many houses in nice neighborhoods in this area look dumpy. Eastside is no exception. Lots of run down houses with mossy roofs and 2 cars in the front yard that haven’t run in 10 years even in Bellevue and Kirkland. Don’t think I’ve seen it to this extent in “upscale” neighborhoods in any of the previous 10 cities I’ve lived in.
People prefer to show their wealth in much more subtle ways.

I'm not even going to share how. I'll just say, the things described in this thread as "nice" I find tacky, nouveau-riche and just... gauche. Might as well put up a sign in the front yard with your job title and income and ask everyone to fill out a form about theirs as well. Even when you drive to Medina, you won't find houses like the ones you guys are describing here. They're much more tasteful.

On the contrary, the faux-Victorians (because as others have pointed out, we weren't a city in the Victorian era) are mainly found in new suburbs where land is cheaper.

I know more than one millionaire here and they are not talking about their jobs or showing me granite countertops and a faux-Victorian house (tacky). But I know they have money because of other subtle lifestyle effects... There are many multi-millionaires living in little mossy mid-century homes on Mercer Island. You might think their neighborhoods are trashy and it's "like Detroit".

Too bad you have no idea what people are actually enjoying. They are spending their money in places and doing things that you have no access to, and keeping it on the DL to keep social strivers out.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Neerwhal, good stuff. They certainly spend it on travel, I meet Seattleites in crazy, out of the way places all around the globe. I'm off to North Mozambique late December for a month of wandering, bet I find at least one Seattle person there. I actually met a Seattle guy (no joke) on a plane in Madagascar who became my client here in Seattle, met another on a bus in Tanzania who did the same. Lot's of "millionaire next door" types around here, I like it that way. I hear a lot of "what do you do for fun?" or "what makes you happy?" when I meet people for the first time here, rather than thinly veiled attempts at determining social status.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:53 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
People prefer to show their wealth in much more subtle ways.

I'm not even going to share how. I'll just say, the things described in this thread as "nice" I find tacky, nouveau-riche and just... gauche. Might as well put up a sign in the front yard with your job title and income and ask everyone to fill out a form about theirs as well. Even when you drive to Medina, you won't find houses like the ones you guys are describing here. They're much more tasteful.

On the contrary, the faux-Victorians (because as others have pointed out, we weren't a city in the Victorian era) are mainly found in new suburbs where land is cheaper.

I know more than one millionaire here and they are not talking about their jobs or showing me granite countertops and a faux-Victorian house (tacky). But I know they have money because of other subtle lifestyle effects... There are many multi-millionaires living in little mossy mid-century homes on Mercer Island. You might think their neighborhoods are trashy and it's "like Detroit".

Too bad you have no idea what people are actually enjoying. They are spending their money in places and doing things that you have no access to, and keeping it on the DL to keep social strivers out.
Er, Seattle's early days coincided with the Victorian era. There are Victorian style homes in Seattle's oldest and priciest central neighborhoods where, when homes were being built into the twentieth century, the style was very popular. I myself live in a ~120 year old Queen Anne style Victorian featured in the book Classic Houses of Seattle. Some may call it tacky but I cry foul at the faux - my home was built while Queen Victoria yet reigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area