Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
We get it Seattle. You hate cars.

-Mike
The vast majority of Seattle households own cars. I seriously doubt they hate them, although they might hate other people's cars (although I doubt that is limited to just Seattle). When I used to commute by car, I was often driven to exclaim, "Where did all these &%@#ing idiots come from!" I would then, however, typically reply to myself, "Well, I guess I'm one of them!" Liberals might dislike cars, for the sake of the environment, for one thing, but conservatives tend to hate drivers, and anything else that moves (pedestrians, bicyclists, buses, etc.), that won't get out of their way.

Given the growth we've experienced, I don't think we can dismiss that cars, especially SOVs, have become a problem, not just in Seattle, but throughout the Puget Sound Region. What the right mix of real solutions might be is open to debate, but the paving over of Seattle, the County, or the Region has been shown to be a political impossibility.

"Road warriors" in the region did have a chance in the 2007 Roads & Transit measure to add hundreds of miles of general traffic lanes, and thousands of park-n-ride slots, but chose instead to vote against light rail instead. Everything and more that was in the Transit portion has since been approved in following measures, although progress was certainly delayed. The Roads portion, or any significant portion of it, has not been brought back up to a vote, because it would certainly have gone down in defeat.

I'm a long-term Seattleite and carless transit user. I voted for every ST measure, including the Roads & Transit measure, because I believed increased transit and light rail were sorely needed. I also voted for the Viaduct (Car) Tunnel and was opposed to the "Replacement" (50% larger) and "Surface-Only" (Disappearing Car Magic Act) options. I also voted against McGinn, who I believe lied to Seattle voters to get elected. Although a Ballard resident, I didn't vote for Mike O'Brien due to his pushing the bogus "Surface-Only" option, which I took as a pretense for wreaking traffic havoc in order to justify forcing drivers onto buses, and won't vote for Cary Moon for the same reason. I want leaders who will actually get things done that will make things better, not worse.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 10-25-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
seattle worst traffic top five in country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area