Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 PM

26 posts, read 19,194 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your lost SunandRain. For the last 4 years, since I moved to Seattle area my house has been broken once, as well as my car. Both times "low enforcement" show up on time, officers took finger prints etc. but here is the surprise for you, they told me that even if they got the suspect, he/she not going to spend more that 2 weeks in the jail since this is considered a low crime in the county

The bitter truth is that real issues in Seattle are not police or homeless jerks, just read around and you can't miss how locals thing/act with the city's biggest problem... You have being told already that car break was your fault, not the innocent trashy hobo from nearby tent, he has nothing to do with it.

Seattle only problem is those gullible folks, those taxpayers that don't mind being taxed for the bright future of the low-property-crime, those who don't mind all illegal RV's and tent villages, those who believe homelessness we see around is everywhere across nation's bigger cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:47 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Sunandrain, I didn't think you put it in clear view, just visible to someone looking. That doesn't make it your fault, it sucks and I'm sorry. I grit my teeth when I clear stuff out of my car each afternoon, but I have learned to do it.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Good point? Boxer thought that I left my bag in plain view on the passenger seat or on the driver seat, or somewhere in the leg space in front of the passenger seat, which I did not do.

I left my bag IN the TRUNK of my SUV. SUV's and minivans have trunks that have windows on the sides and of course, in the back. So anybody getting close enough to my SUV can peep through the window and see contents in my trunk.

I guess from now on, I will cover up my bag or any valuable content with sheets of newspaper. I'm dead serious.
If it can be seen, don't leave it. Period. Your mistake.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:58 AM

4,902 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
My thought as well. If you can't hide it, take it with you. Don't expect the police to "fix" a stupid decision.

Calls to 911 are prioritized, from most urgent to least. To get moved to the very top of the list, your call might need to represent an ongoing or impending threat of violence to your or the public's safety or property. A vehicle break-in and a stolen bag, that has already happened, will be a low priority for a police response. Now, if reporting that somebody is trying to break into your car...

Each precinct has a set number of officers/cars available to respond to 911 calls. They are assigned on a priority basis. If your's is a lower priority call, you should expect a lower priority response. The police are your, the public's, servant only in the general sense. You shouldn't expect them to be at your every beck and call.

Some precincts have higher crime rates, violent or property, than others. In a less busy precinct, a lower priority call might float up to the top in fairly short order, while in a busier precinct a low priority call might never get to the top. Also, due to politics and an insufficient number of police to cover the city, some areas might have more police than are justified on a per capita basis, while others might have less. The rich and privileged might expect to get better service from the police, while the poor and underprivileged might have much lower expectations.
So very true!! I'm tired of people blaming the police for whatever happens to them, directly or indirectly... The real blame is on the mayor and city counsel members since they ALONE control the police and tell them their priorities to focus on... Not the other way around. If the mayor and all the city counsel members were ever serious about taking on the QoL issues in Seattle, thing would get better, but by the voting public not seeing the real truth of the situation and by the same public, blaming a "beat cop" for whatever crime, YOU/we, are giving them a pass of their elected duties.

If you're tired of property crimes, individuals treating our sidewalks as public toilets and the overall poor and getting poorer QoL issues here in Seattle, demand that our elected officials do their jobs and hold them responsible for results, not some stupid speech or painting some crosswalks a curtain color.

Until WE, as a people, demand that our elected officials do their jobs, nothing is ever going to change... Period.

Btw, if you are expecting the police to be your 24/7 protection, you're messing up big-time since ALL the major courts throughout the country stated very clearly that they do not have that obligation to the general public.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM

486 posts, read 842,689 times
Quote:
Good point? Boxer thought that I left my bag in plain view on the passenger seat or on the driver seat, or somewhere in the leg space in front of the passenger seat, which I did not do.

I left my bag IN the TRUNK of my SUV. SUV's and minivans have trunks that have windows on the sides and of course, in the back. So anybody getting close enough to my SUV can peep through the window and see contents in my trunk.

I guess from now on, I will cover up my bag or any valuable content with sheets of newspaper. I'm dead serious.
No, I sure didn't think that....but then again...you said TRUNK in the original post...so duh!

I have an SUV and I know they don't have trunks. I know exactly what happened...so your fault...pretty clear as day!

I find it comical that you would think the cops would spend time fingerprinting your car for a break in. This isn't Hawaii 5-0 or Magnum PI....if you think it is go back to the islands!

Old 11-05-2017, 11:53 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
OK SUVs have a window, but they also have a cover, so nothing could be seen. What kind of SUV of you have?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
Wow, did you even read my original post?

I said that I left my bag in the trunk of my SUV. In case you didn't know, SUV's (as well as minivans) have trunk areas with open windows where anybody can get close to the vehicle and peep into the trunk to see the contents in the trunk, versus a regular sedan car where the trunk does not encompass any open windows, so no one can see what's in your sedan trunk. Since that was the first time in my entire life that somebody has broken into my vehicle, and in the past, that I have left my bags and belongings in my SUV trunk....I had no idea that this break-in / vandalism was about to happen that night.

From that incident onward, I cover my bags with newspapers.
You think people who do smash-and-grabs don't know about the "cover bag with newspapers" ploy?

I've learned the hard way that you don't leave anything behind in your car, ever. Not a handful of change, not a pair of sunglasses, nothing. Why give someone an excuse to break in? When I first moved to the Seattle area, I drove to the city and left a child's rented clarinet inside my parked car. Of course the window was smashed and the instrument stolen.

In my very affluent Eastside area, people have learned not to leave student backpacks in locked cars parked in their own driveways, or workout bags, or laptop bags. Thieves will smash the windows and snatch the contents in a few moments when nobody is looking. When I leave my car at a Park and Ride, I don't even leave my registration and insurance papers in the glove box. No piece of paper with my address. Better safe than sorry.

You must have led a charmed life never to have learned this basic lesson.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but expecting police to rush over to a smash-and-grab location and dust for prints is deluded.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM

450 posts, read 550,156 times
my old SUV had a retractable cover type of covering that was black, which I would use to cover up anything visible in the back when in Seattle. It stretches taut and straight across the back and if you don't look closely it just looks like the trunk is empty. FWIW I spend most of my time nowadays on the Eastside and feel crime is much lower here.

Look into getting one of those covers I think that is better than newspapers.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
If you're tired of property crimes, individuals treating our sidewalks as public toilets and the overall poor and getting poorer QoL issues here in Seattle, demand that our elected officials do their jobs and hold them responsible for results, not some stupid speech or painting some crosswalks a curtain color.

Until WE, as a people, demand that our elected officials do their jobs, nothing is ever going to change... Period.

Btw, if you are expecting the police to be your 24/7 protection, you're messing up big-time since ALL the major courts throughout the country stated very clearly that they do not have that obligation to the general public.
Or until, we, as the people, are willing to vote for taxes to fund hiring enough police to cover both Downtown (including the ID) and the neighborhoods. There is a reason that a tax to fund public safety, including more police, hasn't been brought up for a vote here - both liberals and conservatives would be opposed to it.

In other words, first look at yourself in the mirror...

Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
More taxes? Taxes keep increasing without getting any benefits from them. Health coverage costs $500-1000 a month if your employer doesn't offer it (while all developed countries get it for a fraction of that), homeless and crime (mass shootings) have gone up (but nobody cares), roads and bridges are collapsing, traffic is a nightmare in all large cities. Nothing is done to fix these problems. It's ridiculous really. And they always want to increase taxes even more, so some politicians can get even wealthier. Corruption is real.

Last edited by Botev1912; 11-06-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area