Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 10,634 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am an attorney in Houston, TX and my wife and I have been discussing making the move to Seattle in a couple or three years with our baby son. We like that the environment seems a lot better in the area (more trees, clean air, hiking/biking, etc.), and there are more Asians in the area (wife is Asian and son is mixed).

Do you guys have any tips or advice on moving to Seattle from Houston? It sounds like the rent/buying prices are insanely high. We are thinking of living in a suburb and would want to buy a house after saving until we move. Is it doable with a dual income ~$100,000.00?

How is the commute from the 'burbs? I currently commute about 45 minutes one way, so I wouldn't mind doing the same if there is a nice, affordable, family-friendly neighborhood around the area.

The main thing is finding a job. Being a lawyer, I know the legal market can be rough, and I've heard it's pretty tight in Seattle, especially with so many law schools nearby. Any one been able to transition to the Seattle market? Ideally I'd have 3 years litigation experience by the time we head up there.

Thanks so much for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM

735 posts, read 871,340 times
Your dollar goes further the further away you go from Seattle, have you looked into the general western WA area, Olympia, Vancouver and Bellingham have plenty to offer with much more affordable housing and more reasonable commutes. As always I suggest a visit around this time of year, come and experience the short, gloomy days, look into some cheap airfare and see if you can get up here for a long weekend.

Keep posting what you are looking for and what you are willing to give up, because while the area is beautiful it does have it's downside, moving here is all about compromising.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Hi Tom. Figure on a starting price of about $500K for a home. If you are looking at a map, that would be a modest home in a place like Lynnwood, 16 miles north of Seattle, roughly the same 45 minute commute time you have now. To improve the commute and get in a closer in neighborhood in North Seattle, for example Broadview, plan on $700k. To get even closer, like Wallingford/Greenlake/Phinney Ridge, plan on a 1900 square foot bungalow starting about 900k, of course higher with more square footage. I know of a very nice 2400 SF classic home that just sold in a primo Phinney location for $1.2 mil. If this sounds shocking coming from Houston, just know that people coming here from San Fran say that it is half price what they would buy for in the Bay Area.

Don't mean to burst your bubble or suggest that you would live on the north side of town, just want you to know what you are getting into. You can get a nice home for $400k in Everett or Tacoma, which has commuter rail to Downtown Seattle.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-13-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
From what my lawyer friends tell me the legal field job market in Seattle sucks, low wages and loooong hours are the norm. YMMV and long hours are extremely common in the Seattle workplace in any industry, but if you didn’t go to a top 5 expect a tough road. Top 10-15 just isn’t good enough in Seattle in general, the job market is extremely saturated with highly qualified candidates across the board.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
People from TX move here all the time. And vice versa. Better question would be "net migration rate" to/from various states vis a vis Washington.

There are tons of Asians in the area. Since "Asians" at some point started including Indians and similar, there are even more. So to speak. People and communities seem to thrive where they want to.

Prices are not "insanely high," they are market rate same as remainder of the U.S. Same message as the other thousands who turn up in Seattle C-D spreading disinformation: Insanely high in reference to what, precisely? That is: If one can afford to rent or purchase here, must be the place for you. Otherwise, it isn't. Clearly, people are flocking here and home demand remains extreme, ergo it is "affordable." Or, live couple hours outside of the new axis of industry, downtown to downtown, Seattle to Bellevue, and commute to the core via mass transit. That's life. I did something like that eleven years, north end to Eastside before making a strategic strike on a place.

They're dynamiting old moldy trash all through my neighborhood and building ultra-modern, boxy-style homes on small lots that start at a mil-five, ergo that is what the market will bear. There are five I can think of within a three block radius, meaning probably five more I didn't notice yet. They sell every single one, I notice. That's been going on since the minute I moved my goods into my current home years ago.

The commute from the 'burbs is fine, as long as you mean Eastside to Seattle, or elsewhere via LINK. The inverse is rare. My company's offices are downtown, and I live six blocks from a bus stop that stops all down the primary downtown corridor. Lucky me. No, not really: I bought a house within striking distance of a major transit hub, Kirkland in this case. To me not doing that is too much of a compromise in working years. Outside that, if I had nowhere to go on a timetable, I'd rethink it.

Commute from some godawful place south or north end to Eastside or Seattle sucks and takes hour(s), obviously, from top five worst traffic in the U.S. reports. Right?

Being a lawyer, counselor, technology caught up to and overran your professional. I've been reading about that a couple years. Not my scene, I'd flee from it personally. Too bad, would not have seen that coming twenty five years ago when I considered (but did not) obtaining a JD.

I wouldn't move here and start a family with less than combined household income of $225K and up, personally, to maintain the "American Dream" -style lifestyle of a couple nice cars (w/payments), good size house, good schools, non-gangsta scummy neighborhood or biker *******s living nextdoors. They call that "Upper Middle Class" these days and it's the only way to live, or else always be struggling with "money problems" like my female friend who is trying to raise two boys on about $60K/year and always, ALWAYS, struggling to make it work. They don't miss many meals, but between court battles with her redneck Exs, it never ends. Someone's always turning around with a "fee" or "assessment" of a couple hundred to a grand here and there at school for kids to participate in activities, so it's a huge fool's errand in my opinion.

Suit yourself, good luck with that.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Your dollar goes further the further away you go from Seattle, have you looked into the general western WA area, Olympia, Vancouver and Bellingham have plenty to offer with much more affordable housing and more reasonable commutes. As always I suggest a visit around this time of year, come and experience the short, gloomy days, look into some cheap airfare and see if you can get up here for a long weekend.

Keep posting what you are looking for and what you are willing to give up, because while the area is beautiful it does have it's downside, moving here is all about compromising.
I like the idea of Western WA quite a bit also. I wouldn't say we are wedded to the idea of Seattle proper. If there is a decent job in a nice environment and it's affordable up there, then I think we'd consider it for sure.

How do you like Olympia, Vancouver and Bellingham? I don't know anything about them at all. We'd like to stay away from the rougher areas while we raise our son. Honestly, yeah, I like that idea. I don't want to spend so much on housing if at all possible.

We will head up there next winter to check it out in depth.

I think the most important factors are nice environment (greenery, peaceful), decent affordability, low crime, and good school district.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Tom. Figure on a starting price of about $500K for a home. If you are looking at a map, that would be a modest home in a place like Lynnwood, 16 miles north of Seattle, roughly the same 45 minute commute time you have now. To improve the commute and get in a closer in neighborhood in North Seattle, for example Broadview, plan on $700k. To get even closer, like Wallingford/Greenlake/Phinney Ridge, plan on a 1900 square foot bungalow starting about 900k, of course higher with more square footage. I know of a very nice 2400 SF classic home that just sold in a primo Phinney location for $1.2 mil. If this sounds shocking coming from Houston, just know that people coming here from San Fran say that it is half price what they would buy for in the Bay Area.

Don't mean to burst your bubble or suggest that you would live on the north side of town, just want you to know what you are getting into. You can get a nice home for $400k in Everett or Tacoma, which has commuter rail to Downtown Seattle.
Wow!!!!! That's incredible. Yeah, i think living in the city is probably not in the cards. Another poster suggested Western WA. Any opinions on that?

We are open to other cities in the area for sure. How are Everett and Tacoma? The only thing I know about Everett is that they have "Live Tweaker Cams" on YouTube LOL. Have you ever used the commuter rail? Here in Houston, public transportation is practically non-existent. Might be nice to take a commuter rail.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
The commute from the 'burbs is fine, as long as you mean Eastside to Seattle, or elsewhere via LINK. The inverse is rare. My company's offices are downtown, and I live six blocks from a bus stop that stops all down the primary downtown corridor. Lucky me. No, not really: I bought a house within striking distance of a major transit hub, Kirkland in this case. To me not doing that is too much of a compromise in working years. Outside that, if I had nowhere to go on a timetable, I'd rethink it.

Commute from some godawful place south or north end to Eastside or Seattle sucks and takes hour(s), obviously, from top five worst traffic in the U.S. reports. Right?

Being a lawyer, counselor, technology caught up to and overran your professional. I've been reading about that a couple years. Not my scene, I'd flee from it personally. Too bad, would not have seen that coming twenty five years ago when I considered (but did not) obtaining a JD.

I wouldn't move here and start a family with less than combined household income of $225K and up, personally, to maintain the "American Dream" -style lifestyle of a couple nice cars (w/payments), good size house, good schools, non-gangsta scummy neighborhood or biker *******s living nextdoors.
Are the North and South of the city pretty bad? I heard Bellevue is very expensive and is pretty nice. I like the suggestions of the other posters here who suggested Tacoma/Everett/Olympia, etc. Do you have any opinion on those places? How is the quality of life outside Seattle a little ways away?

As far as technology replacing lawyers, I sincerely doubt that. Just as a philosophical point, people are not comfortable with cold machines producing judgments as to their actions. Law is inherently a people-based field and constantly requires a human touch. That's not saying all lawyers are safe, but we are a litigious society (for better or worse) and rely on others to guide us through the legal system (also for better or worse) and technology won't be replacing that, Imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
From what my lawyer friends tell me the legal field job market in Seattle sucks, low wages and loooong hours are the norm. YMMV and long hours are extremely common in the Seattle workplace in any industry, but if you didn’t go to a top 5 expect a tough road. Top 10-15 just isn’t good enough in Seattle in general, the job market is extremely saturated with highly qualified candidates across the board.

Yeah, that's what's I've heard. Not exactly encouraging. I figure we've got a few years to prepare, so something could happen in that time. Not sure at this point though. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom0134 View Post
Are the North and South of the city pretty bad? I heard Bellevue is very expensive and is pretty nice. I like the suggestions of the other posters here who suggested Tacoma/Everett/Olympia, etc. Do you have any opinion on those places? How is the quality of life outside Seattle a little ways away?

As far as technology replacing lawyers, I sincerely doubt that. Just as a philosophical point, people are not comfortable with cold machines producing judgments as to their actions. Law is inherently a people-based field and constantly requires a human touch. That's not saying all lawyers are safe, but we are a litigious society (for better or worse) and rely on others to guide us through the legal system (also for better or worse) and technology won't be replacing that, Imo.
Quality of life outside the core axis / line I mentioned connected downtown Bellevue to say, South Lake Union is mostly highest right around it, and decreasing in a more-or-less straight heat map away. Not quite that simple, but for basic illustration it will do. Few if any places near that axis are subjectively affordable for a family.

I lived in Mill Creek, roughly 20 miles north of downtown, for eleven years and liked it. I wouldn't say "loved it" since the best thing to do for recreation is turn around and head back Downtown or Eastside, where you just came from anyway due to work. It was just extra miles. That-said, it's pretty and cozy, and if one stops to smell the roses, there is hiking and a few things to do in terms of light shopping, restaurants, and events.

I wouldn't live in Everett, because getting there and out is a train wreck on I-5. Ditto Tacoma. There are absolutely nice neighborhoods in both, I've nosed around enough to know them well enough. If one can live with commuting that far, something to consider.

Once you "are" somewhere in Puget Sound area, the trick becomes getting from there to "somewhere else" depending on time of day and routes. Sometimes, it just isn't going to happen in a timely fashion. I've always felt best to enjoy where you are, in terms of home, because you'll be spending a fair amount of time there.

I live in NorKirk. Commute hours, I'm going few places other than the general area, which happens to be nice enough so I don't really care. If that makes sense.

Olympia is its own world, many miles from greater Sea-Tac area. When I'm prepping to retire, maybe in 12 years (or not), will examine Olympia closely as...yet again...a detached place where once visits Tacoma and Seattle as a lark, not a daily thing. Consider it independently; if you can setup shop there, that's its own thing.

I've love to still get a JD, but I can't monetize the effort. A Top-20 MBA, I could and did (for management consulting, almost a requirement to have Top-10 (better) or Top-20 (acceptable) on the resume). Really, good luck: I think decimation of the legal profession is a damn shame.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 11-14-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom0134 View Post

Yeah, that's what's I've heard. Not exactly encouraging. I figure we've got a few years to prepare, so something could happen in that time. Not sure at this point though. Thanks.
That is not necessarily true. I know 3-4 associates that obtained good positions with good salaries in highly regarded law firms in Seattle. The legal field here is better than in California and the Midwest. I don't know if you are a litigator but if so, you will do quite well here. Also, try the larger labor and employment law firms. By the time you network and go on a few interviews before you actually move here, you will have a decent amount of experience under your belt and will have something to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area