U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2008, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Bothell, WA
255 posts, read 654,317 times
Reputation: 63
Well, I did all the following in my week there and loved every second:
Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Hurricane Ridge, Snoqualmie Falls, Hoh Rain Forest, Pacific Ocean beach, Ape Cave, Nintendo and MS HQ, Museum of Glass, Space Needle, Ride the Ducks, EMP, SciFi Hall of Fame, Boeing Museum, Pioneer Square, Argosy Cruise, Woodland Park Zoo, Aquarium, errr.... what didn't I do?! What can I say I fell in love with the place, and I can't wait to move there because I hate the sun, and I hate humid summers, and I'm a techie. Darn it, why am I not there already? Please don't steal all the apartments, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,874 posts, read 10,932,070 times
Reputation: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Well, I did all the following in my week there and loved every second:
Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Hurricane Ridge, Snoqualmie Falls, Hoh Rain Forest, Pacific Ocean beach, Ape Cave, Nintendo and MS HQ, Museum of Glass, Space Needle, Ride the Ducks, EMP, SciFi Hall of Fame, Boeing Museum, Pioneer Square, Argosy Cruise, Woodland Park Zoo, Aquarium, errr.... what didn't I do?! What can I say I fell in love with the place, and I can't wait to move there because I hate the sun, and I hate humid summers, and I'm a techie. Darn it, why am I not there already? Please don't steal all the apartments, thanks!
Hey Dragon! You're completely mad!! Hahahaha!! Great -- Seattle needs happy madness like yours! Bring it on!! You saw so much in that one week, I'll bet you never slept! Good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 AM
 
17 posts, read 31,005 times
Reputation: 16
Default Cannon Beach

That is funny! I thought they were haystacks, maybe they're called seastacks?! Like I said I'm a newbie. We were told by our innkeeper they are called haystacks because of their shape. Whatever they are, they're a sight to behold. Learning to pronounce some of the local names in the area has been humorous to say the least. My kids still had some of their southern drawl when we relocated. Mount Rainier came out Mownt RAINERD with the "rain" part emphasised.

I also forgot to mention the train rides in downtown Snoqualmie at the Northwest Railway Museum. They have a special "Day Out with Thomas", from Thomas Train on PBS. Really cute; Sir Topum Hat is there and they put a huge Thomas face on the front of the train. It is the weekends July 11-13 and July 18-20. They are selling now and go quick. You could hit the Falls that day and drop your wife at the Salish for a hot rock spa treatment. Have lunch in the Attic. Amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,874 posts, read 10,932,070 times
Reputation: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps1121 View Post
I thought they were haystacks, maybe they're called seastacks ... We were told by our innkeeper they are called haystacks because of their shape.
Hi kaps! Your inkeeper was likely talking about the seastack called "Haystack Rock". Wonderfully confusing, eh?!!
Those little tall islands off the coasts of Oregon and Washington are called "seastacks". The Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce website says "Haystack Rock ... is one of the largest 'sea stacks' on America's Pacific coast, and is the third largest monolith in the world." Wow! I didn't know that.
City of Cannon Beach
You'll find beautiful seastacks right at the shore at La Push when you visit the Olympic Peninsula.

Quote:
... the train rides in downtown Snoqualmie at the Northwest Railway Museum. They have a special "Day Out with Thomas", from Thomas Train on PBS ...
What a great idea!! Families, wahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
 
30 posts, read 62,836 times
Reputation: 15
If you make the drive down to the Oregon Coast (which I highly recommend because it is one of my favorite places in the world), make sure to go to Ecola Fish Market in Cannon Beach. It's directly across from the city park and chamber of commerce and has the absolute best fish and chips EVER. Seriously. Salmon, halibut, or cod. Delicious.

But give yourself time to see a few of the beaches--hit Seaside, Cannon Beach, Acadia, and then Manzanita. (They're all within an hour of each other, and all beautiful in different ways).

I wish I'd gone last week when the Oregon Coast hit 100 degrees! I can't imagine. I've never been there when it's been above 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,312,825 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps1121 View Post
That is funny! I thought they were haystacks, maybe they're called seastacks?! Like I said I'm a newbie. We were told by our innkeeper they are called haystacks because of their shape. Whatever they are, they're a sight to behold. Learning to pronounce some of the local names in the area has been humorous to say the least. My kids still had some of their southern drawl when we relocated. Mount Rainier came out Mownt RAINERD with the "rain" part emphasised.

I also forgot to mention the train rides in downtown Snoqualmie at the Northwest Railway Museum. They have a special "Day Out with Thomas", from Thomas Train on PBS. Really cute; Sir Topum Hat is there and they put a huge Thomas face on the front of the train. It is the weekends July 11-13 and July 18-20. They are selling now and go quick. You could hit the Falls that day and drop your wife at the Salish for a hot rock spa treatment. Have lunch in the Attic. Amazing!
My two year old is OBSESSED with all things Thomas, so I will definitely be buying tickets for that. I didn't know sir Topham Hatt is there also, he will flip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Austin 'burbs
3,226 posts, read 9,506,788 times
Reputation: 689
Just a tip - they sell out for the Thomas train ride months in advance, so watch the Day out with Thomas website, and buy early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Virginia
9,825 posts, read 7,493,212 times
Reputation: 5778
This is a great thread with lots of good info.. (sticky..sticky..sticky.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top