U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,461,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenebe View Post
"Free British style medical care": Yep, that is what I am talking about, and better by the sounds of it, when I talk to my friends in the UK. I have heard that health care insurance is essential in the US.
"Better" depends on what the measuring standards are. British style is probably friendlier and more personalized, and you can wait a long time for treatment. American style is very technology-heavy, and you can get instant treatment. For what it's worth, it's a fact that American medicine has the most advanced technical facilities and equipment. Sometimes dizzingly so...

If one has no medical insurance in the U.S., one will be accepted and treated in certain hospitals in every city and most towns. But having insurance -- which MS will provide for you -- makes it certain that treatment will be available anywhere, anytime, for just about any condition imaginable.

Last edited by allforcats; 03-22-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM

8,291 posts, read 14,629,203 times
1. I've grown potatoes in the Seattle area, but I'm just not much of a potato fan.
2. Area just south of Issaquah, close to Renton, and rural: maybe Newcastle?
3. City of Seattle allows three chickens per household, and Seattle Tilth teaches chicken in the city classes.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM

SEATTLE ALLOWS CHICKENS??????????? Who knew????? Well, someone who's a student of Seattle Tilth, that's who!!! Imagine the glee of neighbors in Ballard or Capitol Hill!

2. Great minds think along the same lines!!! :-)

Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Eastside was previously farmland I believe, and some of the farm practices in the olden days lead to long term soil contamination. As I plan to grow vegetables to feed my child, that is an important issue.
This is a point I'd like to revisit. All of the east side used to be wild forests. Some fairly small percentage was cut down and turned into small family farms. Then more was cut down and turned into housing developments.

So there is, actually, only a small percentage of land on the east side that might contain, for example, DDT residue and chemical fertilizer residue, and so forth, and those areas, which used to be rural, are now urban and suburban, covered with office buildings, shopping malls, stores, apartment buildings, and homes placed close together.

In the several places I've mentioned -- from Woodinville in the north to Issaquah to the south -- the only previous inhabitants, before the houses were built, were likely mountain lions, bears, deer, marmots, squirrels, foxes, elk, and a zillion types of birds, as well as the forest sprites and flower faeries. Although the cougars (mountain lions) and the other big fellows have been pushed away, the nature devas still largely remain, a fact to which I can personally attest, meaning the area is clean.

There is little or nothing to be concerned about regarding the earth, and Seattle Tilth will teach you how to inspect, evaluate and nourish your land.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 168,656 times
Hey, I'm glad to meet a fellow gardener! And someone interested in cobbing! I may be digging your brains for info about this as much as real estate.

The Seattle Tilth website really fired my enthusiasm. What is so wonderful is there is a very strong emphasis on involving children! And I love it that they encourage growing heirloom varieties, it's a really sensible way to ensure what you grow is well suited to the local climate.

My main gardening interests are native plants and vegetable gardening, but I have a weakness for spring bulbs as well - and one big draw card for me is that Washington State just might be cold enough to perennialise tulips. I have to chill mine in a fridge for months where I am currently.

Straw bales seem faster, but you need to be water tight. I think for an amatuer, cob house is a safer option. Check out this cool hobbit house though, they used straw bales: A Low Impact Woodland Home

There are lots of gorgeous cob houses on Mayne Island, B.C. and workshops there too. cobworks.com : Your guide to building cob and earthhouses (http://www.cobworks.com/workshops.htm - broken link) Also in Oregon, News for 2008 | Cob Cottage Company
And I'm reading The Hand-Sculpted House and The Cob Builder's Handbook, both are very good.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM

69 posts, read 168,656 times
Ooh, you post fast allforcats! I hadn't even read your post before I posted mine. Mind, I did go and feed the family in the middle of my post (and have infact just gone to change a nappy just now).

Wow, the wild life sounds absolutely stupendous. Looking forward to meeting the locals.

Re the chickens: you learn something new every day!

Um, don't get me wrong, I don't need acres of space - I'm a home gardener, not a market gardener, and wouldn't have the time to tend to extensive gardens. And definitely no chickens or animals for me. I don't think it is fair to make my MSer commute for hours just so I can have a farm.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:02 PM

There is some truly contaminated land in south King and Pierce Counties, including Vashon Island, as a result of the copper smelter in the Tacoma area, which shut down around 25 years ago...On Vashon, which still has a hippie/agricultural bent, they did a lot of soil removal and bringing in new soil.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
... I have a weakness for spring bulbs as well - and one big draw card for me is that Washington State just might be cold enough to perennialise tulips.
Oh you are going to love it here!!!

The crocus blooms in January.

The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival is world-famous.
The 25th Annual Skagit Valley Tulip Festival

The Daffodil Festival is world-famous.
THE DAFFODIL FESTIVAL

Yummmmmmmmm.......... (The third pic is daffys.)
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for green, Eastside-tulip-fest.jpg   Looking for green, Eastside-tulip-fest1.jpg   Looking for green, Eastside-daffy-fest.jpg   Looking for green, Eastside-tulip-fest2.jpg  

Last edited by allforcats; 03-22-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 05:29 PM

...And Walla Walla Sweets, arguably the best onion in the world, grows just fine in Seattle. ( Speaking of bulbs.)

Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM

"arguably"? -- absolutely!!! :-) Oh I yearn for them now.....
"an onion so sweet you can eat it like an apple".
Wally Wally Sweetums with salmon and lime juice and cilantro. ....... .
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for green, Eastside-wally-wally-sweetums.jpg  

Last edited by allforcats; 03-22-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area