Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times

Advertisements

I read an article that the Alderwood mall is getting a dave and busters and cheesecake factory where the old sears was.

Last night i took the bus from my apartment in Northgate Seattle to Claim Jumper in Alderwood mall for dinner. Unfortunately i prefer the Alderwood mall anyday over the Northgate Mall. The jcpenny at alderwood mall has twice the selection of mens clothing comapred to Northgate jcpenny. The macys at alderwood mall has 4 times the selection of mens clothing as macys northgate mall. Alderwood mall also has a better food court than northgate mall does.

Alderwood mall also has stores like jcrew, bannana republic, williams sonoma, pottery barn and rei. Northgate lacks those stores.

Lynnwood also has a big whole foods market. There are two fred meyers in Lynnwood that are very well stocked.

I prefer the target accross the street from the alderwood mall opposed to the northgate target because the alderwood target always has stuff instock while northgate is the opposite.

Lynnwood is also getting a Sprouts farmers market.

Why does Lynnwood have better chain restuarants, a better mall and better grocery stores than northgate seattle??

Just for kicks i looked at apartments in Lynnwood compared to Northgate and it seems that in Lynnwood you get more for your money than you do in northgate.

Condo prices in Lynnwood verses northgate it seems that Lynnwood you get more for your money than northgate.

One thing is why doesnt Pcc,whole foods or sprouts put a store in northgate??

When i took the bus both ways between my northgate apartment and Lynnwood it took me 1 hour and 30 minutes each way.

If i had a car and there isnt traffic Lynnwood is only 12 minutes further north than northgate on the 5 freeway.

I often like going to the movies at the alderwood mall and then going to dinner at claim jumper or anthonys seafood.

In Lynnwood i like both the 196th street fred meyer and the 164th st fred meyer.

My friend who i know who grew up in seattle his entire life thinks Lynnwood is gods country and a Hicksville. He thinks im nuts that i go to Lynnwood for certain things snd my fiend also thinks im nuts to consider living in Lynnwood.

My friend said he would rather pay double rent in northgate seattle than ever consider living in Lynnwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Northgate is Seattle, everything, especially land and rent are much more expensive, so even retailers are going there to save on costs and maximize profits. Lynnwood is close enough to jobs (Boeing Everett, Seattle) to be a fairly decent commute, and cheaper so many choose to live there. The traditional Lynnwood reputation is gradually disappearing as it grows, and it will eventually become much less affordable as more people are priced out of Seattle and the Eastside.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
He thinks Lynnwood is Hicksville? I have never heard Lynnwood being called Hicksville, ever. Concrete, WA, is Hicksville.

I grew up in Edmonds and went to Meadowdale High School. Lynnwood is chock full of stores, I've always known it to be. Very busy traffic-wise. I would prefer living in Lynnwood or Edmonds so much more than Northgate. What you have to understand is that I always keep a running economy car going at all times. It makes life so much more convenient. I like to have a car that I am in love with owning. I drive a 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. I really like the car but want a lighter car that gets better ghastly mileage. That car I want is a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA 6-speed stick. Might trade for the Toyota soon.

But a car allows you the latitude and longitude to find what works best for you and just drive to it. I would go nutso depending on Transit systems. Edmonds is a cool northend city but kind of pricey. I grew up in Edmonds as a kid in my parents home. I got on at Boeing in Everett and got married shortly after starting at Boeing. We lived in Everett. It's cheaper than Edmonds-Lynnwood but it's an older city and more of a city type of city. It has a lot of history, Everett does, and it began with Rockefeller money. It was built to grow - if it outgrew Seattle it's city father's would be nothing but proud. Where I'm going with this is having your own car gives you the independence to live where you want to live.

You can cruise from Lynnwood to Seattle in 20-25 minutes on your morning commute, if there's no accidents on I-5. Now that is cool. Shopping is just 10 minutes by car. So you probably will say you can't afford a car. Man, ever since I was 13 years old I have had it stamped in my brain "get a car" - "save for a car" - "sign on a loan for a car." But it's all about the love of the automobile. My love for cars goes way back. My parents told me when I was about 13 or 14 that you'll have your independence if you drive. It's remained true, but you always have that expense. And signing a 60-month car note means that same payment has to be made every month online. So don't buy a rig that you can't afford. The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA 6-speed sedan I'm in love with in Toyota's Pulse (red) paint job is selling for only $14,496. I am basically obsessed with getting this car. My wife doesn't get it, but, you see, she doesn't drive. She grew up in Chicago and took the bus and El trains everywhere. Someone who isn't in the car culture won't want to spend the money on a car and also will not understand. Once you "catch" the "car bug" you'll understand. Oh you'll understand! I absolutely love to drive! The other day I drove my wife and I and our Chow Chow and Pomeranian from Manson(Lake Chelan) in eastern Washington (where we live) to my sister's house in Bothell.

Cool trip! Then I drove us downtown to Dick's Drive-In at the foot of Queen Anne Hill. More homeless people than you can shake a stick at. The Dick's fries were choice but the Deluxe burger was not. I gave it a 72 out of 100. But we listened to tunes off of my flashdrive. One can customize your car stereo set now in more ways than ever before. The Toyota Yaris iA has a stereo that you can upload music from your smartphone onto. It also has all sorts of music channels on it already pre-loaded for you. That car is a music lover's dream, I look forward to having it at my disposal. But cars aren't cheap. To play you have to pay. I would encourage you to buy a car - you'll love the ability a car gives you to roam. It opens up opportunities for you.

As for now, I would move north away from the big city to a nearby suburb like Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood or Edmonds. And I'd go into immediate planning mode towards getting a wonderful automobile that you love. Once you're in the automotive world you'll not want to leave it.

Last edited by elkotronics; 12-07-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Even though Lynnwood is farther out than northgate i prefer Lynnwood over northgate.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
There might be places you'd like to go to in Lynnwood. The question is how easy/difficult it would be to get from Lynnwood to other places you'd like to go to.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Quote:
He thinks Lynnwood is Hicksville? I have never heard Lynnwood being called Hicksville, ever. Concrete, WA, is Hicksville.
There is always someone. A few years ago we moved from Capitol Hill to a high rise in Downtown Seattle. Met someone in the elevator while I had arms full of stuff, the conversation went like this...

"Oh, you moving in?"

Me: yep

"Where are you moving from?'

Me: oh, just moving down the road a bit, we were living in Capitol Hill

"Ahhh, decided to move into The City"

^-- the above was said in such a tone of voice as to indicate that we were living in uncultured, backwater, rural America prior to seeing the light and moving 12 blocks to real civilization.

Lynnwood definitely has a lot going for it OP. I can certainly see why it would be more attractive than Northgate since it really does have a lot of amenities - a big drawback being that it's not so easy to live there if one depends on public transit. Maybe someday, but we're just not there yet.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Yeah, Alderwood is definitely due for a facelift, it seem like the economic muscle closeby warrants it.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
There is always someone. A few years ago we moved from Capitol Hill to a high rise in Downtown Seattle. Met someone in the elevator while I had arms full of stuff, the conversation went like this...

"Oh, you moving in?"

Me: yep

"Where are you moving from?'

Me: oh, just moving down the road a bit, we were living in Capitol Hill

"Ahhh, decided to move into The City"

^-- the above was said in such a tone of voice as to indicate that we were living in uncultured, backwater, rural America prior to seeing the light and moving 12 blocks to real civilization.

Lynnwood definitely has a lot going for it OP. I can certainly see why it would be more attractive than Northgate since it really does have a lot of amenities - a big drawback being that it's not so easy to live there if one depends on public transit. Maybe someday, but we're just not there yet.
Becuase i dont own a car and rely on public transportation living in Lynnwood would be difficult for me.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
One option might be near Aurora Village Transit Center, which would give you transit links to Seattle (E-Line), Northgate (MT 346), Lynnwood (CT 130), and Alderwood Mall (transfer at Lynnwood TC).

Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Check out the post above, annonymous1981. Aurora Village has the bus linkage you need. The rentals available, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area