Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

Disagree Jonas, I live right in Seattle. I just get up early (6am) on weekends and can be to great trailheads in less than an hour that don't have a lot of people on them. Lots of people say they like to get outdoors but really don't. Because of what I do for work, weekends are usually busy but I can break away for mid week morning skiing and hiking. That's really nice. There's plenty of nature out there if you plan well and know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM

249 posts, read 458,405 times
I came for work myself from the Carolinas. I have been here 4 years and it is very tough on me. There are pros and cons wherever you go. Here is my opinion which doesn't mean much haha:

Pros: Can make good money here
Beautiful Scenery
Fantastic climate in the summer
Lots of friendly people here in the burbs where I live, I do not know about the people in the city

Cons: Traffic is just miserable all the way from Everett to Olympia and getting worse
Politically I am pretty neutral but the liberalism here is at a level I have never seen
the drug and homeless problem

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Too many people with money competing for a limited number of houses. Tacoma is a pretty good choice if you can swing the commute.

As Seacove notes, nice you found out you don't like Seattle Before buying....you can leave now.
Get the right job with the right hours Sounder and Sound Transit will make that commute a breeze, it's actually quite nice.

I live in Auburn. I lived in Tacoma a long time ago and I liked the pace there. Seattle is becoming like So Cal because so many refugees from LA and San Fran are moving in.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
I came for work myself from the Carolinas. I have been here 4 years and it is very tough on me. There are pros and cons wherever you go. Here is my opinion which doesn't mean much haha:

Pros: Can make good money here
Beautiful Scenery
Fantastic climate in the summer
Lots of friendly people here in the burbs where I live, I do not know about the people in the city

Cons: Traffic is just miserable all the way from Everett to Olympia and getting worse
Politically I am pretty neutral but the liberalism here is at a level I have never seen
the drug and homeless problem
I've been here 21 years (although I came for adventure, not work) and I feel exactly the same about the pros and cons. The sanctimonious politics are a bit much but I can handle that. The drug/homeless and traffic are really starting to be a burden here.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:57 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Scrat, good point. Everett works in that way too with the Sounder.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I've been here 21 years (although I came for adventure, not work) and I feel exactly the same about the pros and cons. The sanctimonious politics are a bit much but I can handle that. The drug/homeless and traffic are really starting to be a burden here.
Yeah the extremely self-righteous liberalism and close mindedness in Seattle/Seattleites is really becoming an issue, and now a great majority of the state has to deal with it even on the other side of the mountains.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yeah the extremely self-righteous liberalism and close mindedness in Seattle/Seattleites is really becoming an issue, and now a great majority of the state has to deal with it even on the other side of the mountains.
I still don't understand how/when/where politics comes up in conversation, that this would be such an issue for people. I don't recall ever hearing or being involved in a political discussion with anyone, ever, in 20+ years of living in Seattle. Not even when I was a UW student.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I really sympathize with flyingsaucermom's post in that my family came from a religious history (non-denominational Church of Christ, stricter Baptist). While it can keep a child on the straight and narrow, growing up with the "do something wrong and go to hell" mentality can take the joy out of childhood. I want our kids to be more joyful and the (false) piety of the south would not do .

Decades ago we took a trip to Seattle after being disappointed with Portland. We were looking for intense green, misty air, water and mountains and Portland felt like a river town. When we visit Portland now, I see its charm but it doesn't fill me with the passion I felt for Seattle. Everyone is different and I've known people that came up from Portland and returned because Portland just felt like home to them. That is a good thing, we can't all fit in the same place and sometimes it can just be annoying seeing all the out of state license plates in the metro. By all means, let's share the growth with Tacoma, Portland, Bellingham, Olympia, etc.

As for the politics, there are plenty of other places in this country for conservative people. Seattle is far from the only place with jobs and people that don't like our liberal politics should move to a place more suited to them. For those on the other side of the mountains, they can easily cross the Idaho border and live in a red state. Eastern Washington also benefits from our tax revenue. The very environment that nurtures jobs, also tends to be more liberal, just like the Bay Area. If such places do not feel right, choose another and give Seattle a break. We can only handle so many people and they may as well be people that truly love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Seriously though... It's home. It's mine. I don't really care whether it pleases someone from Chicago, New York, Miami, LA, Portland or New Orleans.

One thing that people don't get is that nobody from Seattle is bragging. Like when is the last time you heard someone from Seattle, originally from here, say "Well, you should come to Seattle. It's amazing."
Quoted for truth. Seattle can fill people with a devotion that is difficult to explain. They are not trying to promote it. Life is short; people that don't like it should move to a place that makes them truly happy.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still don't understand how/when/where politics comes up in conversation, that this would be such an issue for people. I don't recall ever hearing or being involved in a political discussion with anyone, ever, in 20+ years of living in Seattle. Not even when I was a UW student.
You haven't met my father in law. But he is in his 70s. Most people I know, even the political activists, avoid it in normal conversation.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:47 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Disagree Jonas, I live right in Seattle. I just get up early (6am) on weekends and can be to great trailheads in less than an hour that don't have a lot of people on them. Lots of people say they like to get outdoors but really don't. Because of what I do for work, weekends are usually busy but I can break away for mid week morning skiing and hiking. That's really nice. There's plenty of nature out there if you plan well and know where to look.
If you get there early enough it's not as bad yes, but peak times I've never seen trails as crowded as those. Parking can be impossible. The cars lining roads to trails is something else, super dangerous. We generally find trails that are harder/longer so fewer people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area