Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
How smart do parents need to be to think of tapwater. It's pretty good in Seattle. We're talking IQs over 70 right?
I think you misquoted Thatguy(because including him, nobody can seem to figure out how to quote). I do agree though. I just don't get it. I'm in Hawaii for work( I know it's off topic...) and it makes me sick seeing all the kids with mountain dew/soda/energy drinks waiting for the bus in the morning. But hey, "not my kid" right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
How smart do parents need to be to think of tapwater. It's pretty good in Seattle. We're talking IQs over 70 right?
You can lead a child to the tap, but you can't make him drink from it. In most cases, parents are feeding their children sugary sodas, not to satisfy their thirst, but to keep them quiet. At least, the higher price gives parents a reason to say "no".

When I grew up in the 1950s, we were lucky if we got a Coke or a Nesbit's Orange Soda once a week, if that. What did I drink on a normal basis? Milk, chocolate milk, orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, and water.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:48 AM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
Keep taxing those children. Nobody is exempt.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Yeah I didn’t actually write this, something got messed up with the quoting function

Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Well, I'm asking what your solution is?

If the tax removes the economic incentive for parents to feed their children sugary sodas instead of milk, I'm fine with that. The only question, for me, is whether it overshoots the mark. We could also subsidize the price of milk so it would be cheaper than sugary soda, but that would require taxing something else to pay for it.
Well my solution is more fundamental, if bad parenting is the root cause, stop rewarding poor choices with an open tap of government money when they continue to pop out kids they shouldn’t be having in the first place

Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Well my solution is more fundamental, if bad parenting is the root cause, stop rewarding poor choices with an open tap of government money when they continue to pop out kids they shouldn’t be having in the first place
In other words, punish the kids for the "sins" of their parents, while de-funding Planned Parenthood.

How does that do a single thing to address the obesity/Diabetes 2 epidemic among children and adolescents? If it was a Smallpox epidemic, would you still be preaching "do nothing"?

Old 01-27-2018, 01:37 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Well, you would think wrong. The primary focus of this tax is more revenue for the city. Trying to tax behavior is both largely ineffective and odious of government. And claiming it's for health purposes is as specious as every time "but it's for the children! Won't you think of the children!" gets trotted out to pass some ludicrousness.

I find it more than a little ironic that self-proclaimed progressives that decry class warfare participate in it so willingly by forcing lower class households into behavior the progressives deem "acceptable" while allowing the wealthy to simply chalk up their efforts as a nuisance, and by implementing regressive tax structures that harm the very people they claim to be champions for if the lower income household doesn't conform to the Government-Approved-Behavior. See below for a great example.
The Soda tax is a form of a sin tax. If you disagree with sin taxes then I suppose we should stop taxing Alcohol, Tabaco, and Marijuana. And yes sugar is a very dangerous and addictive substance that wrecks havoc on our bodies when taken in large quantities. And sure people should have the freedom to stuff their bodies with whatever they want, but there are limitations, otherwise we should legalize cocaine and heroin. By decreasing the intake of soda people will become healthier and reduce the burden on our health services. Drinking large quantities of Soda on a daily basis should not be a norm, just like drinking large quantities of alcohol on a daily basis is not considered normal, or eating large quantities of candy on a daily basis.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM

Pizza shop owner says Seattle's soda tax is costing him business | KIRO-TV

Quote:
Jagajit Singh, who owns A Pizza Mart in Southwest Seattle, said the soda tax has customers walking out, leaving the soda on the counter and, sometimes, the pizza too.

Singh and a coalition of business owners and the Teamsters Union spoke out against the tax Friday afternoon.

They said the city needs to repeal the tax before it is too late for business owners to recover their losses. Several business owners said their businesses are on the city border and customers are going across the street to get their soda outside city limits.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
In other words, punish the kids for the "sins" of their parents, while de-funding Planned Parenthood.

How does that do a single thing to address the obesity/Diabetes 2 epidemic among children and adolescents? If it was a Smallpox epidemic, would you still be preaching "do nothing"?
exactly... since why would anyone assume that all the fat kids with rotten teeth and diabetes, have parents who ARE POOR PEOPLE ON WELFARE? that makes NO sense.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
oh poor guy, has been skimming money off of people's bad harmful habits, now is mad he doesn't get to exploit this to get their money any more. boo hoo! THEN OFFER HEALTHIER FOODS and you will get a different clientele.
That stuff makes people sikh (sic)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area