Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 04:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renli3d View Post
Speaking to everyone, I don't think one should spend an inordinate amount of time making sure one's argument is 100% fleshed out and grammatically correct before posting a simple opinion piece in an informal forum lest it be an obstacle to getting one's thoughts out.
Of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, no matter how poorly thought out or articulated. However, don’t expect every opinion to be received with equal consideration. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but not every opinion is equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
After travelling to other cities I was amazed at how many women were prevalent all over the place. In Seattle there is large swaths of men everywhere. Men, men, and more men. You don't even realize how saturated the city is with men and deficient it is with women until you go and travel to other cities. I was shocked to see the lack of large cliques of bros walking in large groups everywhere.

On the flip side, Seattle is not a very friendly city to a female who wants to advance her career in anything but IT. Everyone knows the IT field is pretty daunting for women.
The horror, there is one man for every woman in Seattle. Oh cruel fate: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I’m not sure what you are trying to say about women and career advancement. Are you suggesting Seattle puts up more barriers to professional advancement for women than other cities, except in the field of IT? It’s a baffling statement because I’m not sure how you manage to make such a broad claim without firsthand experience in all professional fields. Since there are so many working women in Seattle, and only a small portion make up the professional class in IT, there must be a large population of overqualified and underpaid women trapped in professional purgatory in other fields like law, finance, medicine, engineering, etc. If that is the case, we must do A LOT more to rectify the systemic bias and professional barriers women face in Seattle. I suggest we start with those who assert overly broad, factually unsupported claims about women in Seattle.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 04:25 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The horror, there is one man for every woman in Seattle. Oh cruel fate: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
You are absolutely wrong here.. COmparing the total population of males vs females always gives invalid results. Considering that the older generation of Seattlites were blue collar and married young, you will have a lower life expectancy for males compared to females. Seattle has a high number of elderly females which skew the gender ratio. However, if you look at Seattle in the 20-40 year old range, you will see that it has one of the highest gender imbalances of any city in the country. The facts speak for themselves.. Seattle is one of the worst cities for females in professional careers and it is these type of opportunities that make people migrate to an area from far away. Of course, many people move to Seattle just because it is Seattle, but with its high cost of living and stressful environment, lack of career options will hinder these numbers.

This article should help educate you on the reality of the gender imbalance rather than just pulling some raw numbers from some statistic website:
Washington poised to become one of 10 states where men outnumber women
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...tnumber-women/

Gender Disparity in Seattle's IT Industry
https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/...le-august-2014

Quote:
I’m not sure what you are trying to say about women and career advancement. Are you suggesting Seattle puts up more barriers to professional advancement for women than other cities, except in the field of IT?
Yup.. It's a city of males and men have an overwhelming influence in almost every industry in Seattle. Hey, I am no feminist, but I know that any place where there is significant gender imbalances will wreck havoc on the social infrastructure of the city and people who all still desire inter-gender mingling and conjugal bonding.

Quote:
It’s a baffling statement because I’m not sure how you manage to make such a broad claim without firsthand experience in all professional fields. Since there are so many working women in Seattle, and only a small portion make up the professional class in IT, there must be a large population of overqualified and underpaid women trapped in professional purgatory in other fields like law, finance, medicine, engineering, etc. If that is the case, we must do A LOT more to rectify the systemic bias and professional barriers women face in Seattle. I suggest we start with those who assert overly broad, factually unsupported claims about women in Seattle.
This article may be interesting to read:
Study: Seattle's gender pay gap worst in the U.S. | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:51 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong here..
This article should help educate you on the reality of the gender imbalance rather than just pulling some raw numbers from some statistic website:
Washington poised to become one of 10 states where men outnumber women
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...tnumber-women/

Gender Disparity in Seattle's IT Industry
https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/...le-august-2014

Yup.. It's a city of males and men have an overwhelming influence in almost every industry in Seattle.

This article may be interesting to read:
Study: Seattle's gender pay gap worst in the U.S. | FYI Guy | Seattle Times
Leaving the WA state vs Seattle distinction aside, I will take your statistic at face value. I suppose I would be absolutely wrong if 830k:890k were closer to 1:2 than 1:1. Ok, since I’m giving you the benefit of rounding, I’ll even give you the benefit of ratio...if 830k:890k were closer to 1:1.5 than 1:1. See how generous I am? And this is in the 18-34 age group. I’m giving you every advantage to make your best case that it’s “men, men, men.” I assume you have the capacity to do your own arithmetic, so I will not belabor the obvious point.

Seattle certainly can do better with gender pay gaps, particularly for women with graduate and professional degrees, like the rest of the country. The article you cited is not the up-to-date. We are not last. I’m sure you can find a more recent study since you were able to dig up the 2013 article.

Nevertheless, inequality in pay is a reality for Seattle AND the rest of the country. Seattle is by no means the worst, but it should be one of the best. Don’t forget, however, that career advancement also includes other important metrics like representation in positions of power and leadership. Those other metrics of gender equity are not well-captured in adjusted or unadjusted gender pay gaps. I am ALL for making Seattle one of the top, if not the top, city for gender equity in the work place.

As I said before, we need to break down the systemic bias women face in the workplace. We need to start with people who make overly broad, factually unsupported claims about women in Seattle.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:38 AM

415 posts, read 490,607 times
Quote:

We need to start with people who make overly broad, factually unsupported claims about women in Seattle.
Factually unsupported claims?
Have you tried looking in the mirror?

You're making assertions based on your own assumptions, that naturally there ought to be 1 man for 1 woman in the area. Then Rotse brings data that shows it ain't so and you "generously" concede. But it's obvious from your condescending tone that you don't really believe him but have merely forfeited your argument because you can't be bothered to actually back it up.

Here's some more data from another source.
USA: smart map for lovely single people. Discover local places where sex ratios are awesome!

75 single women for 100 single men between ages of 25 - 34.

Of major cities nationwide, only San Jose & Salt Lake City offer "more challenging" demographic situations for single men, while San Diego (aka Man Diego) is about on par.

If we consider the surrounding vicinity of Seattle, where an even heavier imbalance exists because of all the tech workers in aerospace & IT as well as the military bases outside of Tacoma and Bremerton, the numbers for Seattle would certainly look even more imbalanced.

Quote:

As I said before, we need to break down the systemic bias women face in the workplace.

Puh-leze.

Seattle is a horrible place for women to work, where they suffer all kinds of discrimination?

There's really no point in arguing this. This is a "faith-based" perspective. People get accused of misogyny, fired and shunned if they DO try to present real evidence about this. I don't really think it's going to change anybody's mind here. Believe what you want to believe.

All the ladies who love to belittle the guys whinging about the terrible demographic imbalance and the dire challenge for single men in Seattle are at least right about one thing. Yeah it sucks, but I agree with them when they say "Tough, suck it up buttercup and take responsibility." Life ain't fair and Seattle may not present the opportunities guys have gotten accustomed to in other locations. But if you're going to live in this place, you have the choice to own the situation and make the best of it, wallow in self-pity and complain about it insufferably or resign yourself to solitude and try to find fulfillment & satisfaction in other spheres of life (my own current approach).

Please don't take the cranky tone too personally. I just couldn't resist responding to somebody making a baseless accusation that guys like Rotse are lying or crazy or otherwise making outrageous unsupported claims that the numbers are not balanced in this area.

The response should be: Yes the numbers are pretty awful, but quit whining. Deal with it. Or leave.

None of this should imply that women in Seattle DON'T have their own problems or challenges. Life doesn't always deliver what we expect and wish. For everybody it includes a lot of suffering and disappointment too. We certainly welcome Seattle's single women to air their own grievances about how the men of Seattle disappoint, fall short or otherwise drive them crazy. This could all be so much more fun if it wasn't only the sorry sad & lonely dudes spilling their guts.

This lady did so to moderately entertaining (and insightful) results.

https://www.damemagazine.com/2014/05...g-my-sex-life/

Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
I don't think San Diego is bad at all for dating. Right down the street is Tijuana and massive eye candy if you like Latinas who I think make the best wives. Look at the divorce rate of Mexicans vs white women it is appalling different. Asian women nowadays have a bad rep for chasing white guys, even us Asian guys don't really trust most of them.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post

You're making assertions based on your own assumptions, that naturally there ought to be 1 man for 1 woman in the area. Then Rotse brings data that shows it ain't so and you "generously" concede. But it's obvious from your condescending tone that you don't really believe him but have merely forfeited your argument because you can't be bothered to actually back it up.

Here's some more data from another source.
USA: smart map for lovely single people. Discover local places where sex ratios are awesome!

75 single women for 100 single men between ages of 25 - 34.

Of major cities nationwide, only San Jose & Salt Lake City offer "more challenging" demographic situations for single men, while San Diego (aka Man Diego) is about on par.

If we consider the surrounding vicinity of Seattle, where an even heavier imbalance exists because of all the tech workers in aerospace & IT as well as the military bases outside of Tacoma and Bremerton, the numbers for Seattle would certainly look even more imbalanced.
But Treu, if the numbers are so badly skewed, and according to you, because of Boeing and military bases, they always have been to some extent, why do so many Seattle women get ignored? Why are they invisible? Why do Seattle men go to singles events, then avoid talking to the women? This is true in San Jose, too. It's hard to be sympathetic, if the men aren't trying.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post

Since you obviously missed the point, and possibly didn’t even read the ST article Rotse cited, I will summarize for you.

Rotse: You don’t realize how saturated the city is with men and deficient in woman...

Me: How terrible, there’s a man for every woman. References census data showing near 1:1 ratio of women:men

Rotse: This is where you are “absolutely wrong”. Comparing total population ratio is misleading. You need to look at the correct age group. Cites Gene Balk’s article showing US Census Data for WA state broken down by age group. In the 18-34 age group, where the gender imbalance is most favorable to Rotse’s argument, there are slightly more than 830,000 women and slightly less than 890,000 men.

Me: 830,000 women-to-890,000 men is much closer to 1-to-1 than it is to 1-to-2. I guess I am absolutely wrong if 830,000:890,000 were closer to 1:2 than 1:1.

The only assumption I made is that Rotse (and now you) can do the arithmetic to determine whether the ratio of women-to-men is closer to 1-to-1 or 1-to-2. It is entirely possible that I’m the only one who looked at the data, given your obtuse comment regarding this. Have a lovely weekend.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:21 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
toxic tech bro culture of SF + mammon worshipping culture of Wall Street + fabricated façade of Las Vegas + unique righteousness and pretentiousness = Seattle

Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM

365 posts, read 258,162 times
The recent mess in Seattle where less than one dozen protesters caused massive traffic jams and messed with the lives of 10's of thousands of people is another reason to think of Seattle as broken. Apparently, given the current political environment, the Seattle leaders think that offending a few people breaking the law is worse than offending 20 or 30 thousand people just going on with their daily lives.

Seattle leadership has gone bananas!

Old 03-04-2018, 11:19 PM

135 posts, read 164,506 times
Quote:
Seattle doesn't have a good dating scene a city it's size. At least this can be said for men. For women, it probably could be paradise, although you generally have to chose between dating IT guys (who can be weird) and military men. It is pretty abysmal for many men. And, many of the men in the city work long hours, have stressful lives and going out to try to court and date women sometimes is such a feat that it is not worth the time.

After travelling to other cities I was amazed at how many women were prevalent all over the place. In Seattle there is large swaths of men everywhere. Men, men, and more men. You don't even realize how saturated the city is with men and deficient it is with women until you go and travel to other cities. I was shocked to see the lack of large cliques of bros walking in large groups everywhere. Of course, after living in a place like Boise, even Seattle would seem like heaven. One problem with both Washington (outside of Seattle) and Idaho though is how people are introverted and tend to marry young. The lack of females coupled with tendency of local girls to marry out of high school results in a drained dating pool.

Where I live, in outer suburbia/small town Washington, most girls are married to military guys or moved here with husbands, etc.

I don't know if it has to do with Amazon expansion and the larger number of IT and military people moving to this area, but there just seems to be less and less women in the city than when I moved here 5-6 years ago. Every year it seems to be more and hordes of men coming here for opportunities in IT and military. These are both professions that hire disproportionately large number of males.

On the flip side, Seattle is not a very friendly city to a female who wants to advance her career in anything but IT. Everyone knows the IT field is pretty daunting for women.

This is absolutely correct. Seattle is atrocious for single men. To even compare it to a real city is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area