U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM

16 posts, read 16,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
playtrix, have you considered buying a place? In Kitsap County there are townhouses available for about what you are paying for rent. And there is a program in WA for assistance with down payments. You can see about that here:

WSHFC | Home Buyer Downpayment Assistance
I've heard of these programs where you basically back pay the downpayment they front you. I've been told to be wary as they will often make you take an adjustable rate loan.

But I'll take the class and see if it's good for me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Why don't you sublet the apartment over the garage?

Also: I'm pretty sure the landlord can't increase your rent by adding additional property. If they were renting the garage seperately then its not part of your lease. So they can't just raise your rent and include the garage without you signing a new lease to include it.

I would talk to the state Tenant's union. Regardless of what you've heard, the tenant laws are better here than most other places. you should look into them.
I work 60 + hours a week just trying to survive in this city and I don't want another responsibility basically.
Collecting rent, collecting utilities, making sure they don't wreck the place. If they flake out, I'm on the hook for $2500 for rent.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,255,844 times
That's a shame, it really is. "Rent Control" is a pretty obvious disincentive to build any more housing, thus exacerbating the problem for others long-term and limiting supply, nor does it lower overall prices, nor is there cash flow or incentive to maintain buildings. Also tends to concentrate poverty. As an investor, that's Kryptonite to people like me, so it does take all types to make up C-D apparently.

Try telling that to the Communists in Seattle who want "rent control". They lost. Again, thank God.

Sorry for your plight, I guess, and I'm surprised that's occurring in Kitsap too. There goes my plan of fleeing to Poulsbo in ten years. Market forces win again, vacancy rate for affordable places like that is extremely low so they say in places like Bothell and Renton, fringe commute areas to the core employers of Seattle. It's playing out like a classic economic simulation, I must say, with prices in the core spiking to some level then spreading outward. Where that stops is TBD. Epicenters are probably SLU in Seattle and Bellevue Eastside.

So Rotse's giving up and fleeing town? thought he had tech mad skilz and might stay, but might not be worth it to live in a mousetrap studio for $3K a month and work for a garbage employer like Amazon with average retention of 24 months or less (so they say). Times, they are a'changin'. Which is why I went MBA and management consulting, some years ago, but nevermind. The true nerd professions are suffering downward price pressure, but those requiring true business acumen pay well as ever.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM

320 posts, read 369,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playtrix View Post
I've heard of these programs where you basically back pay the downpayment they front you. I've been told to be wary as they will often make you take an adjustable rate loan.

But I'll take the class and see if it's good for me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Those programs are made for low income buyers, they're not made to ********* and they're usually not a loan, they've a gift. I qualified for one a million years ago (in VA) and I only had to pay it back if I sold the house within 10 years. If I had stayed longer than 10 years its forgiven.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM

320 posts, read 369,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playtrix View Post
I work 60 + hours a week just trying to survive in this city and I don't want another responsibility basically.
Collecting rent, collecting utilities, making sure they don't wreck the place. If they flake out, I'm on the hook for $2500 for rent.

You should really read the second half of my comment and contact the tenants union. I don't think its legal to change the terms of the lease and add new space.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 6,198,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
You should really read the second half of my comment and contact the tenants union. I don't think its legal to change the terms of the lease and add new space.
Actually, once the lease is up, there is no lease - the LL can do whatever they want. If they want to combine the two units, they can. One reason I can think of is if the unit over the garage is not legal.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 6,198,626 times
So, what you would like to find is a 2-bd/1-ba house for $1,400? And you, and the LL, are only now waking up to the realization that you had a pretty good deal?

Only two such places can be found in King County, but they don't take pets. Here are the closest (that take pets):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Raise your budget to $1,600 to get a couple more choices:

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 PM

489 posts, read 836,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Actually, once the lease is up, there is no lease - the LL can do whatever they want. If they want to combine the two units, they can. One reason I can think of is if the unit over the garage is not legal.
This was my thought as well.
Since when is anyone not allowed to make changes when the current lease expires?
If that was true, I'd still be renting that 1,800 square foot house in Lacey for $850 a month from the lease we signed in 1995.

To the OP, you'll also want to spend some of your time looking for a second job or a higher paying job.

-Mike

Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,289 posts, read 62,367,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
This was my thought as well.
Since when is anyone not allowed to make changes when the current lease expires?
If that was true, I'd still be renting that 1,800 square foot house in Lacey for $850 a month from the lease we signed in 1995.

To the OP, you'll also want to spend some of your time looking for a second job or a higher paying job.

-Mike
Yes, the terms of the original lease do not have to be carried over to a new one, in that would be extremely rare, since at minimum the rent will go up every time it's renewed. If the landlord chooses to include additional space and includes that on the new lease, ask for him to also include a provision that gives you the option of subleasing that additional space to someone else.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
That's a shame, it really is. "Rent Control" is a pretty obvious disincentive to build any more housing, thus exacerbating the problem for others long-term and limiting supply, nor does it lower overall prices, nor is there cash flow or incentive to maintain buildings. Also tends to concentrate poverty. As an investor, that's Kryptonite to people like me, so it does take all types to make up C-D apparently.

Try telling that to the Communists in Seattle who want "rent control". They lost. Again, thank God.

Sorry for your plight, I guess, and I'm surprised that's occurring in Kitsap too. There goes my plan of fleeing to Poulsbo in ten years. Market forces win again, vacancy rate for affordable places like that is extremely low so they say in places like Bothell and Renton, fringe commute areas to the core employers of Seattle. It's playing out like a classic economic simulation, I must say, with prices in the core spiking to some level then spreading outward. Where that stops is TBD. Epicenters are probably SLU in Seattle and Bellevue Eastside.

So Rotse's giving up and fleeing town? thought he had tech mad skilz and might stay, but might not be worth it to live in a mousetrap studio for $3K a month and work for a garbage employer like Amazon with average retention of 24 months or less (so they say). Times, they are a'changin'. Which is why I went MBA and management consulting, some years ago, but nevermind. The true nerd professions are suffering downward price pressure, but those requiring true business acumen pay well as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Sorry for your plight, I guess, and I'm surprised that's occurring in Kitsap too.

Wow, this is the lamest response I've heard to the issue yet. I am far from a communist and I disagree with all of your points. I had rent control in LA, and other well off cities; It saved my arse many times as well as countless others who are just trying to live out their lives without being priced out every time their lease is up.

Rent control sets rules on how much a LL can raise the rent upon time to renew the lease. Currently, they can raise it 200% if they want to which is a nice way to kick out their tenant. This is criminal imho.

We don't want you in Poulsbo.

Have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area