Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima1349 View Post
tommy64 - I will have to explore Tacoma a bit more. I've steered clear of it in the past, it does not have the best reputation. But, perhaps it's time for an exploratory mission.
Tacoma has changed a lot in the past 5-10 years. You might be pleasantly surprised with the North End neighborhoods.

You'd better move quick though, prices are skyrocketing like crazy there. The really desirable areas are getting to levels just below that of West Seattle, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Crazy, I've been with 2 sets of clients that area in the last week. Pretty good value for money, some spots have nice Lake Washington and Mt Rainier views, quick hop step to vibrant Columbia City also. Like anywhere close in, places get bid up. $700K would definitely make OP's wishes more feasible that $600K.
I was impressed with that listing. Are there well-treed properties like that in that area? I mean, is it a common thing?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:34 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was impressed with that listing. Are there well-treed properties like that in that area? I mean, is it a common thing?
Ruth, not common but they exist.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Burien. It's got the views, and DT Burien has the indy coffee shops to Starbucks ratio you're looking for. Plus it has an independant movie theatre, two good bakeries, bookstores, lots of good mexican places. And a great park.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Yes Ira, I am in complete agreement. A view, however, would push the price above the OP's $600k target. If they can settle for not having a view, but being close to one, Burien is great.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you look at the street view, you'll see that the trees surrounding that house are all on the lot (5,500sf) - it is an isolate. The house was built in the 1960s. Having Kubota Gardens a block away is a major plus.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Ruth, not common but they exist.
I asked, because in the neighborhood where I lived, in Victory Heights, it was common to have a lot full of cedar trees. Some neighborhoods are like that. (Lake Forest Park being a good example.) But I guess that later developers in that Renton/S. Seattle neighborhood cut down the trees? That's so sad. I don't think they realize that they're undermining the lots' value, when they do that.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
You aren't the only ones being priced out of West Seattle. My good friends could simply no longer afford their recent $500 a month rent increase for the home they were renting and now they've relocated to Auburn.

Discussed with a realtor friend of mine who confirms the hot zones for sales are down in Burien and Des Moines.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 PM

51 posts, read 95,596 times
Went to Tacoma today. Not very impressed. Very, very long stretches of suburban-like neighborhoods. Proctor was cute, and there's a coffee shop called Valhalla Coffee. Point Defiance Park is lovely, and there are some beautiful old houses at the north end of Proctor. Peaks and Pints was not bad for some beer and food.

But, overall the area feels a little poor and run down. Long stretches of suburban-like neighborhoods with no end in sight. Industrial area around I5 is just the most depressing thing between Vancouver and Portland. Biggest thing - while you can get Sound views, you can't really see the Olympics. Pretty much a deal-breaker for me. If I was willing to give up Olympic views, Vashon or Bainbridge both offer more nature and a more quaint town while having a better commute to Seattle.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima1349 View Post
Went to Tacoma today. Not very impressed. Very, very long stretches of suburban-like neighborhoods. Proctor was cute, and there's a coffee shop called Valhalla Coffee. Point Defiance Park is lovely, and there are some beautiful old houses at the north end of Proctor. Peaks and Pints was not bad for some beer and food.

But, overall the area feels a little poor and run down. Long stretches of suburban-like neighborhoods with no end in sight. Industrial area around I5 is just the most depressing thing between Vancouver and Portland. Biggest thing - while you can get Sound views, you can't really see the Olympics. Pretty much a deal-breaker for me. If I was willing to give up Olympic views, Vashon or Bainbridge both offer more nature and a more quaint town while having a better commute to Seattle.
Surprising.. I think that if your'e in the Northend, the views are better or equivalent to anything Seattle has to offer. I mean, come on, looking at Browns point from commencement bay looks like you're viewing a coastal Mediterranean town. On top of that, Mt. Rainier is something like 20 miles closer and it is very noticeable. Certain neighborhoods are ready for improvement and up to date infrastructure but I think hat the northend has done an excellent job of keep itself modernized, while still retaining its old charm.I think that it could be more lively, but there is so much room to grow and it is.. very quickly. Tacoma is a land of opportunity and probably the last city on the West Coast with that claim. Get it while you can..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area