Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:40 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,295,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkittykat View Post
I’m so sorry that I have to correct everything dude. Zip it UP!
Apparently, you chose to not correct anything, assuming you even recognized the stream of errors (18 is a correct count) you were committing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:01 PM

35 posts, read 29,410 times
I suggest you come. You can always go back if you don't like Seattle or don't find a place to live besides your sister's condo. You are young and should try new things while it's relative easy.

Lots of cities surrounding Seattle. Unless you know the city limits it's hard to tell what city you are in. They touch one another and have weird boundaries. For example one of the Redmond fire stations is in Bellevue city limits. Look for an apartment by commute time rather than by the name of the city.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:42 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
The college in Kirkland is Northwest University, if you say Northwestern you might confuse some people

The cities surrounding Seattle are quite expensive but Kirkland is a nice town and has great location, so it's probably worth the cost.

If you're looking to be closer to the action, I'd follow pwright1's suggestion and look into Seattle neighborhoods (east and south of downtown, north of downtown is $$$).
Of course it's worth the cost (cough). Malibu on Lake WA! Alright, was at the Beach House on Lk WA Blvd this AM for breakfast, dodging the St. Patty's Day 5K runners, it's a bit dead on the water in the winter. Go figure...in the summer it's a pleasant madhouse. Love all the things to do in Kirkland from (about) June to November. Rest of the time, it's gray and sleepy.

Nothing rude to say here for OP:

As long as you have a place to stay, and a little time to find a job that pays real coin, in my estimation $75K and up for a single person**, it doesn't sound like there is lots to lose for a couple month job search. Who knows, could be easy, could be tough. You can always hit the eject button back to Atlanta, right? Last time I paid a $1K/month and those kind of utilities rates was 1999, before I bought a condo and then other properties. Good places in Seattle (greater area) tend to run roughly $2.5K/month plus various utilities these days, plus or minus (look into that).

This is a metro for tech workers in-particular to find a playground. Others whiners on this forum who live in ghetto parts of town and complain about "rent increases" from, say, $1,500 to $1,750, moving from one shooting gallery to another, are living in complete denial of the 2018 reality. Don't be like that over the long term, it's a setup to fail. Now that would a shame, and may be rude: if you can't find well-paying work, you might struggle over the long term. Many do. Caveat emptor.

**YMMV, there are many variables into what constitutes "enough" for a single person to live a fun lifestyle in Seattle area these days.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,597,730 times
Quote:
My sister wants me to move to Seattle with her and I debating to go. She works for Amazon and she wants me to get a intern job there with her. It’s a lot of things going on in Atlanta and a fresh start will help. I’m currently in college online and I work for att customer service rep., I will be graduating soon. She has a nice condo there and I willingly to go but I can’t stay with her forever I have to get a job and apartment and that’s a lot. I know that Seattle is very costly. Now, I pay for $1050 for rent in downtown Atlanta and Utilities about $150-$200. She told me I can stay how long I need to I am a person I don’t like to stay with people. This is not the first time she ask me to stay with her. What’s is some near cities in Seattle that I can move to. She told me about a nice college call Northwestern in Kirkland Wa? Any Suggests? And please no rude comments.
I wouldn't move here without a job lined up. The place is expensive. And the vibe is very different than Atlanta.

Is it possible for you to transfer your AT&T job to Seattle? If so, then why not make the move for six months and see if you like the place.

Otherwise, if you enjoy living in Atlanta and are comfortable on your current salary then stay put and try to make it work.

Seattle and PNW in general isn't for everyone. Takes a very different mindset to thrive in Seattle. Visit (preferably during the gloomy months) before you make the decision to leave your job.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,211,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I wouldn't move here without a job lined up. The place is expensive. And the vibe is very different than Atlanta.

Is it possible for you to transfer your AT&T job to Seattle? If so, then why not make the move for six months and see if you like the place.

Otherwise, if you enjoy living in Atlanta and are comfortable on your current salary then stay put and try to make it work.

Seattle and PNW in general isn't for everyone. Takes a very different mindset to thrive in Seattle. Visit (preferably during the gloomy months) before you make the decision to leave your job.
Why not a test run, as long as she has a place to stay with her sis?

Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 PM

590 posts, read 283,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Why not a test run, as long as she has a place to stay with her sis?
He possibly gets the vibe that OP has no marketable skills and will struggle to get a job that pays enough

Old 03-17-2018, 11:22 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,597,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
He possibly gets the vibe that OP has no marketable skills and will struggle to get a job that pays enough

What are you talking about? She's in college working as a a customer service rep for at&t. She can afford to pay $1k for rent. I think she is doing ok for herself.

No reason to throw it all away now. Seattle isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,564,937 times
Why don’t you try living with here first to see if you like it? That seems like a great way to explore liw stress. Maybe request a leave of absence in ATL or ask if you can transfer. You may not like living with other people but living without money is much worse. BTW, when I visited way back in 1995 my friend was going to UW and he and his roomies were paying $2k for a 2 BR apartment in the U-District. So, I am sure certain areas of Seattle have always been expensive.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,222,940 times
Quote:
My sister wants me to move to Seattle with her and I debating to go. She works for Amazon and she wants me to get a intern job there with her. It’s a lot of things going on in Atlanta and a fresh start will help. I’m currently in college online and I work for att customer service rep., I will be graduating soon. She has a nice condo there and I willingly to go but I can’t stay with her forever I have to get a job and apartment and that’s a lot. I know that Seattle is very costly. Now, I pay for $1050 for rent in downtown Atlanta and Utilities about $150-$200. She told me I can stay how long I need to I am a person I don’t like to stay with people. This is not the first time she ask me to stay with her. What’s is some near cities in Seattle that I can move to. She told me about a nice college call Northwestern in Kirkland Wa? Any Suggests? And please no rude comments.
If you're graduating soon, why are you looking at Northwestern College, graduate school? I would suggest University of Washington if you're a good student (as others have pointed out, your writing might be a problem if you were to get into Udub though).

The site I like indicates Seattle is overall 27% more expensive than Atlanta so that's what you're dealing with....you should make that much more or you're taking a downgrade in financial status.

Pros for Seattle are even prettier than Atlanta, the water and mountains, a cooler climate so it could be a pro or con for you, and an even stronger economy and higher pay than Atlanta, and safer. Atlanta is cheaper, sunnier, and warmer if that's what you prefer.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM

590 posts, read 283,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
What are you talking about? She's in college working as a a customer service rep for at&t. She can afford to pay $1k for rent. I think she is doing ok for herself.

No reason to throw it all away now. Seattle isn't going anywhere.
I misread your post then. I thought you were implying she wouldn't be able to afford Seattle since she's not a software developer or something. Contrary to what you are saying though, the USA economy and job growth are as good as it's been in 10 years, so if you leave your job you can probably get it back or find another. No reason to be risk adverse right now.

Last edited by rupp-certified; 03-18-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area