Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 PM

513 posts, read 499,180 times

Advertisements

Seattle isn't as vibrant as more established, larger cities. But compared to most mid-tier cities in the United States, it has a lot going for it. Physically beautiful, walkable in most parts, clean air, things to do both indoors and outdoors and a good bus system. The city overall is safe compared to peer cities.

Seattle has a less urban feel in many parts because most of the city was developed in the automobile age. The architecture really varies, but a lot of it is mid-century modernist boxes, and newer modernist boxes, neither of which are that aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion). It also lags in public transit. It also has a bad case of "whimsy" in architecture and design, which I'm not a fan of. (See any of Sound Transit's public art for an excellent example).

I've been here 22 years and it's gone from feeling like a big small city to a small big city. It's got everything a big city would have, but it's not at NYC or SF levels. It's less laid back than it used to be (negative) but there are more amenities and things to do now (positive).

People who say there aren't good restaurants here (or in Portland) are just being snobs. There are plenty of good restaurants here. There are fewer really expensive restaurants than NYC and SF. So if "good" equals "expensive" then yes, there are fewer of those in Seattle. I consider this a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 06:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I've been here 22 years and it's gone from feeling like a big small city to a small big city. It's got everything a big city would have, but it's not at NYC or SF levels. It's less laid back than it used to be (negative) but there are more amenities and things to do now (positive).
"big small city"-interesting way of putting it.

Seattle can be an appealing place, if a combination of a fabulous natural setting, and a moderate level of urban amenities are to your liking.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-27-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 07:40 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I lived in Vancouver in the early 1970's and Seattle was a gritty, blue collar town at that time. TOWN...not a urban area. .
Much of Seattle consists of Single Family Homes/with yards-a sort of old school version. Much of Seattle does feel like a town. Like a larger town, rather than a small town, in my opinion.

Not a bad option to have!

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-27-2018 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 08:02 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Just enough urban, just enough cool neighborhoods and just enough nature interspersed for my taste.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
If you have a couple million dollars you may even be able to afford one of those homes.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
seattle falls short of bigger, older us cities in those departments. We have a "real" downtown for sure, but most parts of it keep banker's hours, and public transit is finally approaching acceptable, but still behind.

There's art, museums, ballet, concerts, good cuisine... But it's not going to quite compare to a serious metropolis.
+1

Old 03-28-2018, 06:13 AM

672 posts, read 442,828 times
Seattle traffic is world class.
Some of the homeless camp garbage dumps are up there too.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 AM

513 posts, read 499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Seattle traffic is world class.
Some of the homeless camp garbage dumps are up there too.
Ha!! Seattle's traffic is definitely world class.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:27 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Seattle is undeniably the best city in the world to buy miniature Space Needle replicas.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Typically you don't move to Seattle for its 'urban-ness' - you move here because what other large city, with this kind of job market, with an airport that is a hub for a couple airlines, has this kind of access to alpine wilderness? I have always wondered why people who are not into the outdoors move here, I'd think it would be rather disappointing and limiting (and expensive) if you aren't. To me, having this kind of access to incredible mountains and water makes up for it, but if it weren't for that, I'm not sure that we would have stayed as long as we have.

Someone moving here from older, established east coast cities would probably find our little pockets of urban neighborhoods to be few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area