U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,503,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You can't.
Clearly they are different.
But the fact that I can see online, in real time, the weather on my land down there makes it all the harder to put up with the unusually crappy weather here in Seattle at the moment.

Sometimes knowledge can indeed be a curse.

Ken
I am interested in your opinion....does the weather of a location trump all other considerations when evaluating a place to live? When I first started hanging out at this site, I was surprised at the how much weight people gave to the weather when they were considering places to relocate to. I mean people are willing to just uproot their life and move half way across the country to a sparsely populated desert, because the weather is warmer. I guess I just never really put much thought into the climate of an area, because there are so many other considerations to think about when deciding where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 PM

16,036 posts, read 13,961,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I am interested in your opinion....does the weather of a location trump all other considerations when evaluating a place to live? When I first started hanging out at this site, I was surprised at the how much weight people gave to the weather when they were considering places to relocate to. I mean people are willing to just uproot their life and move half way across the country to a sparsely populated desert, because the weather is warmer. I guess I just never really put much thought into the climate of an area, because there are so many other considerations to think about when deciding where to live.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but for us, when we began searching for an eventually retirement destination here was my criteria (in this order):

1) A warmer/sunnier climate - we wanted a place where the average winter lows do not at any time of year get cooler than here in Seattle (or if they do, then not by much). We also wanted a place where it was not too hot - for us that meant never averaging over 100 at any time of the year. It could be close to 100 if it's a generally dry heat - but upper 80's & low 90's were best.

2) Needed to be affordable. We love Hawaii, but it's just too darned pricey

3) Wanted to be in or near a smaller town with basic shopping but within an hour of a big city that has large hospitals etc

4) Would prefer it wasn't completely bone dry - arid is OK as we both both enjoy the climate and scenery of Eastern Washington so near desert is OK, but Death Valley type dryness is not.

So yeah, weather was our single most important consideration. Weather is WHY we want to leave Seattle when I retire. I've been here since 1974 and in many ways love it. It certainly is beautiful -but after all those years I want someplace with more warmth. The older I get the more I feel the chill and damp and to be quite honest about it, I'm tired of it. I don't particularly like the winters - though in truth they are far better (as far as I'm concerned) than the icy conditions (even if they are sunny) found in many other parts of the country. What really bugs me are the summers - like last year - that pretty much fail to materialize. Most of the time summers here are pretty nice (though not as warm or as long as I would like) - but sometimes, they are well, just crappy. THOSE summers REALLY get to me.

My wife is even MORE anxious for a sunny climate than I am. She has lived in this part of the country for her entire life and really wants out.

So, when retirement comes (if not before) we're off to SE Arizona - a part of the country with an almost perfect climate in my opinion - short mild (nearly non-existant really) winters, and warm pleasant (but not frying pan hot) summers.

Ken

PS - When be began our search for a retirement destination, I started with climate - finding the areas that had the best climate and quickly narrowed it down to SE Arizona and then focused in on a community that met our other requirements. That turned out to be SE Arizona near Benson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area