U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM

14 posts, read 83,508 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Seattle and trying to weigh up renting one of the places advertised as "with utilities included" (more expensive?) vs those without.

Can someone suggest what the ball-park figure/s for monthly utilities (gas, water, electricity, phone connection - not including calls) would be in downtown Seattle for a single person in a 1 bedroom apartment?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 AM

12 posts, read 35,822 times
It's a good thing you are thinking about these things before hand. It sometimes makes a big difference in rent. It varies from building to building and from area to area. I lived in an apartment in Seattle for 3 years and the water and sewer was included in the rent. The utility cost any where from 20 - 40 depends on the season.

I moved to nicer neigborhood a year and half ago. The rent is already reaching my budget and when I received the water/sewer bill, guess how much? $90!!!! Every dollar of water you use, they charge $3 on sewer. Why? Just because they can. Just because you are paying expensive rent and they assume you are a millinaire and don't care about the spending! After a lot of complain from the residents in the building, the leasing office finally switched the water company. But it's still $50 a month. I heard the average water/sewer bill shouldn't be over $20. Just something to think about.

So I would say, for the majority of the apartments, it should be under $70 in total.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM

384 posts, read 1,000,951 times
Perhaps look a little closer on the same page..

Example Utilities around Seattle?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM

686 posts, read 3,336,576 times
Renting or buying in Seattle can be a VERY expensive thing to do. By having utilties included (depending on which one(s)) you can save quite a bit of money. According to this website below, the average rent for a 1 bedroom APT in King County (Which includes Seattle) is $812.

The Seattle Times: Real Estate: Apartment hunt will be tougher for renters

I know when I was looking, I couldn't find a decent place for under $700. And that was for a studio. The more space you have and the more bedrooms, obviously the more you will pay. If you are looking to rent an apartment in downtown Seattle, good luck finding anything affordable. I can guarantee you won't find a studio apartment there for under $1000 a month. Unless of course it's a dive. Hope this helps.

Daniel

Old 03-29-2008, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 83,508 times
Thanks for those replies. That is a great help. Where I'm from utilities are almost never included, and when you move in you usually have to organise with each company to get each service "connected". It can be a big hassle when you're already maxed out organising all your moving. As much as anything I was hoping for a utilities included just to avoid that hassle if it wasn't much more then paying for them myself. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area