Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a move to Woodinville. We've lived in Seattle for two decades and count ourselves lucky to own a beautiful house on a family friendly block where everyone knows each other. But between my husband's commute and our desire for some space for our two kids (ages 8 and 5), we're looking elsewhere. We've narrowed in on the Hollywood Hill community as a place that offers a rural feel while still providing a connected community where it isn't impossible to know your neighbors. But it's so hard to get a sense for a community by looking at real estate listings. If you are resident, I'd love to hear from you. What's the community like? Do neighbors know each other? Does the community come together? Are there many families with younger kids? For any of you who used to live in Seattle, I'd love to hear about your transition - the good, the bad and the ugly! Any and all feedback welcome as we contemplate this big move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 PM

70 posts, read 84,239 times
Hi Homegrown - While I didn't live in Woodinville proper, I used to live nearby so I have some perspective. It's been my experience that in the neighborhoods with the large lots (.5 acres+) in Woodinville, Redmond and Sammamish there is less of a sense of community. The houses in those large parcel neighborhoods tend to be set back further off the road and more private. If you're looking for more of a 'neighborhood" feel, look at neighborhoods with smaller lot sizes (.25 acres or so) where the houses are closer to the road. If you find a neighborhood you like, go back and visit it on a sunny weekend day and check out the activity. Are people working in their yards, kids riding bikes, etc? Feel free to knock on a neighbor's door ask what the community/neighborhood is like - I find that the neighbors are happy to chat with prospective buyers. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
My favorite part of Woodinville that we pass through often is Reintree, on 194th Ave NE that runs between Woodinville-Duvall Rd. and Paradise Lake Rd. We see kids playing on the cul de sacs but I can’t say what the neighborhood vibe is.

Our friends live on Hollywood Hill since 1990, and loved it, but recently moved. Their kids had moved out but also they became frustrated with all the traffic now from the wineries and restaurants down below near those two big roundabouts.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM

96 posts, read 49,996 times
Giving a belated perspective on Hollywood Hill. We lived in Seattle (Madison Park, Leschi) then built a home in downtown Kirkland. Then relocated to Europe and came back. Kirkland has lost of lot of its charm with the downtown area ripping out two story buildings for corporate style aka Kirkland Urban.

We moved out to Hollywood Hill for more breathing space and we love it. Would not move back in and at the same time we are still very close. It takes 10-15 minutes to get to 405 at Totem Lake and it's very rare to get stuck in traffic, the roads are often quiet. Once on 405 you can hit the express lanes and be in Seattle door to door in 30 minutes. Even with heavy traffic it's not more than 45. We have shopping in Woodinville and Totem Lake. Both 10 minutes. Redmond is 15. Downtown Kirkland is 20.

We are on the West side of the hill so very close to the wineries. A new development is supposed to be starting to be built by the wineries/Sammamish river (not sure what will happen since COVID) called The Farmstead. It will have two story buildings with restaurants, specialty retail and a new boutique hotel. Also a grocery store. Our neighborhood is mostly professionals: doctors, CPAs, IT executives. People generally have moved in for the long term, many of our neighbors have been here 20 yrs. Lots of people have chickens, beehives, horses, dogs and like to garden and grow food. So its suburban/country. We have trails everywhere where bears and coyotes are seen. Its incredible when you consider how close in we are.

It's been a great location since COVID as easy to social distance, but lots of space to spread out and friendly neighbors who all help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area