Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Come to Connecticut nice small state with pretty New England towns with good schools, small walkable downtown centers, good parks. The benefits are you close to NYC and Boston, weekend trip to beaches, mountains etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Thatguy, crazydonkey didn't blame all racist problems on Trump, read the post again. It says that Trump has "enabled" nativism, which is just the truth. Hateful people are more empowered to hate right now, racist incidents (antiblack, antisemitic, many kinds) are statistically way up. Any objective person can see that.
Thanks, Homes, I was about to reply, but saw you'd already done it for me, and better than I probably could have.

I don't know whether Trump is personally racist or not. He has, however, cynically inflamed racial resentment and enabled animus against immigrants, fueling the politics of resentment, in able to harvest support from those "nativist" quarters of the population. Note, however, that he's perfectly fine with natives of Norway coming here.

Nativism has a long history in our country. Those ignorant of the concept might want to read up:

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-trump/521355/

Old 05-12-2018, 10:44 PM

361 posts, read 398,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I can certainly understand. My husband had to peel me off the wall of my sisters house near the Banzai and chain me to the plane . I DID NOT want to come back ( I live in University Place at the moment )
hey DutchessCotton. University Place is a nice place, where you live. At least it seems to be one of the more expensive and cleaner parts of Pierce County.

I was going to move there. However, although it's a clean little town area west of Tacoma, it still lacks some vibrant lifestyle for young guys like me, that King County has to offer.

Quote:
and it was SO GOOD to eat local again there .
He is from The Netherlands - someone here gets upset if I use the word Holland and its MY business - anyway he gets all kinds of &@%$ at work ( aviation mechanic) just being from Europe . Some of these dolts cannot understand that he is not a communist and so what if he was , but it makes his life very rough at work .
Wait a minute. Was the Netherlands even a communist nation in the past?

Poor husband of yours. I can't stand some of the ignorant and childish and the passive aggressive type of people/locals here. They get on my nerves. Hahaha!

Quote:
They've even scribbled hammer/sickle stuff on his extremely $$$$$$$ toolboxes . Really rude . Just because they ASSUME The Netherlands is a communist country. Wrong . He and I are both white .
Your husband should report that kind of pranks to his manager or supervisor or the HR department of the company. These kinds of pranks and hate message should not be tolerated at his workplace.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
I am in WA right this moment, have been since March and will be most of the summer. I bounce between Seattle (Bellevue), SoCal, and Honolulu believe it or not.
Nice. What kind of job do you do that allows you to bounce around Honolulu, Seattle area and L.A.?

Quote:
And the truck rednecks are common in Seattle, especially the south and north sound, but everyone here gets pissed if you merge and camps passive-aggressively in the left lane.
Really? Because I don't see that kind of aggressive a-hole drivers up in the Seattle or mainly the King County area. I guess there are more lanes on the I-5 freeway. However, from my observation of driving up and down the 167 freeway and the 512 freeway from Puyallup to South Tacoma/Lakewood, there are always large truck drivers, dodge rams, Toyota Tundra's, Ford F-150/350, Nissan Titan, etc....truck drivers who think they own the left-most lane of the freeway, get angry, honk their horn if I merge in front of them, even if there is a LOT of space in front of their clunker trucks. Same for "some", but not all, of the commercial trucks drivers.

Quote:
WA has a huge scumbag population it seems, but of course the white trash scum will definitely be more concentrated in the rural areas.
Yeah, no kidding that these blue collar redneck type of people are concentrated out here in Enumclaw, Buckley, Puyallup, South Hill and Frederickson area.

I also don't like South Tacoma and the areas by Portland Avenue. That is a different kind of "ghetto" area.

Quote:
You'll find the Eastside has the passive-aggressive Subarus camping out in the left lane, but they won't make eye contact. The social aspect in the PacNW is just terrible overall, end to end.
Oh great!

Looks like I will be dealing with another class of a-holes when I live on the Eastside of town.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I can really sympathize with the OP, but I am sad to say I get treated like crap by people here and I am a white boy. Well, I am actually a minority as well, but I am Jewish ,so many people cannot really tell at first.
Rotse, but aren't Ashkenazi jewish people of Caucasian descent? Why do people here make a difference? To me, a lot of former jewish co-workers back when I was working in Chicago looked like your average white person.

Quote:
I cannot say that the OP is experiencing racism because he is Native Islander. There are many native Islanders and Asian people where I live in the South Sound and I have yet to hear any of them being alienated because they are Asian.
I am not Polynesian, although I'm from HI. I'm mixed Korean and Yonsei (4th gen Japanese-amer).

You probably don't hear much about Polynesians or the East or Southeast Asians you have met or encountered, being alienated, because they probably have family members here, their parents live here, and they have close relatives living in Pierce, King, Thurston or Snohomish County.

Quote:
In fact, Lakewood has one of the largest Asian populations in the country and has a pretty exceptional International District.
Really? I do shop in the Lakewood area....shop at H-Mart of Paldo. But I don't think Lakewood has the largest Asian population in the country.

Quote:
Every type of treatment the OP has had, I have also encountered.
So are you trying to discount and dismiss my awful experiences working and living in the East pierce county area?

I am very sure, although you're of jewish descent, that if you were to work at my workplace, and wanted to be friends with others here, they would accept you and socialize more with you, as opposed to some "foreign-looking Asian guy" like me (although I was born here in the US, and I have served in the military in the past for this country...*shakes head*).

Quote:
People in the Northwest are very cliquey, reserved, insular and mistrusting of people they don't know.
I disagree. there is this Filipina who is originally from the Philippines, she was accepted by a lot of white co-workers. Same for this Mexican/Hispanic female who is originally from the Tri-City area (Kennewick) who was accepted by co-workers.

I could tell because I have seen her Facebook photos of barbeque gatherings at her house with other co-workers, but mainly the female co-workers.

Quote:
Auburn and Kent are pretty dicey towns and have lots of sketchy people. I think the OP's problem is that he lives in these grimey towns. Of course, he may be encountering some real racism, but I just know that encountering passive aggressive people, snobby workmates who don't want to be your friend, getting the cold shoulder and dealing with a-hole rednecks in their pickup trucks who drive like crap are all experiences that I and many other people have encountered here.
Again, you seem to be making assumptions that my bad experiences down here in Puyallup/Frederickson is not based on discrimination/racism because you're white (although in most of your postings that I've read, you bring out your Jewish heritage a lot) and that you have experienced some of the things that I have pointed out in my original posting.

Quote:
I had one such redneck terrorize me going on an on-ramp here in Lacey, Washington and he wouldn't leave me alone until I stood up to him and let him know that he if keeps terrorizing me it will get ugly. I won't go into more details, but I look like a typical white Joe driving in my SUV and I have been flicked off and terrorized by some of Washington's hillbilly/redneck population as well.
Aw, come on Rotse. Tell us how you got that driver off your a--. I ask because I accidentally merged in front of a car on the 167 freeway north-bound near Kent when I was driving up to visit a friend of mine in Bothell. The driver honked his horn at me, flicked his middle finger out his window, and I just ignored that POS. However, he kept following me, and I was afraid because it was night time, around 10PM, and dark, so I did not want to get into any confrontation with that kind of people.

Do you pack (a gun)?

What I did was i turned on the light in my car, showed that a-hole driver my smart phone that I was videotaping him driving erratically next to me and following me. he then took the next freeway exit and vanished.

Quote:
neighborhood, one military veteran who lives down the street has a Filipina wife. My neighbors are Cambodian and have lived here for over 20 years and seem to enjoy the area. There are so many Asian people here and white guys with Asian women that i just cannot fathom there is some bias against Asians.
But unfortunately, not the other way around for the kind of couple you have just pointed out to me. Which is why the social and dating scene down here in very sh--ty (or in general here in the US).

Is the social/dating scene better up in the Redmond/Bellevue area for a guy like me? Maybe. I'll see.

Quote:
As far as the Eastside, I hope you have cash. Because the Asian people there are some of the most pretentious I ever met. I did not like the Indian or Chinese people I met in Bellevue area.
Well, to be on equal ground, I used to live and work in the L.A./Southern California and I have known a lot of pretentious Jewish people in West L.A. as well. So there are a lot of pretentious people from all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.

I don't have much cash. I don't make six-figures with my job,...... at least not yet with my work experience. But I will rent an apartment, and see how well I like living up in Redmond area.

I do plan on getting married later this year,....so hopefully my new job will give me better/higher pay (an opportunities for overtime hours) compared to where I am working right now.

Quote:
Vancouver, BC was so much different in this regard. It was a cultural mix of everyone and it was not uncommon to see Chinese, Indians and white people all intermingling. You didn't have the class system and segregation you have in the Eastside.
^^ Oh my! Vancouver, BC is awesome! If the cost of living was not too expensive in Vancouver, BC, I would move up there in a heart beat. The downside to Vancouver, BC is that there are not a lot of job opportunities up there, as opposed to down here in the Puget Sound region.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:50 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Rotse, but aren't Ashkenazi jewish people of Caucasian descent? Why do people here make a difference? To me, a lot of former jewish co-workers back when I was working in Chicago looked like your average white person.
Well, where I grew up, there was people who use to make fun of me for being Jewish. Maybe, they cannot tell right away. My brothers look quite Arabic and always get hassled when traveling via air. I got the more Ukrainian looks. Ashkenazi Jews are of mixed descent. We have Caucasian blood because of years of rape and some intermixing in the various countries we lived. However, my father and brothers look more Arabic than Russian. Actually, my father's side is part Bukharian Jews who hail from Uzbekistan and are of the Mizrachi Jewish ethnic group. My mother looks Ukrainian and I got her looks and complexion. My father and brothers have olive skin and black hair and look Lebanese or Sicilian. Although, on more than one occasion I have had Arabic people ask me if I am Syrian or Lebanese.

Quote:
I am not Polynesian, although I'm from HI. I'm mixed Korean and Yonsei (4th gen Japanese-amer).
Whoops.. Sorry, I always think people from Hawaii are Polynesian. I should have not assumed such.

Quote:
You probably don't hear much about Polynesians or the East or Southeast Asians you have met or encountered, being alienated, because they probably have family members here, their parents live here, and they have close relatives living in Pierce, King, Thurston or Snohomish County.
Hmmmm.. Strange, because the Korean people I met here have quite large families, churches, networks of friends, etc. But, I am not Korean, so I don't know the depths of how insular their community is and if they tend to stick more to themselves or intermingle with the rest of the population.

Quote:
Really? I do shop in the Lakewood area....shop at H-Mart of Paldo. But I don't think Lakewood has the largest Asian population in the country.
Well, I have traveled Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and Portland and don't remember a neighborhood with miles of Korean businesses, restaurants, shopping centers that were so expansive as what I saw in the ID of Lakewood. Well, maybe Federal Way is another contender. But, of course, I have not traveled throughout all of the USA, so I could be dead wrong and there probably is much larger Korean neighborhoods.

Quote:
So are you trying to discount and dismiss my awful experiences working and living in the East pierce county area?
I am not discounting or dismissing them. Instead, I am wondering if they are unique to your race or just the fact that you are a living, breathing human dwelling in an area that is not known for very friendly people and great hospitality. For example, I am Jewish and people here mock me and insult me all the time when I share experiences of racism that happened to me in Seattle. THey claim it didn't happen and everyone here loves Jews. I never said such things to you, rather I was just wondering if the bad experiences you had are truly about your race or just because people are not nice in general where you live? I would never try to dismiss anyone's bad experience and was actually disturbed to here the bad experiences you had.

Quote:
I am very sure, although you're of jewish descent, that if you were to work at my workplace, and wanted to be friends with others here, they would accept you and socialize more with you, as opposed to some "foreign-looking Asian guy" like me .
I guess I got it good then.. I can send you the picture that a guy I knew sent me on Chanukkah of him flicking off the Chabad menorah in front of me. Or, maybe I can tell you about the constant jokes about being a Christ Killer ,a thief, money launderer and all the other crap I deal with quite frequently and would certainly have to endure in a workplace. Assuming this work place is not dominated by Jewish people.

Quote:
(although I was born here in the US, and I have served in the military in the past for this country...*shakes head*)
Thank you for your service. It's sad you would get substandard treatment, being a military veteran. That makes my blood boil even more.

Quote:
I disagree. there is this Filipina who is originally from the Philippines, she was accepted by a lot of white co-workers. Same for this Mexican/Hispanic female who is originally from the Tri-City area (Kennewick) who was accepted by co-workers.
HUH?? You do realize many white people (esp racist idiots) have a hard time distinguishing one Asian ethnic group from another? If anything most white people I know admire Korean people more than other Asians. I, myself, e.g, will only buy Samsung phones, SSD drives and various other electronic equipment. They are a very innovative group of people and many white people I talk to (who know what Koreans look like) claim they are the most attractive group of Asians. I, myself, find Korean women really beautiful. South Korean movies have also become somewhat popular, like the horror flicks. Train to Busan, e.g, is one of my favorite horror movies. I've yet to hear any person tell me that Filipinos get all the preferential treatment.

Quote:
Again, you seem to be making assumptions that my bad experiences down here in Puyallup/Frederickson is not based on discrimination/racism because you're white (although in most of your postings that I've read, you bring out your Jewish heritage a lot) and that you have experienced some of the things that I have pointed out in my original posting.
I agree that if you are Asian, Hispanic or Black and live in a lower income, poor white community you will encounter more racism day to day than a white person. That is sad.. The question is how frequent are these bouts of racism you encounter?

I grew up with poor white people and lived in many rural areas. Indeed, there is a lot of ignorance and stupidity. Although, some of the so-called racists are not truly racist. One friend I had a long time ago in Pullman used the N word a lot. Yet, when he met a black guy he liked, he always said, OH He is a cool black guy and even was friends with them. Other guys I knew claimed to be Neo-Nazis and yet still would hang out with me even knowing I am Jewish. Of course, there are real racist people who hate you. I have had people tell me they were so happy about what Hitler did and would laugh in my face. I have had no shortage of attacks and I can sympathize with you for whatever real, genuine racism you have encountered and I am sure you have encountered your share in life.

Quote:
Aw, come on Rotse. Tell us how you got that driver off your a--. I ask because I accidentally merged in front of a car on the 167 freeway north-bound near Kent when I was driving up to visit a friend of mine in Bothell. The driver honked his horn at me, flicked his middle finger out his window, and I just ignored that POS. However, he kept following me, and I was afraid because it was night time, around 10PM, and dark, so I did not want to get into any confrontation with that kind of people.
Unfortunately, I cannot disclose the details.. However, I can give you a little advice on how to get a few of these a-holes off your back. Put a large Molon Labe, Glock, Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson and/or NRA sticker on the back of your car. Most of those a-hole rednecks will stop bothering you.

Quote:
Do you pack (a gun)?
Yes I do..

Quote:
But unfortunately, not the other way around for the kind of couple you have just pointed out to me. Which is why the social and dating scene down here in very sh--ty (or in general here in the US).
It is, but not just for Korean/Japanese people. It's tough for all of men in a place with such a gender disparity.

Quote:
Is the social/dating scene better up in the Redmond/Bellevue area for a guy like me? Maybe. I'll see.
If you got cash.

Quote:
Well, to be on equal ground, I used to live and work in the L.A./Southern California and I have known a lot of pretentious Jewish people in West L.A. as well. So there are a lot of pretentious people from all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.
Sorry to hear the Jews in West LA treated you like crap. Well, if it is any consolation to you, the Jewish community in Seattle treated me like less than dog crap. They are one of the most wealthy, pretentious , cold and unfriendly Jewish communities I ever met, especially in Seward Park. It was such a night and day difference when I went to Portland and met normal, middle class Jewish people who treat you like an equal. You want to hear something funny? There was an wealthy Asian guy who was a convert to Judaism who attended the synagogue in Seward Park and everyone treated him great, because he had lots of cash. Whereas everyone would talk to him and ask him how his family and kids are, everyone would ignore me and pretend I wasn't there. You want to talk about polarization and mistreatment, especially coming from your own people? Oh yeah, my wealthy Jewish relatives down in Los Angeles never call me , ask how I am or wish me a happy birthday. Why? Because i am not making a lot of money right now. So, once again, I can relate to what you are saying.

Quote:
don't have much cash. I don't make six-figures with my job,...... at least not yet with my work experience. But I will rent an apartment, and see how well I like living up in Redmond area.
I would reconsider living in Bellevue/Redmond if you are making anything under $100,000. But, that is just me.. Have you ever considered moving to Portland? It is a much friendlier city and I find it to be more open-minded. I've had several Asian friends throughout the years growing up in Oregon. None of them I have recalled feeling oppressed. For example, i use to go shooting with a Japanese American guy in Portland. He was a former Marine Sergeant who served multiple tours in Afghanistan. He was married to a beautiful blonde lady and seemed to enjoy his life. I also would go shooting with some of his friends. All if them were white and one was a Portland police officer.

Quote:
I do plan on getting married later this year,....so hopefully my new job will give me better/higher pay (an opportunities for overtime hours) compared to where I am working right now.
I'd advise against monogamy and legal marriage, but that is a totally different subject for a different thread/forum.

Quote:
^^ Oh my! Vancouver, BC is awesome! If the cost of living was not too expensive in Vancouver, BC, I would move up there in a heart beat. The downside to Vancouver, BC is that there are not a lot of job opportunities up there, as opposed to down here in the Puget Sound region.
Vancouver is a fun place and there is a lot going on and has more true diversity than the so-called diversity and acceptance people in Seattle champion so loudly.

I'm sorry you are struggling SunAndRain.. I had quite a miserable and lonely time living in the Puget Sound and I am happy to be leaving. No, I am not Korean, but almost wonder with all the Korean people around here if there would have been more opportunities being of that background. Of course, getting treated like crap at work is not fun at all. Although, I have no desire to ever work a job in Kent. I just don't like Kent/Auburn area and use to live near there, myself. There is just a lot of arrogant, grungy, shady types of people in Kent/Auburn. I'm not denying that they are not being racist to you. I think Step One is to get the hell out of Kent/Auburn and then take it from there.

Bellevue/Redmond could be feasible, but you will need a roommate or to live in a oversized closet with an income under $100k these days. And, yes, the Asian people there are extremely wealthy like the Jews in Seward Park, Mercer Island and Los Angeles. It does create an element of snobbery and elitism that I find very distasteful and usually creates a culture of exclusion and classism. I have had my Indian friend tell me the same thing about the Indian community in Seattle/Eastside.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 05-13-2018 at 02:12 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's inane. Where do people get these ideas? I'm finding out bit by bit that conservative "talk" radio (I'm more inclined to call it "harangue" radio) is behind some of these incredibly ignorant ideas.

What's wrong with calling it Holland, btw?
I have NO idea . I have either lived or otherwise been married to HOLLAND ( The Netherlands) for well over 17 years at this point . Even the out in the sticks Oma's and Opa's still use the word "Holland" but someone on this forum HATES it when I say it swears that it is wrong, uncouth, improper etc etc , you name it and this offended person simply gets sent to work there by his American Co every so often lmao !

i dont know where they gets these ideas. He sent me pics from the restroom on day that in HUGE letters all over the wall that Trump was actually Jesus and we must kneel at his feet . My husband said he swore he was in the twilight zone . In Holland they just don't mix politics and work or really friends . Co workers are kept at work . i KNOW the media is behind alot of the discord we have going on . The media and yep the good old internet .

Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Default Differing opinion of Middle East-side

Dear Poster,

Are you sure you want the Middle East-side? I've been living in Belle-rut for two years, and am counting the days until I can afford to go to Shoreline, probably July.
I thought about moving to Kirk-estan, or the Red Gaza Strip, but realized that would have just been a lateral move in the Middle East-side.
There is no energy in the Middle East-side. You can hear a pin drop around 8pm. To each his own, and if you're set to come to the Middle East-side, then more power to you. Hope all is well with your plans.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Wait a minute. Was the Netherlands even a communist nation in the past?

Poor husband of yours. I can't stand some of the ignorant and childish and the passive aggressive type of people/locals here. They get on my nerves. Hahaha!

Your husband should report that kind of pranks to his manager or supervisor or the HR department of the company. These kinds of pranks and hate message should not be tolerated at his workplace.
The kind of thing her husband is experiencing at his job, unfortunately, isn't limited to WA or Seattle. It has to do with conservative mindsets in a working-class environment. A friend of mine's husband ran into flack from coworkers, simply because he had shoulder-length hair (kept neat and tidy), and some facial hair. He was actually the most qualified employee for the work crew the employer had ever hired (passed qualifying exam with flying colors), though he didn't make a bid deal of it; he just quietly did his job. But his coworkers decided they didn't like him, rom the moment they laid eyes on him. And this was in the San Francisco Bay Area! You can run into that nonsense anywhere sadly. Outrageously.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Default Southside

One more thing about where you are that could explain attitude. You are in New Jack City, Wa. The south end has been meth central for a few years. There's been a wave of gun related violent crime in the last three years, IT'S HORRIBLE. You should get the funk out of the south side,but consider all your options before you come to Bellevue, Kirkland or Redmond.
My husband & I used to come out here constantly for his work. I had not been east of Seattle in two decades. IT IS NOT AS I LEFT IT. Over the years, there's been quite a changing of the guard. No more adult single people out here. This is Family Central. Everyone is paired up or familied up out here. Nobody out here wants to break rank and allow for a new friend. Ethnicity has really changed, Islam is the prevailing religion, everywhere you go you see hijabs and burqas, people aren't open and approachable. The changing of the guard has brought with it a whole new set of conduct, traditions and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area