Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 AM

4 posts, read 9,532 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 34 and living in Manhattan. It was fun in the beginning but I feel trapped on this island, miss nature and hate, hate crowds and excessive tourists. I grew up outside the city, so have been a New Yorker all my life. Granted, NY has a lot to do and can be fun but the weather sucks and the dating or horrible. I really want to meet a quality man but feel I have been out with tons of guys since I have been single and they have a disposable mindset here. There are a lot of good looking, quality ladies in NYC to choose from a s less men. I have stuck it out here because I have a cheap, stabilized apt. but it’s old and 6 flights of stairs, and I am ready for a change. I was offered a job in Seattle and although my rent would axtuallly be more I would still make similar salary. I am hoping to no need a vehicle. At least for a year or so. I am assuming dating has to be a little better. There are more men in Seattle. I am into the rugged/manly type but really just want a nice/stable guy to settle down with. I love the outdoors and feel the city offers enough. I am past the partying stage. I am scared of it being hard to make friends because of Seattle freeze, but I heard that is becoming less common. When I was visiting there a month back, i though people were pretty outgoing and friendly. Any advise? I aim to do this in a cost effective manner and want to start a new life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:23 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Nothing wrong with a change if you feel that is what you need (I'm somewhat in the same boat myself, debating leaving Seattle and beginning to look for out of area jobs). Totally understandable if giving up a rent controlled apartment is making you a bit hesitant about leaving, but if we're talking market rate apartments, Seattle is (for now...be aware that COL continues to go up) definitely cheaper than Manhattan for a place. And then there's that whole "what if" thing that might keep bugging you later on if you don't give it a shot..

Anyways, If you're looking to go car-free, check out the Belltown, Capitol Hill, and Lower Queen Anne neighborhoods. Those are going to be the busiest/most walkable areas that may suit you well if you like those attributes about Manhattan. If you don't mind us asking, how much would you be looking to spend for an apartment/how much space do you want? The neighborhoods listed above do tend to be among the spendier areas.

The Seattle Freeze and dating are the two topics you will hear debated endlessly on these forums. Going strictly off of numbers, there are more men than women here, which in theory, makes for a favorable dating environment for women. But you'll also here complains on the forums of women not being approached enough by the guys. As far as The Freeze is concerned, it's been my experience that there is some truth to it (it's part of why I want to move, if I'm being completely honest - but I also need a change of my own), and I've had better luck coming across friendly folks in many other cities. All-in-all, your mileage may vary.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
You can definitely go without a car. It's more and more common at all income levels, though obviously you won't have NYC's level of transit.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
How many rugged manly types have you found in Manhattan? Just wondering. The type that's in oversupply in Seattle are techie geeks, not rugged manly types. Just a heads-up.

If you enjoy getting out in nature, that'll help. You can join groups that are involved in whatever outdoor stuff you prefer: boating, rock-climbing, hiking, whatever. You can network through and attend events hosted by the REI Co-op (Recreational Equipment Co-op), as one way to meet people.That's how it's done in Seattle.

What field do you work in? You might check out the Greenlake neighborhood, as one option--probably a bit cheaper than Capital Hill and Queen Anne, but scenic, walkable, with a park and lake in the middle of it. Food co-op, pubs, shops, etc. Served by a couple of buses that go downtown.

OP, I see on your other thread, you're a nurse. That's great! Lots of hospitals in Seattle; some clustered above downtown ("Pill Hill", adjacent to Capital Hill), the U. of Wash. Hospital north of downtown with Children's Hospital nearby, another hospital farther north, and others south of downtown. Lots of options. Where you choose to live would depend somewhat on where you get a job; you'd want to be someplace that gave you a fairly easy transit commute.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-24-2018 at 09:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Hi Plumeria. You will love the nature out here just know that it's not a cheap place to live. Do your homework with salary/rental costs before you come. Yes, you can live without a daily car pretty easily. Beacon Hill and Columbia City have good light rail access, many other neighborhoods have frequent buses. Even more affordable places like Everett and Tacoma have commuter rail to Downtown Seattle.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Plumeria. You will love the nature out here just know that it's not a cheap place to live. Do your homework with salary/rental costs before you come. Yes, you can live without a daily car pretty easily. Beacon Hill and Columbia City have good light rail access, many other neighborhoods have frequent buses. Even more affordable places like Everett and Tacoma have commuter rail to Downtown Seattle.
I don't think it's that Seattle's expensive; as a nurse at her age, probably been working in her field around 10 years, the OP probably can afford Seattle. The problem is that rents aren't stable. Rents are increasing faster than her salary will, possibly.

BTW, homes, is there a hospital in West Seattle? I don't recall hearing about one. Do W Seattle residents have to go to downtown, for emergencies?

Old 05-25-2018, 09:23 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Advice? Arrive with a professional-level position paying $84K and up, or whatever they say the minimum is these days for a single person to get by in an expensive urban area and not have to live in some ghetto and question why she left Lower East Side or whatever.

You remind me of the articles I've read on Tinder in Manhattan: love 'em and leave 'em, both men and women. Like Vonnegut said, other half of his one liner: "...and leave New York before it makes you hard!"

Lot of tech nerds in Seattle, you'd be a welcome addition. Half will be terrified to ask you out. You're too young for me, lucky you: I wouldn't be, I'm a principal management nerd with zero fear of asking a woman out so I do quite well in the dating pool. Other closet-cases around here couldn't find a date in a nunnery with a fist full of papal dispensations.

If you don't have a vehicle, not sure what your access to nature will be like, since by-definition that means living near a bus line in an urban environment, so kiss Eastside goodbye. Not sure what "cost effective" and Seattle have in common, if-anything, but people are pounding down the door to live in Seattle, someone posted a link to "fastest growing large city in America" despite the Communist city council and BS taxes. Not to mention bums, vagrants, and winos lounging around free from the burden of being run out of town or put into work farms, prison, and mental institutions (after proper adjudication by any normally-run legal system, which is entirely lacking these days).

Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Advice? Arrive with a professional-level position paying $84K and up, or whatever they say the minimum is these days for a single person to get by in an expensive urban area and not have to live in some ghetto and question why she left Lower East Side or whatever.

You remind me of the articles I've read on Tinder in Manhattan: love 'em and leave 'em, both men and women. Like Vonnegut said, other half of his one liner: "...and leave New York before it makes you hard!"

Lot of tech nerds in Seattle, you'd be a welcome addition. Half will be terrified to ask you out. You're too young for me, lucky you: I wouldn't be, I'm a principal management nerd with zero fear of asking a woman out so I do quite well in the dating pool. Other closet-cases around here couldn't find a date in a nunnery with a fist full of papal dispensations.

If you don't have a vehicle, not sure what your access to nature will be like, since by-definition that means living near a bus line in an urban environment, so kiss Eastside goodbye. Not sure what "cost effective" and Seattle have in common, if-anything, but people are pounding down the door to live in Seattle, someone posted a link to "fastest growing large city in America" despite the Communist city council and BS taxes. Not to mention bums, vagrants, and winos lounging around free from the burden of being run out of town or put into work farms, prison, and mental institutions (after proper adjudication by any normally-run legal system, which is entirely lacking these days).
He's absolutely right, OP; the guys who whine on this forum about how difficult dating is in Seattle aren't even trying, since we know that the few guys who are friendly and chat up women, like Blondebearde, here, scoop 'em up with ease. You can put those "reserved" awkward guys in a room of single women, and they'll all cling desperately to the sidelines, unwilling to say "boo" to any of the women, even if the women get fed up with waiting for the men to make a move, and approach the guys, themselves. The men are a bit friendlier in the suburbs to the north and south of town, btw.

As to the bolded, getting out to enjoy nature without a car (been there, done that) means joining a hiking group that carpools, or getting a cheap weekend rental through Enterprise car rentals, or using car-sharing venues.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-25-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 09:53 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Blonde, With Car 2 go, Reach Now and all the other car share possibilities, I think it's entirely feasible to live carless and just grab one when you need it.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Congradulations, OP.
We got a 33yo, rugged, cultured male who has been interviewing "potential mates", like most of the males/females in Seattle. When we go out with son, the restaurant scene is very much speed dating. Everyone is looking for a permanent hookup.
Recommendations:
Try and find a 1-6 month room before getting a more permanent housing. DS said that as of 3 months ago, his old shared, co-ed house (Wallingford, halfway bwtn UW and Fremont) still rents a room at the same rate as 5 years ago ($350-650 depending on size). He stay in the shared arrangement from age 24-29. Try for close living arrangement because you will network and become acquainted with Seattle region faster. DS is from originally from Oregon so he is somewhat accustomed to the environment.
Try to find a place close to a transit line. Live close to work to give your self more time to network and meet people.
You don't need a car if you don't already have a car. Slug it, Uber, or public transit. Network you can do communal shopping or do a group weekend outing fast.
Get your self into physical shape and stay that way. Our DS does wall/bouldering 2-3x/week. Ski in the winter, hikes and cliff climbs in the summer.
Seattle diet is fusion, lite, healthy, and interesting. Casual dress to very casual.

Out-of-towners will swamp Seattle downtown Friday-Monday. Kinda of fun watching them.
Rents are stabilizing. A lot of new apts are available around AMZN, downtown and will come online on Jackson St.
Leave your old stuff in NY. You can get new old stuff here. Biggest Goodwill store in the Universe is on Dearborn and there is huge flea market in SoHo near SBUX.
GL.

Last edited by leastprime; 05-25-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area