Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, for one thing, it only seems to be what SHE wants, not the OP.

And how would encouraging transplants like the OP to go home solve the runaway growth? Surely you've noticed that the growth is driven by job growth and the demand for skilled workers. If the OP and his wife leave, two more worker-pods will arrive to take their place.

You haven't really thought your position through, have you? What you need to do, is convince the CEO's of Amazon, Microsquish, and other such businesses to stop growing, or to stop doing it in & around Seattle. Maybe you could convince them to start alternative HQ's in other cities, for the overflow. Hey, yeah, that could work!
Actually the OP said specifically they didn't like it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
It's definitely disappointing because I really like my job, but I have grown to not like it here. I had such high hopes when I moved here, but I feel all the good reasons that made the PNW so desirable are either already gone are rapidly heading in that direction. My wife has been wanting to move back to Texas for over a year. I have been trying to hold off, but time has not proved her wrong.
The OP is not happy, so why talk the OP into staying? It's not complicated. What is wrong with going back to Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Actually the OP said specifically they didn't like it here:

The OP is not happy, so why talk the OP into staying? It's not complicated. What is wrong with going back to Texas?
OK, let's ask the OP for clarification. I read the original post as expressing concern and disappointment, but also still harboring a desire to find a way to find a good fit in the area. It sounded to me, like the OP hopes he could rescue the original dream he had, that motivated him to move here. His wife has given up, it sounds like, after undergoing some shock, but the OP is wondering if it's still possible to find the Seattle that charmed him into coming. IOW, he's not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. And didn't he say he likes his job?

Burien could work. Edmonds, possibly, depending on his work location. We've had enthusiastic reviews from people relocating to Maple Valley, too, on this forum.

Again, if he and his wife can find their niche in the area, why discourage them? Let them try. If they leave, others will take their place, so traffic, etc. won't be alleviated if they leave.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
OK, let's ask the OP for clarification. I read the original post as expressing concern and disappointment, but also still harboring a desire to find a way to find a good fit in the area. It sounded to me, like the OP hopes he could rescue the original dream he had, that motivated him to move here. His wife has given up, it sounds like, after undergoing some shock, but the OP is wondering if it's still possible to find the Seattle that charmed him into coming. IOW, he's not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. And didn't he say he likes his job?

Burien could work. Edmonds, possibly, depending on his work location. We've had enthusiastic reviews from people relocating to Maple Valley, too, on this forum.

Again, if he and his wife can find their niche in the area, why discourage them? Let them try. If they leave, others will take their place, so traffic, etc. won't be alleviated if they leave.
Or a local will be hired. Jobs don't require more people to move here. The OP sounds extremely unhappy and it's not like homes in Edmonds are going to be less expensive than South Seattle.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:20 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Or a local will be hired. Jobs don't require more people to move here. The OP sounds extremely unhappy and it's not like homes in Edmonds are going to be less expensive than South Seattle.
If there are enough locals to take all the jobs, or most of the jobs, why are hordes of people moving to the area? They wouldn't do that, if there weren't jobs for them. Well, a few might, but probably at least half the people flocking to the area are doing so with a tech or other offer ini hand.

Are you saying that all these transplants are leaving the locals unemployed?

Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If there are enough locals to take all the jobs, or most of the jobs, why are hordes of people moving to the area? They wouldn't do that, if there weren't jobs for them. Well, a few might, but probably at least half the people flocking to the area are doing so with a tech or other offer ini hand.

Are you saying that all these transplants are leaving the locals unemployed?
Hardly. I'm saying there are not enough houses for all the people moving here. Which is why the OP is finding the costs of housing so high.

Apparently more than a thousand people are moving to Seattle every week. Are we building 500 houses a week or anywhere close to that? Housing will be much less expensive in Texas.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...s-report-shows

Old 05-26-2018, 11:51 PM

310 posts, read 446,754 times
With the new head tax passed in Seattle, and Once Boeing and Amazon leave, there will be plenty of houses available. They say Seattle can become the next Detroit.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 AM

127 posts, read 107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
With the new head tax passed in Seattle, and Once Boeing and Amazon leave, there will be plenty of houses available. They say Seattle can become the next Detroit.
Hahaha thanks for the laugh!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
I always find it amusing people act surprised that California and Texas provide WA with large numbers of transplants, the numbers add up pretty easily... two of the largest states in the country with excellent universities and many technical workers or employees with highly transferable skill sets, seems like simple math to me.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM

387 posts, read 358,108 times
Seattle will never become the next Detroit. It’s situated in an optimal location and has a decent infrastructure. Detroit is in the Midwest and just has a bunch of factories.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:04 AM

323 posts, read 448,843 times
Quote:
What you need to do, is convince the CEO's of Amazon, Microsquish, and other such businesses to stop growing, or to stop doing it in & around Seattle. Maybe you could convince them to start alternative HQ's in other cities, for the overflow. Hey, yeah, that could work!
Or better yet, completely move out of state. Imposing disincentives to do business here, like the head tax, is a good start.

Last edited by Jiff; 05-27-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area