U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 PM

36 posts, read 51,384 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some feedback on the cost of living situation and the quality of life here in the Seattle area. We moved up here about three years ago from Houston. I am not looking to make this a 'bash Seattle' thread, but I must say I am pretty disappointed with the way things are here.

Do any of you believe we are at the high for housing cost? It's just astronomical. I grew up in the NYC area, so I am used to high cost of living, but this is insane. I am making 100k a year and we are struggling. We are paying $2300 per month for rent in Auburn. We have looked at buying, but we are running into two problems. 1) Anything somewhat decent is at minimum 450k if not 550k. 2) The inventory is super low, so even if I find something there is a bidding war or I am simply getting ripped off. I may be in the minority, but I find this entire area is severely overpriced.

Do any of you see the housing issue getting any better or is it going to just continue to climb?

The other surprise is we are literally finding all of south King County laced with riff raff. I mean whether it be Kent, Auburn, Federal Way, Renton, SeaTac etc... Wherever we go we see tweakers or I am sorry to say just trash. I have taken my son to multiple parks and I have found plenty of needles on the grounds.
We used to come up here often around 2011 and 2012 and I don't remember it being this bad..Not to mention that Seattle is becoming absolutely filthy. Has the entire area just gone down hill over the last few years or was it always like this?

It's definitely disappointing because I really like my job, but I have grown to not like it here. I had such high hopes when I moved here, but I feel all the good reasons that made the PNW so desirable are either already gone are rapidly heading in that direction. My wife has been wanting to move back to Texas for over a year. I have been trying to hold off, but time has not proved her wrong.

Again, not trying to bash the Seattle region, just being honest about my concerns and experiences. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM

7,117 posts, read 5,817,960 times
Hi KCRoyals,

Have you checked out either Maple Valley or Burien as places to rent/buy? I think they would feel different than what you have experienced. Sorry things have been tough for you.

-Vince

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM

301 posts, read 201,304 times
The honest feedback I can provide is that “expensive” is a relative thing. Yes, the cost of living is high and even for our family of two software engineers, it’s still quite an adventure to save for house and buy it. I definitely feel your pain and can relate.

However if you look at it relative to other comparable cities, it’s very cheap. We just moved from NYC a couple months ago and the rent we have here is approximately the same we had there. Apartment itself is also very comparable. However here my commute to downtown-ish Seattle (Belltown) is 25-30m, there it was 1:15h - 2h to a job next to Flatiron. Jobs pay the same and availability of jobs is comparable. So very easy to do math on the difference really. I am not blind to downsides and problems of Seattle but that’s the best thing we could find for our specific situation.

I never lived in Houston so can’t speak much relative to that place. From what I heard housing is cheaper, tech jobs are very good but less plentiful, climate is not for everyone, and there is not much in terms of outdoors. So pros and cons basically, just like every other city out there. Apologies if something is inaccurate, I haven’t had personal experience of living in Houston.

Everyone’s situation is different though. If we were not engineers, didn’t care much for outdoorsy stuff, preferred hot climate over cold, etc, it’s very likely we would never look to live here. Everyone’s situation is different and everyone’s happy place is different too.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM

87,842 posts, read 81,589,805 times
I second the suggestion to look in Burien. And FYI, as inner Seattle neighborhoods gentrified, the people who sold to the gentrification crowd moved to south King County. IDK where you work; Burien or Maple Valley may be best for you, but you could also look in Edmonds and the more scenic parts of Everett. There's transit connecting to downtown.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,080 posts, read 61,975,311 times
As long as people keep moving here faster than new homes are being built, prices will continue to go up. At the same time, the traffic will continue to get worse. The problem is that despite the high cost of housing, people still want to come here. I have people working for me buying homes on less than your income, but in places like Puyallup, Auburn and Lake Tapps, with a long commute by train. There are Sound Transit buses leaving downtown Seattle every day with commuters from Tacoma, DuPont and even Olympia.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM

59 posts, read 40,492 times
Eastside > Seattle

Old 05-26-2018, 12:20 AM

8,097 posts, read 3,499,835 times
KCRoyals:
The problem with Seattle region is that there is only so much buildable land. One side is water and the otherside is mountains.
In Oregon, Portland to Eugene the issue isn't as bad for available land but serious because of land use planning and ultimately the same issue in limited buildable land (coast range on the west and cascade mountains on the east, with entire length just 120 miles.. Property taxes are comparable.
In Texas, you can do urban sprawl without problems other than low density POP (population on pipe). We looked at Texas for investment properties, I just couldn't figure out how to make a profit doing rentals.

Cost of Living is relatively high in the PNW, West of the Cascades. Quality of Life is also relatively high.
GL

Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 AM

7,461 posts, read 6,153,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
1) Anything somewhat decent is at minimum 450k if not 550k. 2) The inventory is super low, so even if I find something there is a bidding war or I am simply getting ripped off. I may be in the minority, but I find this entire area is severely overpriced.
The price of admission for a 4-bd/2-ba min. house looks to be in the $450-$550 range. Your choices?

1) Step down, to a 3-bd or smaller sq. ft. house. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

2) Look further out. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

3) Make more money. Job hop if being underpaid (hot job market). Wife working? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM

20,889 posts, read 12,984,330 times
What's wrong with moving back to Texas?

Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 PM

87,842 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What's wrong with moving back to Texas?
lol. Don't be mean to the nice man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area