Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:06 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
OP said "only one carry-on size bag each". Taking a bus from the Westlake Station (there are three to pick from) to their hotel shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, if all they have is one carry on per person for the cruise they'd be fine with the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
You all are so fortunate! Out of curiosity, assuming you lived and worked in Seattle itself, is it possible to get by without a car?
I've been doing this for the past year, actually. A bit tiring when you're up a 100 foot hill from the station and the frequent bus lines, but still doable. Although technically I don't quite get by without a car since we often use Uber or Zipcar for grocery runs. Walking and bus/train are fine, but with biking there are too many roads that have bike lanes on only one side and/or suddenly dump you into mixed traffic. Seattle really does need to finish the basic bike network that has been in the plans for at least a decade now.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
I am still amazed at your public transportation system. Houston seriously missed the boat when it came to designing our public transit system, especially light rail. You all are so fortunate! Out of curiosity, assuming you lived and worked in Seattle itself, is it possible to get by without a car?
It is possible. Parking in Seattle is expensive.
DS rarely uses his car and only does so for weekend parties and trips out-of-town which is quite often (outdoory stuff and coming home to Oregon) .
We will be moving to Redmond, TownCenter. We won't use a car. A bus is much easier to get to son's place in Seattle @ $1 senior citizen fare, and we won't need to pay a bridge toll. Shopping and stuff are just blocks away.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:48 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
When we cruise Alaska I have a large bag, smaller carry on and a camera equipment bag. My wife has her own 2 bags. Taking a bus would just not be an option. Maybe pnc66 just has a small carry on for their week cruise?
Yes, we will just have one carry-on bag each - I wish we did have a camera equipment bag (along with the camera equipment). I can see if we had more then taking the train/bus wouldn't be an option.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I've been doing this for the past year, actually. A bit tiring when you're up a 100 foot hill from the station and the frequent bus lines, but still doable. Although technically I don't quite get by without a car since we often use Uber or Zipcar for grocery runs. Walking and bus/train are fine, but with biking there are too many roads that have bike lanes on only one side and/or suddenly dump you into mixed traffic. Seattle really does need to finish the basic bike network that has been in the plans for at least a decade now.
Bike lanes - in my part of Houston, we don't have public transportation, sidewalks, bike lanes or anything like that. A car is absolutely necessary, although everything I need is within about a 2-mile radius (except hubby's work). For grocery runs - do you have a grocery delivery service or is it easier to use Zipcar or Uber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
It is possible. Parking in Seattle is expensive.
DS rarely uses his car and only does so for weekend parties and trips out-of-town which is quite often (outdoory stuff and coming home to Oregon) .
We will be moving to Redmond, TownCenter. We won't use a car. A bus is much easier to get to son's place in Seattle @ $1 senior citizen fare, and we won't need to pay a bridge toll. Shopping and stuff are just blocks away.
Oh this sounds ideal! This is definitely something I'm going to look into for our next city/area.

Thank you everyone!!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
For grocery runs - do you have a grocery delivery service or is it easier to use Zipcar or Uber?
Amazon, Walmart, and Safeway deliver groceries in Seattle. Instacart delivers from QFC, Whole Foods, Uwajimaya, Costco.

I deliver my own groceries on the bus, using something like this:

Works great.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Quote:
Bike lanes - in my part of Houston, we don't have public transportation, sidewalks, bike lanes or anything like that. A car is absolutely necessary, although everything I need is within about a 2-mile radius (except hubby's work). For grocery runs - do you have a grocery delivery service or is it easier to use Zipcar or Uber?

Oh this sounds ideal! This is definitely something I'm going to look into for our next city/area.

Thank you everyone!!

I've lived downtown for years without a car. It's not an issue at all. Groceries get delivered and buses/ferries/walking/bike get me anywhere I need to go. Honestly downtown a car is more a nuisance than a necessity. Everyone is different of course.

On the cruise subject, if your cruise ship is way out at pier91 - I'd get a ride from the cruise ship and/or the hotel shuttle. That pier is fairly isolated and not very close to DT or lower QA. No idea if buses go out there. If your on the pier66 along the waterfront that's an easy walk, all down hill!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Amazon delivers groceries? Including the fresh stuff? I didn't know they did that. Instacart here delivers from HEB (local Texas chain grocery store), Costco, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Spec's, Total Wine & More, CVS, Petco, and Kriser's Natural Pet. Kroger and Randall's (Safeway) will deliver as well. Wal-Mart doesn't deliver as far as I know, but they do have curbside service where you order online and go pick up the groceries. I haven't heard of Uwajimaya or QFC. Are the specialty type stores or grocery stores or ...?

I used to have a cart very similar to that when we were stationed in Berlin. It did come in very handy for groceries or whatever we were shopping for since we didn't have a car.

We won't need the return trip back to the airport from the pier (91). It didn't look like there were any options for public transport (bus/light rail, etc) at the pier itself, so for that, we'll use Uber or Lyft. I did see upthread where it was suggested to go ahead and get the Orca card for the round trip fare, and if we were using both, I most likely would do that.

I really wish we could spend more than a little over 24 hours in your city! Next time.....

Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Walk south four blocks and catch the #33 from on Denny (& Queen Anne Boulevard). Get off at the Magnolia Brdg & Pier 91 (WB) stop. Descend the stairs from the bridge to Pier 91.

Alternatively, walk one block north and catch the D-Line on W. Mercer St (& Queen Anne Boulevard). Get off at Elliott Ave W & W Galer Street. Cross the street and climb the ramp to the overpass over the rail tracks. On the other side, walk north, east, then south to Pier 91. See:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...5eK0h5iJLcyK5M

Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
From the Westlake Station catch the northbound #1, #2, or #13 electric trolleybus on Third Avenue & Pine Street (Macy's) to 1st Avenue North & Republican Street (Key Arena), then walk one block west to the Mediterranean Inn. No hills.

Thank you so much for these awesome directions!! Made getting to the hotel quite easy
We went ahead and got the ORCA card and day pass for today. It does make it easier to get around.
Question.... is this normal weather for June? It feels awesome! Also, holy only Pike Place Market is crowded!!! What's it like on the weekends?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area