U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM

601 posts, read 1,744,066 times

Advertisements

I tend to agree with you ambassador.... although I am German born with a Swedish father!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,417,319 times
I am a working professional, I'm stuck infront of my computer 10 hours a day (and alot on the weekend but that is my fault for bringing work home with me)

I post alot as a way to interact with people because 1) I have my own opinions to share and 2) I'd be trapped in my office all day without any communication

Message boards and emails are a saving grace for me, because I am actually quite chatty and like to go out.

Plus when I was a single mom and had to put the baby to bed, the computer made it possible for me to interact with people instead of just sitting and watching TV...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 PM

957 posts, read 3,094,513 times
I agree with you Ambassador, but just to point out there was a study done at one of the WA Univ. about the "Freeze" and I've read articles on it. So while most may not experience it, which is a great thing, it apparently exists somewhat.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM

98 posts, read 75,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
How could . . .
First, the ethnicity/heritage thing isn't to be taken literally. You say you're an FSO -- you should have some insight into cultural anthroplogy.

The similarities between the Pac NW and even modern Scandinavia are notable enough to comment on. The NW, especially Western WA, has a stronger than average Scandinavian and German heritage historically (the people who originally settled here and were dominate culture until probably the mid-20th century). Other people throughout a few generations, irrespective of their own heritage likely blended in, leaving strong vestiges of that influence.

Before the advent of the Internet, imagine how isolated (relatively) the NW was, especially with the influx of transplants being in recent decades and, aircraft industry aside, resultant from the information technology boom. There probably, until now, wasn't enough of a counter-influence (I think it's growing) to dilute that historically scandinavian-influenced social environment.

Doesn't matter what someone's anscestory is, it's the residual affects of the predominate culture. Just as the English language has been influenced by other languages from events dating centuries ago. Anecdotally, I've met Japanese people in Italy who blended in with the Italian culture. You have second generation immigrants from Spanish speaking nations who speak only English and act "american" due to attending U.S. public schools and being encouraged to speak English and "act American" -- meanwhile their parents speak Spanish (and English, too, but Spanish at home) and hold on more to their home country's traditions. It's not in the genes, it's in the environment (nurture vs. nature).

As far as the African American community -- in Seattle, hasn't the black community been concentrated mostly to the Central District and South Seattle historically? Maybe that insularity has nurtured a sub-culture that doesn't have the "freeze" characteristics.

As far as people posting on here: I don't notice anyone who's constantly posting (at least in this forum) some people pop in and write quick messages, and others (guilty, and you, too) tend to write more verbose posts.

So, you're really not onto anything in my opinion, but since you don't want anyone else to rain on your moving to Seattle parade, then I guess you feel the need to opine as strongly as some of the rest of us.

Good luck with the move.

Last edited by HistoryAficionado; 04-02-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,866,749 times
Quote:
Course downtown Seattle is on Puget Sound, which is part of the Ocean. You still have the seagulls and Ocean smell in the air and beautiful ocean water. Also some nice beach area Seattle is not quite that far away from the actual coast either.
Actually, it's a bay. "part of" is not really the ocean. Ocean smell? Have you never been to the coast? No, the smell that you get when down on the piers in Seattle is NOT the smell of the real ocean.

... and as someone who traveled to Long Beach/Ocean Park much of her life... yes, it really is that far away.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Sorry, but you will not be safe from the possible ravages of a hurricane in Texas...
Quote in a post from "seattlerain" right above this remark: "Seattle has a very literate and highly educated population, yet we "lack focus or knowledge" of things outside our "immediate location."

Yes, with your VAST knowledge of the environment outside of Seattle or the Pacific Northwest it seems to have eluded you that the MAJORITY of Texas does NOT get ravaged by hurricanes. While Texas DOES have a coastline that is located on the Gulf of Mexico it does not get ravaged by the amount of hurricanes that some states do like Florida. As a Native Texan I can atest to the FACT that in my 40+ years of living here I have NEVER seen a hurricane hit Austin, San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo, Dallas, Ft Worth, Waco, Texarkana. Houston and Galveston have seen a few but they are NOT the "majority" of this VAST state.

Sorry, could not resist as it does get old after seeing many a movie or tv show depicting a "hurricane headed straight towards Dallas" as such was done in the show "Dallas".

Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,866,749 times
Quote:
You know, the good thing about threads like this is, without them, all people would read are opinions (some of which sound prozac-induced) about how wonderful Seattle is and get "move here immediately, you won't regret it!" or "follow your heart and it will lead you to Seattle" type of advice.

Meanwhile the people responding don't know the poster asking the question, what their personality is, etc, but immediately respond that you must be the worst type of malcontent to not be consumately in love with Seattle.

Thank you!!! I thought I might be the only one noticing or thinking this!!! It's maddening.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,310,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Quote in a post from "seattlerain" right above this remark: "Seattle has a very literate and highly educated population, yet we "lack focus or knowledge" of things outside our "immediate location."

Yes, with your VAST knowledge of the environment outside of Seattle or the Pacific Northwest it seems to have eluded you that the MAJORITY of Texas does NOT get ravaged by hurricanes. While Texas DOES have a coastline that is located on the Gulf of Mexico it does not get ravaged by the amount of hurricanes that some states do like Florida. As a Native Texan I can atest to the FACT that in my 40+ years of living here I have NEVER seen a hurricane hit Austin, San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo, Dallas, Ft Worth, Waco, Texarkana. Houston and Galveston have seen a few but they are NOT the "majority" of this VAST state.

Sorry, could not resist as it does get old after seeing many a movie or tv show depicting a "hurricane headed straight towards Dallas" as such was done in the show "Dallas".
I've lived in Texas and I know that places like Dallas are not ravaged by hurricanes, but if you read the post I quoted he did say close to the ocean.

I don't consider Austin, San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo or Dallas close to the ocean,

To me if you can look out your window and see the ocean that is close...but your mileage may vary.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,594,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Actually, it's a bay. "part of" is not really the ocean. Ocean smell? Have you never been to the coast? No, the smell that you get when down on the piers in Seattle is NOT the smell of the real ocean.

... and as someone who traveled to Long Beach/Ocean Park much of her life... yes, it really is that far away.
Yes i've been to the coast and as someone who has lived in Seattle for almost three years i can say it IS the smell of the ocean. And yes it is part of the Pacific Ocean, the same water that flows in its vast waters and and the same creatures. Next you're gonna tell me that the seagulls that live here are just the cousins of the Seagulls that live on the coast and are not the same ;D

Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM

184 posts, read 498,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
First, the ethnicity/heritage thing isn't to be taken literally. You say you're an FSO -- you should have some insight into cultural anthroplogy.

The similarities between the Pac NW and even modern Scandinavia are notable enough to comment on. The NW, especially Western WA, has a stronger than average Scandinavian and German heritage historically (the people who originally settled here and were dominate culture until probably the mid-20th century). Other people throughout a few generations, irrespective of their own heritage likely blended in, leaving strong vestiges of that influence.

Before the advent of the Internet, imagine how isolated (relatively) the NW was, especially with the influx of transplants being in recent decades and, aircraft industry aside, resultant from the information technology boom. There probably, until now, wasn't enough of a counter-influence (I think it's growing) to dilute that historically scandinavian-influenced social environment.

Doesn't matter what someone's anscestory is, it's the residual affects of the predominate culture. Just as the English language has been influenced by other languages from events dating centuries ago. Anecdotally, I've met Japanese people in Italy who blended in with the Italian culture. You have second generation immigrants from Spanish speaking nations who speak only English and act "american" due to attending U.S. public schools and being encouraged to speak English and "act American" -- meanwhile their parents speak Spanish (and English, too, but Spanish at home) and hold on more to their home country's traditions. It's not in the genes, it's in the environment (nurture vs. nature).

As far as the African American community -- in Seattle, hasn't the black community been concentrated mostly to the Central District and South Seattle historically? Maybe that insularity has nurtured a sub-culture that doesn't have the "freeze" characteristics.

As far as people posting on here: I don't notice anyone who's constantly posting (at least in this forum) some people pop in and write quick messages, and others (guilty, and you, too) tend to write more verbose posts.

So, you're really not onto anything in my opinion, but since you don't want anyone else to rain on your moving to Seattle parade, then I guess you feel the need to opine as strongly as some of the rest of us.

Good luck with the move.
A couple of points to touch on:

First there is no parade to rain on. I have my personal reasons for liking and moving to Seattle. The only thing that will change that opinion will be personal experience, not comments on a forum. But thanks for the consideration anyway!

Second, regarding the ethncity issue you seem to be refering to two different ballgames here. I was referencing earlier when two other posters seemed to be probing Pwright regarding African Americans and how maybe they and other minorites were not part of the Freeze since they were not Scandanavian. Go back and read those two posts just prior to mine.

The implication was that the Freeze maybe only affects whites since they are Scandanavian, and non-Scandanavians such as AAs, Asians, Latinos, etc.. are free of the "curse".

Culture in an area is very much pre-established...thank you for bringing that up. In fact I have made that contention many times in national assemblies regarding the Immigration debate. The "Lou Dobbs" of American out there are afraid that too many Hispanics will eventually cause a culture shift in America.

People like me argue against that logic, primarily for reasons you stated: Culture is firmly planted in a location. And furthermore Hispanics by the 2nd and 3rd generation born in the US are assimilated and probably don't even speak Spanish like their grandparents do. But never the less there are those out there afraid of "losing our culture"... but I digress..

Back to the point, yes Seattle does have a distinct culture. How much of that is based on Scandanavian influence is questionable. Remember that the Alaskan and California Gold Rush brought MANY people from all over to and through Seattle in its formidable years. Not to mention the large influx of Asians during that period AND the large number of Natives that lived and still live in the area. To limit all of that mixture of cultures to simply the Scandanavians is petty. Also take into consideration that the Scandanavian culture is the most promoted in Seattle; the one most people are proud of... thus perpetuating the thought that all whites MUST be of Scandanavian descent. But that doesn't take away the fact that most whites are also of other cultural backgrounds, they just don't promote those as much as the Scandanavian one.

For the people who post here, trust me there are a handful who seem to never detach themselves from their computer. Don't worry, you are not one of them. But I have been lurking on these forums for over a year-only recently joined to discuss some points on the political forum and ended up "participating" over here as well. In that time I have noticed who the "regular" posters are. Actually, regular would be a very mild term to use for some of these people. Mind you there is nothing wrong with spending large amounts of time on the internet if that is your idea of a good time. I personally LOVE the internet and couldn't live without it..I just don't spen my entire day in front of the computer.

It was those people I was talking about; and proposing that maybe, just maybe the idea that there is a disease in Seattle is actually nothing more than people who are PERSONALLY socially lacking for one reason or another. Just another point to consider when discussing this so called Freeze.

In any case we each have our own formed opinions regarding these issues. They are not going to change easily and even if they did nobody would admit it here. Regardless, these are just some alternative viewpoints to consider. I am no expert by any means but by the nature of my job I do have a considerable amount of perspective with which to form these points. And in no way is that meant to downplay your's or anybody else's views.

Oh, and one final note: For whoever argued that Seattle and Austin are both a 4 hours drive from the Ocean thereby implying they are in the same "boat" has forgotten some key issues.

Seattle sits on Puget Sound which is an inlet of the Ocean. It is connected directly to the Pacific and is populated by marine life including Orcas. If one wishes to sit on the beach and look across the Pacific you could also take a boat to those locations from Seattle.

Austin on the other hand does not sit on any major body of water with any kind of connection to any ocean. Austin is a nice city in many ways but lets keep things realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or