Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 PM

76 posts, read 108,359 times

Advertisements

Our family has been moving around for work and school for the last 10 years. Two years ago we left the craziness of the Bay Area for the relative normalcy of the Midwest; we moved to Minneapolis, bought a house in the suburbs, and said we were putting down roots. Except that we don't really like it. DH is from India and lived more than 15 years in California; I am from Montana. We are priced out of CA but really miss the West and so are looking at Seattle for our next (hopefully long term) stop. And we want to make sure we get the town right the first time.

We are a family of three, with an 8 year old daughter. We're looking for the usual in a place to live -- safe, family friendly, good public schools all the way from elementary to high school, sense of community, amenities like nice libraries and a park system. The problem is, we live in a town that has all this now and it's kind of like Pleasantville, so we're open to areas that are less suburb-y, for lack of a better word. When we were in the Bay Area we lived in Alameda and loved it; the Mayberry feel was really nice, plus it was very diverse and had a lot of non-chain restaurants, a great downtown, etc. So, looking for something similar in the Seattle area (although we could live without the downtown if we got everything else. We know there will be tradeoffs).

DH will have to find a job (he's in marketing) and I will work from home, so we also have to factor in his commute. We'd like to be no more than an hour, wherever his job might be and guessing downtown for the moment. Prefer to commute via public transit/commuter bus (anything that leaves the driving to someone else). I guess I'm looking for how far out we need to go to find our spot.

Our budget is $600,000 for a 3/2 with parking for a camper. Where would you suggest we begin our search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Have there been visits to Seattle? In the winter? It seems like a bad idea to just up and move and buy a house without a job (i.e. knowing where the commute would be to) or if there would be issues with SAD in the winter. There's the potential this could be two mistakes in a row.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:57 PM

8,163 posts, read 8,241,187 times
Hi Jane!

Welcome (almost) to town. Take a look in Mukilteo, good schools, value for money. North Edmonds or Mill Creek might work too.

-Vince

Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,189,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Jane!

Welcome (almost) to town. Take a look in Mukilteo, good schools, value for money. North Edmonds or Mill Creek might work too.

-Vince
x2

also Bothell and maybe Lake Forest Park (possibly too pricey)

Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,772,514 times
Do you have to park the camper right next to it? Would a parking spot at a nearby storage facility work? If you open the field up to condos/townhouses, you might be able to find something in the Crossroads area of Bellevue. It's a fantastically multi-cultural neighborhood with a pretty good location. There's a lot of shopping and amenities (both chain stores and unique shops and restaurants), it's right down the road from MS, and is tons of fun to live in. Transit is limited, but surprisingly decent and light rail is being constructed.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! We will check out the towns you guys have mentioned.

As far as a condo/townhouse, that's a good thought but we are firmly in the SFH stage of life.

Any other places we should consider?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM

8,163 posts, read 8,241,187 times
The town of Snohomish could work too and is very "Mayberry-esque", especially the historic neighborhoods. Schools are good but I worry it would put you outside the hour commute if you might commute at typical times of day. I was with clients in the North Edmonds area yesterday afternoon, the lots are bigger than some parts of the area. Focus on something "mid century", 1945-1965, maybe even something that needs carpets, paint, a bit of spit and polish. This client I was with, the woman works in Everett, the man in Fremont in Seattle. The nice thing about this area is you have good I-5 access but also the backup possibility of going overland on Hwy 99. These ideas are imagining your hubby might work in Seattle. North Bothell/Mill Creek would do the trick too, especially if he ends up in Bellevue/Kirkland for work.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM

102,103 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Yes, Lake Forest Park, and possibly Edmonds. Both have commuter service to downtown Seattle. Edmonds has a ferry across the Sound, for weekend getaways into nature.

I don't quite understand why you left Alameda, if you loved it, and were a dual-income family. Was it the East Bay traffic? You'll find similar traffic congestion in the greater Seattle area.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't quite understand why you left Alameda, if you loved it, and were a dual-income family. Was it the East Bay traffic? You'll find similar traffic congestion in the greater Seattle area.
We were renting in Alameda and couldn't afford to buy. We also had a split commute - I worked in Silicon Valley and he was in Oakland. My commute was terrible and his was just OK. Now I work from home so we only have to worry about one commute. And we fully intend to only use public transit, going forward, so he can work/read/whatever, and let someone else drive.

There were other factors, but those were the main ones.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:03 AM

8,063 posts, read 8,316,330 times
Yes, Edmonds will give you the real "downtown" (not just a mall) you want, a location close to the Sound, and a commute via Sounder commuter rail.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area