Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

At this hour the lights are going out at public buildings in Seattle to raise awareness of global warming.

Good timing! In addition to all that atypical late snow, the current forecast for Seattle predicts that the low temperatures for tomorrow, March 30 and Monday, March 31 will be lower than the recorded lows for those dates.

There's something so reassuring about hysteria. Especially when it's illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Despite the miserable cold weather we're having, most scientists agree that global warming is a threat.
However, Seattle politicians like Mayor Nickels have a way of doing these acts that smack of political grandstanding and do nothing for anybody. Seattle signing on to the Kyoto protocols...well that sure did the trick! Global warming is over, problem solved!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
Yeah...we shut the lights off and watched the snow fall. Global warming my butt!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 123,110 times
Some sort of climate change is occuring and regardless of the reason, man made or natural, I dont think anyone is being harmed by shutting off their lights for an hour. Also I think one thing everyone can agree on is the fact that pollution does exist and using less electricty, driving less, using more public transporation and doing other things to reduce pollution only helps to clean our air. Living in Phoenix I can attest to how disgusting the brown cloud that hovers over the city is and I think about all the little particles I am breathing in and how they are affecting my body. Luckily in Seattle the rain cleans the air on a regular basis but the pollution is still being produced, its just being washed into the rivers, lakes and ocean instead. I doubt that anyone thinks that shutting off some lights for an hour is going to solve "Global Warming", I think it is more of a symbilic gesture, showing that people, and more so Americans, can cut their dependency on electricty and other things that are harmful to our environment. I participated in Earth Hour tonight and I took the opportunity to spend some time with my friends and play some board games via flashlight. It felt good to attempt to lower my energy consumption and who knows maybe I saved a few bucks on my electric bill and we actually talked about doing it on a regular basis; its nice to talk with your friends instead of just sitting around and staring at a tv together.

Final note, from the phrase "Global Warming" you would think that all places on Earth are supposed to get warmer. However the phrase is refering to the fact that the Earth as a whole is supposed to warm, while in fact some places will get cooler while others will get warmer. Additionally some places will become wetter, while some will become drier. With these changes more climactic weather patterns are expected as well; more frequent and intense hurricanes, tornados, heat waves, droughts, blizzards, pretty much every weather event more frequent and more intense. So I think the argument "Well it snowed in late March and its colder than average so Global Warming must not be real!" doesnt work. I think they should exchange the "Global Warming" name with "Climate Change" so everyone didnt get so hung up on the "Warming" part. Also I'd like to state again that I really dont know if the current climate change is connected to humans but none the less its happening and I think its ok for us to try and use less energy to attempt to make less impact. Not only could we possibly reduce the climate change, if that is in our hands, but we can reduce other impacts on the environment that humans definitely have created, ie pollution, deforestation, species degredation etc.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iznhour View Post
Some sort of climate change is occuring and regardless of the reason, man made or natural, I dont think anyone is being harmed by shutting off their lights for an hour. Also I think one thing everyone can agree on is the fact that pollution does exist and using less electricty, driving less, using more public transporation and doing other things to reduce pollution only helps to clean our air. Living in Phoenix I can attest to how disgusting the brown cloud that hovers over the city is and I think about all the little particles I am breathing in and how they are affecting my body. Luckily in Seattle the rain cleans the air on a regular basis but the pollution is still being produced, its just being washed into the rivers, lakes and ocean instead. I doubt that anyone thinks that shutting off some lights for an hour is going to solve "Global Warming", I think it is more of a symbilic gesture, showing that people, and more so Americans, can cut their dependency on electricty and other things that are harmful to our environment. I participated in Earth Hour tonight and I took the opportunity to spend some time with my friends and play some board games via flashlight. It felt good to attempt to lower my energy consumption and who knows maybe I saved a few bucks on my electric bill and we actually talked about doing it on a regular basis; its nice to talk with your friends instead of just sitting around and staring at a tv together.

Final note, from the phrase "Global Warming" you would think that all places on Earth are supposed to get warmer. However the phrase is refering to the fact that the Earth as a whole is supposed to warm, while in fact some places will get cooler while others will get warmer. Additionally some places will become wetter, while some will become drier. With these changes more climactic weather patterns are expected as well; more frequent and intense hurricanes, tornados, heat waves, droughts, blizzards, pretty much every weather event more frequent and more intense. So I think the argument "Well it snowed in late March and its colder than average so Global Warming must not be real!" doesnt work. I think they should exchange the "Global Warming" name with "Climate Change" so everyone didnt get so hung up on the "Warming" part. Also I'd like to state again that I really dont know if the current climate change is connected to humans but none the less its happening and I think its ok for us to try and use less energy to attempt to make less impact. Not only could we possibly reduce the climate change, if that is in our hands, but we can reduce other impacts on the environment that humans definitely have created, ie pollution, deforestation, species degredation etc.
So in other words, we don't have any more idea of what we're talking about than flying to the moon, and none of the pathetic political grandstanding makes any difference, but let's do it anyway, because some people "think it's ok."

That makes sense.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I say we stop using vehicles for 1 year. That'll show 'em we're serious about stopping global climate change.
Wait...even better - Let's just stop using any sort of non renewable energy source.

Its just ONE YEAR, people. It's not like you'd have to do it for the rest of your life.
It's FOR THE PLANET. Don't you LOVE the PLANET? Why do you HATE the PLANET?

It's easy to say "We should cut down....as long as it doesn't affect me very much."
When it starts to hurt....people show their true colors. At least, in my opinion.

I think we should address the real issue. That's the issue of population. More people are making more carbon dioxide emissions. The more people there are, the more CO2 emissions. Easy math eh? So, we need less people. Just like China. Let's start the sterilization program now. If we dilly-dally with this, it is just going to get worse. The problem is people. I'm taking myself out on Tuesday. Who's with me? Come on! Join the revolution!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM

29 posts, read 123,110 times
Yes at this point I dont think there is conclusive evidence either way on "Global Warming" at least in relation to if it is caused by humans or not. However the point of my post was that there definitely are some human caused problems in the world related to our energy consumption that cant be argued about (dirty air, dirty water). So why not try and do something to mitigate the impact. Does anyone tell a morbidly obese person to just keep on eating at McDonalds... no it is obviously "polluting" their body. People would say "How about trying a salad and some exercise, I think it might help". But some people seem to be so against saying "Hey why dont you try and limit you consumption a little bit, it might help". People in other parts of the world seem to get by on so much less, and I'm not talking about third world countries, but we are so obverse to trying to cut back. I just dont undestand the aversion to trying to help out a cause.

As far as the population thing goes, I dont think suicide is the answer. Dont go out like that Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area