Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

You're against affirmative action but do not realize it's put in place because there are people that discriminated against because of their race,gender, disability etc.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
All of you guys are failing to help the OP find friends and instead pouncing on or over her political view points.

In case you didn't realize it... she asked for help.

I've attempted to assist her.

I guess in a way this just proves OP's point.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:24 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
I classify myself as a right leaning Libertarian and I've lived in Seattle since the mid 80s. My advice to any non liberal is just be patient. Although greatly outnumbered, we do exist! Eventually you'll build a group of friends and suitable partners that align with your views but it may take some time.

But I don't shy away from my political preferences nor should you! If you are looking to day, why not create a personal ad with caption "Non liberal lady ___________.

Seattle is a very big city. Bet you'd get more responses than you think!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
so what do you think of Seattle's TownHall lectures? or UDub Lectures

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 PM

12 posts, read 7,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I classify myself as a right leaning Libertarian and I've lived in Seattle since the mid 80s. My advice to any non liberal is just be patient. Although greatly outnumbered, we do exist! Eventually you'll build a group of friends and suitable partners that align with your views but it may take some time.

But I don't shy away from my political preferences nor should you! If you are looking to day, why not create a personal ad with caption "Non liberal lady ___________.

Seattle is a very big city. Bet you'd get more responses than you think!

Thanks for the encouragement! I did post on Craig's List strictly platonic before, but unfortunately it was taken down.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 7,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
There was a lot more on that page, other than this bit that you took out of context.

But okay, here's some proof of the resurrection:

The eyewitness account of hundreds of disciples, who saw Jesus after he was crucified.

Now, you'll dismiss these people as liars or deluded, perhaps. But consider. Christianity underwent much persecution in its early years. First the first 40 years, persecution by Jews, who stoned to death Jewish Christians for the crime of blasphemy. Later, beginning with Nero, persecution by Romans, who killed Christians by other means.

In many instances, Christians could avoid death by recanting their beliefs. They wouldn't. Some watched their wives and children killed before it was their turn, but still, they would not recant. The Romans crucified Peter and beheaded Paul. The Jews stoned Stephen, and later James. There were many other martyrs in those early decades. Historical records claim that every apostle died a martyr's death, with the exception of John.

You might say the early Christians lied about seeing Jesus resurrected. People do lie. But few will sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their families, for a lie.

You might say the early Christians hallucinated about seeing Jesus. People do have delusions. But how can so many share the same hallucination?

Clearly these early Christians experienced some profound event, that so many were willing to die as martyrs.

So you don't see how that logic is flawed? Do you think the burden of proof lies on the person making an assertion, or that people should accept someone's assertion until it's disproven...?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
You might try some private conversation with one or more persons who responded in this thread in a way that interested you (or in other threads). Or try some community events in Madison Park, Mercer Island or Redmond.

I heard what you said about meetup groups but this one might be interesting if you like discussion https://www.meetup.com/TranspartisanSeattle/

Old 07-25-2018, 11:59 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Need to clarify some things to narrow down where you should head.

You are still pretty liberal, even if you don't believe in actions intended to set right past social wrongs, so there should be a lot of people to pick from in the area. Do you want to meet these people in order to discuss politics or just so you won't argue politics with the friends? Is the aim to get to know these people online first before meeting up, or not meet up in person at all? Are there other interests that you have?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
You sound pretty normal for a Seattleite, actually . I think there are plenty of people in this area who feel similar to the way you do. How about attending some events/readings/discussions at Elliott Bay Books on Capitol Hill?
I agree. I suspect that a couple of my gf's in Seattle held at least some of your views, OP, but I wouldn't know, because we never discussed politics. We had too many other interests in common, and were always focussed on those. The only conversation I had with anyone in Seattle about politics, in over 20 years of living there, was with a friend from the Bay Area.

Check out UW lecture series; there's one annual series that involves the audience in a collective discussion, as well as the more standard format.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-25-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area