Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:16 PM

233 posts, read 305,991 times

Advertisements

Yea's Wok for Chinese Food is the best. In Newcastle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I don't think of Ivars as being a tourist trap, or overrated/underrated for that matter. Not my first choice for seafood in Seattle, but far from my last - it's a reliable standby.

The problem with "fish joints" that cater to tourists (Ivar's, Anthony's, Chinook's), to my mind, is that they overcook their salmon, in particular (to satisfy seafood-phobic Midwestern palettes?). I haven't been to the Steelhead Diner, so don't know if they do or not. The one time I had salmon at Ray's (downstairs), they undercooked it!

Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Crazydonkey, Some friends of ours own Steelhead, they would consider it a sin to overcook their salmon. That being said, they cook it a touch more than I would like (to satisfy those out of town visitors who can't handle the hardcore part sashimi ). You can ask for it the way you like it, the chefs will nail it for you.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The problem with "fish joints" that cater to tourists (Ivar's, Anthony's, Chinook's), to my mind, is that they overcook their salmon, in particular (to satisfy seafood-phobic Midwestern palettes?). I haven't been to the Steelhead Diner, so don't know if they do or not. The one time I had salmon at Ray's (downstairs), they undercooked it!
Good to know - it wouldn't surprise me if such places do indeed lean towards more well-done to not "offend" seafood-averse palates, as you say.

I wouldn't know from experience, because 99% of the fresh cooked seafood I eat is done at home. When I order seafood out, it's usually fish & chips, or some type of dish where fresh fish is served raw (i.e - sushi, poke, etc).

Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I wouldn't know from experience, because 99% of the fresh cooked seafood I eat is done at home. When I order seafood out, it's usually fish & chips, or some type of dish where fresh fish is served raw (i.e - sushi, poke, etc).
I was always told, if you can smell it cooking, it's done! The best salmon I ever had, I cooked myself. No fancy "Copper River" King, but a whole Safeway Sockeye. Garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper, wrapped in foil. Oh, that was good.

Yeah, otherwise, I'm mostly a fish & chips guy myself. For a tourist trap, the Lockspot ("The Dealiest Bar") serves up a pretty good fish & chips. For a deal on what is still a full meal, order the Fish & Chips off of the Senior Menu. They said you don't have to be a senior to order it, it is just a smaller portion (one piece of fish, instead of two). Slather it with tarter, lemon, and malt vinegar.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 PM

147 posts, read 167,756 times
I wanted to get some chowder at Pike Place chowder awhile back. It was cold and rainy and the line was long even before they were open. Plus very few places to sit. Can chowder be that worth it?
Instead I went to the empty LoPriore Brothers Italian joint right next door. Had a meatball sub. Yummy toasted bread with garlicky marinara, lots of meat and cheese, served open face. I still think about that sub.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
Yea's Wok for Chinese Food is the best. In Newcastle.

But is it a tourist trap? Rather than a "local trap", if you will? Do tourists even go to Newcastle? (Gotta keep this thread on topic. )

Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
I would bypass any TopPot doughnut shop. Any Starbucks.
I really like doughnuts but FredMeyer or Safeway doughnuts are better if fresh in the AM. And Starbucks is too burnt for my tastes since I like mine without sweetner, flavors, or whitener.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I would bypass any TopPot doughnut shop. Any Starbucks.
I really like doughnuts but FredMeyer or Safeway doughnuts are better if fresh in the AM. And Starbucks is too burnt for my tastes since I like mine without sweetner, flavors, or whitener.
Have you tried Mighty O doughnut shops, least prime? Tasty.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Nope. If it's a cake donut, I'd pass. If it's a yeast leavened donut, I'd try it.
Trouble is that a good yeast raised donut takes too long to proof out and marketing have changed tastes of a yeast doughnut towards a tender (lower gluten) doughnut. I'll check out the Capitol Hill operation on my next visit to see my wife at the end of this month.
For visitors to Seattle, you would take the Capitol Hill streetcar. I see that Artisanal Doughnut (General Porpoise) is also nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area