Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM

233 posts, read 304,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Thank you for balancing out the climate change alarmists with some data!
Excuse me? I’m definitely not that. But just taking note of things that transpired since Fukushima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM

233 posts, read 304,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This morning though the visibility is better some of the haze seems to be fog, and you can feel moisture in the air. I think much of the problems with fires in California are still the result of their drought lasting from 2012-2017, one of their longest recorded. Despite water levels finally becoming normal, a drought that long has a devastating effect on the forests that takes years of normal rain/snow to recover. For Canada, it's been mostly dry lightning causing their fires and when they start in wilderness areas they are harder to discover and to fight. Higher temperatures create more lightning, and that combines with drier vegetation so the fires are worse. We have been here 25 years, and last year was the first that I can remember having haze and smell from wildfire smoke here.
I agree

Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,074,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have been here 25 years, and last year was the first that I can remember having haze and smell from wildfire smoke here.
2015 had a lot of smoke too.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Is the worst of it over, now? Reports show Seattle air quality has improved significantly.

I don't know what to say to people who want to move to the Puget Sound area, after this. This is freaky stuff! It's going to be the "new normal" until there's not much left to burn. .

Old 08-16-2018, 07:19 PM

603 posts, read 288,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
2015 had a lot of smoke too.
2015 was much worse than last year, I'm not sure how he could have forgotten that...

Old 08-16-2018, 08:48 PM

235 posts, read 268,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is the worst of it over, now? Reports show Seattle air quality has improved significantly.

I don't know what to say to people who want to move to the Puget Sound area, after this. This is freaky stuff! It's going to be the "new normal" until there's not much left to burn. .
It’s much better now but the smoke could come back even worse next week apparently

Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Sat goodbye to the planet as we know it.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 AM

46 posts, read 52,772 times
Default Montana fires were out of control last summer - worst ever

I agree in general with the poster’s argument below, but Montana had terrible fires last summer. I drove home to WA across Montana from the Grand Tetons and the entire state was engulfed in fire smoke. I agree that fires near more populated areas get more media attention (more human lives and homes at risk), but the less populated states of the West are also struggling with out of control fires. 2017 was the worst fire year for Montana in recorded history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
A lot of these things are completely unconnected. The Orca pod off WA coast is mainly in distress due to inbreeding, a lack of salmon (which is a combination of over fishing, WA using dams which trap and kill salmon...no global warming as far as we know.) Other Orca pods that migrate up and down the coast are flourishing since humans never trapped them into the area and forced them to depend on a main food source that we value and heavily consume. The pod off WA is a reclusive and mainly inbreed group that has lost the ability and knowledge to hunt larger prey and untimely will die off as that's what nature does when you don't adapt to your surroundings.

While the Fukushima plant disaster was great and we know the surrounding areas showed high radiation levels, it's unknown what effects it will have on sea life beyond the surrounding area it was released into the water. We're still trying to figure out the effects the atomic bombs have on the current great grandchildren of atomic bomb survivors so it's hard to state that it's changing the sea levels and it probably would be warming the waters and definitely not at the rate your stating.

The fires are a combination of having dry and hot weather and less fire management strategies due to lack of funding and more human populations in previously uninhabited areas leading to increased fire activity due to more fuel in areas with less available water due to the humans. Yes, as global warming trends go up we'll see more fires, but notice that many states with high levels of fire risk like Montana and Idaho don't seem to have as many fires or at least not as many that are declared "out of control". Because people don't live there or the access to the fire is easier for their fire crews (which are better funded then CA, WA, and BC) The fires are controlled and even encouraged to burn down flammable underbrush and weeds to prevent greater fires like you see down in CA.

The connection between them all in the end is human interference. If we helped the Orcas adapt sooner (or not have trapped them at all back in the day) or stopped caring about how much local salmon we wanted to sell to tourist and figured a way to prevent the salmon from dying in the runs due to our need for hydro power we would see both improve. The same can be said about Nuclear energy, despite the toxic and obvious danger nuclear power can do if despite our best and innocent intentions we continue to declare it "clean energy" and choose to use true clean energy like solar or wind. The wildfires are slightly similar, only I believe more controlled burns will be required if we continue to insist on living in areas that will always have a high fire level during the summer. It's importation that many of these things are simply a part of life, we can't change the past only adapt to the future and learn how we can avoid situations and learn from our mistakes. That takes looking at things one at a time despite our desire to connect them all to find a quick fix for everything. It's going to take many steps and most of them won't solve anything like the Orcas, but it's worth continuing to look at them all and making a commitment to doing what we individually can to not contribute (don't eat local salmon until the proper levels are restored, don't move into a new housing development build on former forest land without a large body of water, volunteer as a emergency firefighter, petition for more solar/wind power in your state and the removal of man made dams)

Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,625,494 times
Quote:
2015 was much worse than last year, I'm not sure how he could have forgotten that...
I'll chime in as a dog walker (meaning I'm outside everyday).. 2015 was bad in terms of heat and the wildfire in WA was worse. [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Washington_wildfires[/url]

But 2017 was worse in terms of smoke. Just that the smoke came from outside Washington state most of the time (BC, CA and some from WA).

2018 is similar to last year.. the smoke is mostly coming from BC and CA.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,074,348 times
Quote:
People easily forget the past. Many people don't even remember what happened 3 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area