U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 4,282 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I along with our three elementary school age boys are looking at moving to Seattle. My husband would be working downtown and we’re looking to move North. I’ve pretty much given up hope of him being able to commute any less than 45 minutes so we’re currently looking at houses in the Shoreline/Endmonds/Lynnwood area. Our budget is under 600K and we’re looking for 4bedrooms with a decent yard. I’ve noticed in my house search that there are a lot of power lines, some going right to or sometimes over the houses. Is this common there or am I just looking in the wrong area?
Community is important to us. We’re very outgoing, social people and like to surround ourselves with the friendly, talkative type. We’re big into community gatherings, farmers markets and seasonal events. We also like convenience. So it would be nice to not have to drive more than a couple of minutes to get to a store. Being able to walk isn’t a deal breaker but it would be a huge bonus since we’re coming from a fairly pedestrian friendly city. We don’t need perfect test scores in a school. We would like something that focuses even a little on the arts. A friendly staff that welcomes parent involvement would also be nice.
We haven’t made any decisions on whether or not we’re moving yet but I wanted to reach out to locals to get some honest opinions on the area before we do. We’ve visited a couple of times but have only seen the East side (Bellevue/Redmond) and central Seattle (space needle) area. I don’t feel that I was able to get an accurate feel of every day life. Am I being realistic with this list of wants? Thank you in advance for any helpful info on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 PM

5,669 posts, read 4,465,078 times
Hi MadCity!

I think Lynnwood or North Bothell/Mill Creek is going to be your best bet in your price range. Unfortunately, those areas aren't the most walkable or very close to a defined town center. Snohomish proper and Historic North Everett are more like that but I think father from Seattle then you would like to be. If you could up your budget and be okay with 3 bedrooms, you might be able to slide into something smaller in the Edmonds Bowl area, really cool location, nice town/village feel..

About the power lines, look elsewhere. I wouldn't want my family to live under those.

Best Wishes,
Vince

Old 09-02-2018, 04:26 PM

3,909 posts, read 3,202,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcity83 View Post
Hi! My husband and I along with our three elementary school age boys are looking at moving to Seattle. My husband would be working downtown and we’re looking to move North. I’ve pretty much given up hope of him being able to commute any less than 45 minutes so we’re currently looking at houses in the Shoreline/Endmonds/Lynnwood area. Our budget is under 600K and we’re looking for 4bedrooms with a decent yard. I’ve noticed in my house search that there are a lot of power lines, some going right to or sometimes over the houses. Is this common there or am I just looking in the wrong area?
Community is important to us. We’re very outgoing, social people and like to surround ourselves with the friendly, talkative type. We’re big into community gatherings, farmers markets and seasonal events. We also like convenience. So it would be nice to not have to drive more than a couple of minutes to get to a store. Being able to walk isn’t a deal breaker but it would be a huge bonus since we’re coming from a fairly pedestrian friendly city. We don’t need perfect test scores in a school. We would like something that focuses even a little on the arts. A friendly staff that welcomes parent involvement would also be nice.
We haven’t made any decisions on whether or not we’re moving yet but I wanted to reach out to locals to get some honest opinions on the area before we do. We’ve visited a couple of times but have only seen the East side (Bellevue/Redmond) and central Seattle (space needle) area. I don’t feel that I was able to get an accurate feel of every day life. Am I being realistic with this list of wants? Thank you in advance for any helpful info on the area.
"Power lines?" Totally depends. Homes in my neighborhood, built after c. 1978 or so, are all underground. Doesn't help when a windstorm takes out the above ground lines upstream, though.

I'd live in Edmunds if it turned my crank. It does not, really, compared to Eastside, but many love it there. One of the garden spots of that part of town. Going up and down the I-5 corridor every day into Seattle proper seems completely retarded to me, it's a train wreck, but people do so.

Bellevue, Redmond, and my home town of Kirkland are a perfectly accurate feel of "everyday life" if you mean usually great schools, lack of bums, winos, and vagrants staggering around everywhere, and in-general tech professionals raising families among other high-end income professionals.

There are pockets of subsidized and lower-income, too, which is an interesting experience. I've met a couple single mothers housed in Bellevue due to that, which seems great to me to vault people out of trouble if they qualify.

For the rest of us, better up your game to places like Eastgate, one of the more-affordable parts of Bellevue, Zillow Home Value Index $788K. Eastgate is definitely up and coming and I'd take a bus down the 90 into town in a hot second before that I-5 crap via ANY means.

Or, South Rose Hill (Kirkland), now up to $842K (Zillow). I personally think that is a splendid part of town, as long as I was close to Houghton P&R.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
"Power lines?" Totally depends. Homes in my neighborhood, built after c. 1978 or so, are all underground. Doesn't help when a windstorm takes out the above ground lines upstream, though.

I'd live in Edmunds if it turned my crank. It does not, really, compared to Eastside, but many love it there. One of the garden spots of that part of town. Going up and down the I-5 corridor every day into Seattle proper seems completely retarded to me, it's a train wreck, but people do so.

Bellevue, Redmond, and my home town of Kirkland are a perfectly accurate feel of "everyday life" if you mean usually great schools, lack of bums, winos, and vagrants staggering around everywhere, and in-general tech professionals raising families among other high-end income professionals.

There are pockets of subsidized and lower-income, too, which is an interesting experience. I've met a couple single mothers housed in Bellevue due to that, which seems great to me to vault people out of trouble if they qualify.

For the rest of us, better up your game to places like Eastgate, one of the more-affordable parts of Bellevue, Zillow Home Value Index $788K. Eastgate is definitely up and coming and I'd take a bus down the 90 into town in a hot second before that I-5 crap via ANY means.

Or, South Rose Hill (Kirkland), now up to $842K (Zillow). I personally think that is a splendid part of town, as long as I was close to Houghton P&R.
Baerde, don't forget there is a direct commuter rail (The Sounder) from Edmonds Bowl area to Seattle downtown (King St station). Quite a few people like that way of commuting.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 PM

77,782 posts, read 69,692,642 times
OP, there's transit from the areas you're considering, to downtown Seattle. Your husband wouldn't have to drive that distance every day. I recommend he take transit, in fact, for his own sanity.

Edmonds is nice, and has good schools. . You can also look in various parts of Everett.Here's a 4-br. well within your price range, near a big park in Edmonds:https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M10643-72962
Seems doable. You might have to compromise a little on walkability to get the price you want, but Edmonds should be doable.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-02-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 4,282 times
Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcity83 View Post
Thank you so much! This is very helpful.
You are very welcome! Let us know if we can answer any more questions.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 PM

5,007 posts, read 5,021,109 times
I'll trade you places!

I have relatives in Madison and we were fortunate to live there for three years while my husband finished up his PhD. We resided in Eagle Heights and it was an amazing experience. They were our poorest, but possibly happiest, years as a young family.

But to get to your question. Your budget is tight... and coming from the affordable midwest to expensive PNW can be intimidating. Do you think you could handle renting for awhile and saving up for a bigger home? I say this because it could open doors for you in a year or two.

I would recommend Wedgwood/Bryant/View Ridge if you want art in the schools. It wasn't a school that worked out for us, but the schools feed into a high school with a well-known music program. Its walkable and I remember bumping into people frequently.. but it's not in your current price range (it was not that long ago though!.. and the market is softening a bit.. maybe there's hope!).

I think Kirkland would also fit the bill.. if it were cheaper.

Sammamish.. no, doesn't sound like it's for you. Or Redmond for that matter.

Now Issaquah.. I DO think you need to check out Issaquah if you haven't. Downtown Issaquah is extremely walkable. Unlike the other nearby communities (Maple Valley, Sammamish, Redmond), Issaquah has a historic downtown and sort of a rowdy beginning as early 20th century mining/rail line community. It has a theater, children's theater school, great library, quaint "village" shopping center made from historic homes, lots of parks, a very active fish hatchery (we host Salmon Days each October.. it's a big deal). There is a good-sized farmer's market (but none like Madison.. come on, nothing compares to Madison's farmer's market!). There are hiking trails on the three mountains and there is a state park on a lake with a playground and paddle boats rentals.

And we have a Target, Costco, Trader Joes, many restaurants and grocery stores. Jesus, I love this place.

You want for nothing in Issaquah.

So I just checked and there are several mid-century homes on Squak Mt and a few are in the mid-600's. Little smaller than what you're asking for, but well, you might have to push more or compromise a little.

I live on Issaquah Highlands (and I love it), but I also love the more organic and authentic community that live on Squak. And it's beautiful. Just absolutely beautiful.

And there is a transit center and park and ride. The commute has increased since we moved here, but it's still reasonable. Lots of Starbucks, Amazon and Microsoft employees live here.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:20 AM

268 posts, read 363,799 times

Outside the box thinking. If husband is working within walking distance to Pier 52 (Colman Dock) in downtown Seattle:

North Kitsap on the Kitsap Peninsula might work. Fast ferry (walk on only) from Kingston to Seattle will launch in late October. Husband can commute on Kitsap Transit buses to the Kingston terminal and be in Seattle in a likely total one-hour commute one direction. (A big plus is no sitting in traffic! He could eat, sleep, prep for the day's work, read the newspaper, listen to music, walk around, etc. and not have the stress of sitting in traffic. Plus, the views are gorgeous!)

I have no idea the pricing on monthly travel passes, but worth looking at (note, this link is only for Bremerton/Seattle, as Kingston/Seattle doesn't start until later next month): Fast Ferry | Kitsap Transit

Desirable homes in your price range in North Kitsap (some may have acreage and/or water view), with the amenities you are looking for (although on a smaller scale than Madison). Both high schools in the area have earned Silver rankings from US News & World Report multiple times over the last five years. Active children's musical theater group and high school theater group (at KHS, but I can't speak for NKHS) in NK area.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 AM

77,782 posts, read 69,692,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post

Outside the box thinking. If husband is working within walking distance to Pier 52 (Colman Dock) in downtown Seattle:

North Kitsap on the Kitsap Peninsula might work. Fast ferry (walk on only) from Kingston to Seattle will launch in late October. Husband can commute on Kitsap Transit buses to the Kingston terminal and be in Seattle in a likely total one-hour commute one direction. (A big plus is no sitting in traffic! He could eat, sleep, prep for the day's work, read the newspaper, listen to music, walk around, etc. and not have the stress of sitting in traffic. Plus, the views are gorgeous!)

I have no idea the pricing on monthly travel passes, but worth looking at (note, this link is only for Bremerton/Seattle, as Kingston/Seattle doesn't start until later next month): Fast Ferry | Kitsap Transit

Desirable homes in your price range in North Kitsap (some may have acreage and/or water view), with the amenities you are looking for (although on a smaller scale than Madison). Both high schools in the area have earned Silver rankings from US News & World Report multiple times over the last five years. Active children's musical theater group and high school theater group (at KHS, but I can't speak for NKHS) in NK area.

Not a bad idea to consider, OP, if you don't mind smaller-town living. Kitsap Peninsula is more affordable. It depends on where your husband's workplace is located from the ferry terminal, as to whether this would be practical or not.

By now, you should be getting the idea that driving to work is to be avoided at all cost. Heed those suggestions. Your hubs should be using public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or