Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 09:45 AM

351 posts, read 342,221 times

Advertisements

I stayed in Seattle for a while ~3 years ago, and back then, I didn't really feel like Tech was that dominant of a part of the city's general feel. It still had that big city but small town feel throughout with a diverse set of industries. Now that Google/FB/Twitter/other SF tech companies are expanding their office sizes here, is there a feeling of "tech taking over town"?

I personally have nothing against tech, but one of the reasons I didn't like SF was because the city felt very one-dimensional in terms of the people you met - they either work at a tech giant or at a startup, which resulted in the same conversations over and over.

Just trying to gauge how diverse the economy and feel of the city is today if you lived in one of the core neighborhoods (Belltown/Downtown/Cap Hill/Queen Anne, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:08 AM

68 posts, read 74,277 times
Commonproject-I really don’t notice a difference between people in Seattle and San Francisco, except people in CA tend to be a little more open. That might be a little “Seattle Freeze.” Overall, I find people in both areas to be tech/industry heavy. Because they spend a lot of hours at work it’s natural that’s a big part of what they focus on.

Have you tried bringing up different topics when in social situations? People usually enjoy talking about things they like to do and there’s a wealth of activities in both locations so that might be a starting point

Old 09-03-2018, 01:07 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Me View Post
Commonproject-I really don’t notice a difference between people in Seattle and San Francisco, except people in CA tend to be a little more open. That might be a little “Seattle Freeze.” Overall, I find people in both areas to be tech/industry heavy. Because they spend a lot of hours at work it’s natural that’s a big part of what they focus on.

Have you tried bringing up different topics when in social situations? People usually enjoy talking about things they like to do and there’s a wealth of activities in both locations so that might be a starting point
Pretty spot on IMO.

OP, the influence of tech on Seattle has definitely increased in just the past 3 years (Amazon alone has grown exponentially in that time). But I'm with Oh Me - both cities are pretty "techie", but there are still plenty of non-tech people who like to talk about non-tech things - and I'm pretty sure even the techies like to take a break from their work and talk about other things too.

Come to think of it, when I was in SF last summer, I don't think tech came up more than once in all the conversations I had with locals. I came across plenty of down-to-earth folks.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
It’s not as overwhelming as I had thought it to be. Where I live, tech workers are far outnumbered by healthcare industry workers due to all the hospitals and medical offices in First Hill. I would say the majority of tenants in my building work in the medical field.

While Seattle is expensive, there is still enough room to accommodate plenty of non-tech people. It’s not quite on the same level as San Francisco. For now at least.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:18 AM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
I stayed in Seattle for a while ~3 years ago, and back then, I didn't really feel like Tech was that dominant of a part of the city's general feel. It still had that big city but small town feel throughout with a diverse set of industries. Now that Google/FB/Twitter/other SF tech companies are expanding their office sizes here, is there a feeling of "tech taking over town"?

I personally have nothing against tech, but one of the reasons I didn't like SF was because the city felt very one-dimensional in terms of the people you met - they either work at a tech giant or at a startup, which resulted in the same conversations over and over.

Just trying to gauge how diverse the economy and feel of the city is today if you lived in one of the core neighborhoods (Belltown/Downtown/Cap Hill/Queen Anne, etc.)
A couple who are both doctors bought our house. I know my neighbors sold to docs as well last summer. My other former neighbors came from SF and work for Salesforce. They were already talking about moving back due to the weather a year in. Haha.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
They were already talking about moving back due to the weather a year in. Haha.
Wait, which weather?

The 80/90-something and smoke of August? Or the wet doom and gloom of January?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:38 PM

301 posts, read 312,614 times
Our family is very diverse: I am a software engineer working for a startup and my wife is a software engineer working for a big company. But no worries, if startups is not your thing, I can talk about big companies too; worked for one back in NYC.
If seriously though: my wife and I are very excited about our work and all that stuff but we really get enough of the tech talk at work. And on those occasional days when we don’t, we can always compensate by talking about tech between ourselves during dinner. If you ever meet us, we’d much rather talk about travel, mountains, your favorite micro brewery or some other random topic you feel passionate about. I mostly cover the mountains and such topics and my wife can do opera and other culture talk with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: