Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,210 times

Advertisements

Hello

I just got my first speeding ticket. I’m concerned how it will affect my insurance.
The speed limit was 60, and the officer made the ticket for 15 mph over. My insurance company is geico whom I’ve been with for about 20 years. I’m 56 yrs old.
Anybody have an idea of how this could go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 06:54 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlinermusic View Post
Hello

I just got my first speeding ticket. I’m concerned how it will affect my insurance.
The speed limit was 60, and the officer made the ticket for 15 mph over. My insurance company is geico whom I’ve been with for about 20 years. I’m 56 yrs old.
Sure. It will go like this .

Call the lawyer . I can think of at least three or four who can make most tickets go away . I have one in particular, called once in the last five years with success , that being about my average between contacts with cops. I sent him everything he asked for, including payment for I believe 350 bucks .

Some weeks later an email arrived: case dismissed . That is the usual outcome, not guaranteed . End of story .

I personally don't find many other methods of dealing with speeding tickets too clever.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Hello

I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in your rates, just don't get caught again .

Old 11-03-2018, 08:12 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
I received a ticket while with Geico about 20 years ago. No previous tickets or accidents. There was no affect to the premium. Could be they just didn't find out? Also involved in a parking lot accident 10 years ago that did about $3K to my vehicle. Again, no affect.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:02 PM

56 posts, read 117,481 times
Default Speeding ticket deferral

WA state allows you to defer speeding ticket. Restrictions are:
1. You will pay fine but you can chose to defer it. If you do not get another ticket in next 6 months, then the ticket will be taken off your record.
2. You can defer only 1 speeding ticket per 7 years.

Go to the website of the county you got the ticket in. For some counties, you can just apply online for the deferral.
King county site link - https://districtcourtsearch.kingcounty.gov/einfraction/

Old 11-05-2018, 03:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Most large insurance companies usually don't run MVRs on clients unless you've been flagged by the underwriting team for having excess accidents. Good chance they won't even find out about the speeding ticket.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Hello

The officer "made the ticket for 15mph over" ... which means you were likely going at least 20 mph over??? So 75-80 mph (OR MORE) in a 60 mph area?

Consider yourself lucky.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
hmm, i just get my speeding tickets dismissed. lots of traffic lawyers in town can help you do that.

almost all of the time, the lawyers just get me off so the ticket never happened.

one time they got the ticket reduced to a different ticket (not moving violation) with a lower fine so that was still ok in my book.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Washington does not have a "point" system with traffic infractions, but they will take note of multiple violations. You will get a letter after about 3 violations within a period of time, and this info is available to your insurance agent. If this is your only violation, the damage will likely not be great. Get a couple more and yes, you will pay more in insurance, and probably given a warning by the State.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 AM

426 posts, read 526,656 times
A single moving violation in WA with Geico didn't impact my insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area