Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 AM

196 posts, read 205,833 times

Advertisements

From your experience around Amazon HQ in Seattle, What kind of skills and small Business will be needed or benefit the most in Crystal City and its surrounding once HQ2 is opened.
I understand there will be a lot of IT jobs but can we be more specific?
Any comment/suggestions?

Last edited by Sampg1; 11-13-2018 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
I don't know what Amazon has said, if anything, about what specific tasks or programs might be moved or created at the HQ2 sites. My own guess, offered for free is that the DC site reflects Amazon's growing involvement in regulatory and government related issues, as well as AWS being the big dog in their operations, and that the Long Island site has everything to do with Amazon's rapidly growing international businesses. Being near financial centers in NYC and JFK airport makes all the sense in the world to me.

So I'm not expecting the HQ2 sites to be "mini-me" copies of Seattle; I suspect they'll be quite different in terms of skill mixes and business focuses.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Bezos has a sweet pad at 25 Central Park West right across from the park, I think he just wants to be closer to home.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
"What kind of skills and small Business will be needed or benefit the most in Crystal City and its surrounding once HQ2 is opened."

Let me ask you: What products and services do younger, educated and well-compensated individuals want?

If you're not from Seattle, come over and hang out around South Lake Union where many of the Amazon buildings are. I see cooking classes, doggie daycare, food trucks, coffee shops and trendy restaurants. I see outdoor and personal training stores. In front of REI they have this water therapy thing that looks rather intriguing.

Is that specific enough, or are you referring to jobs that compliment or are necessary for Amazon the business, not Amazon employees?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bezos has a sweet pad at 25 Central Park West right across from the park, I think he just wants to be closer to home.
He has a sweet pad in Medina. Just sayin'.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampg1 View Post
From your experience around Amazon HQ in Seattle, What kind of skills and small Business will be needed or benefit the most in Crystal City and its surrounding once HQ2 is opened.
I understand there will be a lot of IT jobs but can we be more specific?
Any comment/suggestions?
Just a few ideas:
  • A bike shop focused on commuters, not racers.
  • Gyms - yoga, pilates, cross fit
  • A Shake Shack
  • A Whole Foods
  • High quality fast food, like Poke, Salads/Greens, etc
  • Food trucks, lots of food trucks
  • A weekly market with veggies, flowers, food truck food, etc

Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bezos is a major foodie. NYC obviously has a world class food scene. DC is pretty impressive as well these days. As great as Seattle is if I was filthy rich NYC would be a great place to spend more time in for a long list of reasons.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Bezos is a major foodie. NYC obviously has a world class food scene. DC is pretty impressive as well these days. As great as Seattle is if I was filthy rich NYC would be a great place to spend more time in for a long list of reasons.
Depends what you like. I founded a startup in Manhattan and couldn't wait to get out of there after my post sale requirement was up. Everything I love about Seattle was completely absent from NYC.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM

196 posts, read 205,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
"What kind of skills and small Business will be needed or benefit the most in Crystal City and its surrounding once HQ2 is opened."

Let me ask you: What products and services do younger, educated and well-compensated individuals want?

If you're not from Seattle, come over and hang out around South Lake Union where many of the Amazon buildings are. I see cooking classes, doggie daycare, food trucks, coffee shops and trendy restaurants. I see outdoor and personal training stores. In front of REI they have this water therapy thing that looks rather intriguing.

Is that specific enough, or are you referring to jobs that compliment or are necessary for Amazon the business, not Amazon employees?
Thanks a lot,
I was also looking for job skills needed, in general IT will have high demand but was thinking what specific IT skills do amazon will need the most(Testing, programming like Java, .Net, front end developers)

Old 11-13-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampg1 View Post
Thanks a lot,
I was also looking for job skills needed, in general IT will have high demand but was thinking what specific IT skills do amazon will need the most(Testing, programming like Java, .Net, front end developers)
Take a look at amazon.jobs.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area