Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 AM

6 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

thanks all for your comments, very helpful indeed. using google map it seems public transport doesn't take longer than 30-40 mins from Queen Anne or even Fremont to Downtown. University District and South Lake Union are even closer. just wonder how frequent public transport breakdown and delays are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
You said you don't drive. Can we assume your wife doesn't either?

If that's the case I'd simply exclude any suburbs. While you might be able to commute to your downtown workplace on public transit (although the 15-20 minute desire is not possible) I'd be concerned that other needs - food shopping, travel to your child's school and back, just ordinary living - would be seriously complicated by a suburban location. Living car-free in the Seattle area is one thing for single people, and something entirely different for families with kids. Day care? Medical providers?

If it were me, looking at a 2-year initial period, I'd probably focus on very close-in locations - downtown Seattle itself, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne Hill, or, if you need something more suburban feeling, downtown Bellevue or Mercer Island. And I'd also be looking at a private education resource for your daughter. There are a number of private schools located in these areas that offer preschool, pre-kindergarten and K-5 (ages 5-10) services. Most cost around $1200 - $1500 per month, so not cheap, but one advantage is that they could probably craft a curriculum for your daughter that will fit in with her current studies and will prepare her for either entering the mainstream US education system (maybe after a year) or for a return to Oz if that's the outcome.

If you found accommodation that is close to a bus line for you (or even walkable) and also close to amenities for your wife as well as a school for your daughter, you could spend the first year getting the lay of the land and figuring out what works and what doesn't. I know it might seem desirable to get all your questions - location, commute, school... answered before you relocate, but, honestly, it doesn't work that way. Find something comfortable for a year and use that time to plan something longer term.

A quick glance shows there are several private schools on Capitol Hill that have suitable rental accommodation nearby, and also in "downtown" Mercer Island. There's good express bus service from Mercer Island to downtown, and Capitol Hill is well served by buses that get to 2nd Avenue (all along the length) in 10 minutes or so. Both areas have supermarkets and other shops, parks, cafes and restaurants, and all the amenities you'd need for a comfortable time in which to adapt.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedar View Post
thanks all for your comments, very helpful indeed. using google map it seems public transport doesn't take longer than 30-40 mins from Queen Anne or even Fremont to Downtown. University District and South Lake Union are even closer. just wonder how frequent public transport breakdown and delays are.
Not driving, you need:

1) A place not much more than a few blocks (for you) from a one-ride frequent transit route. The biggest time-variable is transfers.

2) A supermarket (preferably with a pharmacy) within walking distance or a short bus-ride.

3) An available nearby preschool slot for your daughter.

4) A nearby park/playground.

Buses are pretty reliable in the morning commute, unless they are full and have to pass-by riders. They can "stack up" in the afternoon commute. They do insert buses if a route falls behind. For best frequency/reliability, live within a few blocks of a light rail station.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:54 PM

22 posts, read 14,507 times
G'day- Curious to hear what you decided. We are moving from Australia as well. We cannot access anything on the Seattle Public Schools website, which is making it very difficult to research. They must have a block on anyone searching their website from an international address.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieinoz View Post
G'day- Curious to hear what you decided. We are moving from Australia as well. We cannot access anything on the Seattle Public Schools website, which is making it very difficult to research. They must have a block on anyone searching their website from an international address.
Try downloading Mozilla Firefox and accessing the page in a "private window". Or download a VPN, which should allow you to access U.S.-only sites from Australia.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I just thought I'd mention, that if public schools won't accept her, private schools will. That raises questions about cost, and your income, and location/transport, but I thought I'd mention it as an option, if all else fails.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:48 PM

22 posts, read 14,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Try downloading Mozilla Firefox and accessing the page in a "private window". Or download a VPN, which should allow you to access U.S.-only sites from Australia.
THANKYOU! The VPN fixed it

Old 12-31-2018, 05:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieinoz View Post

sorry for late reply. just were swamped away with moving. yes that website is not accessible to IPs outside the US but redirecting should solve the issue. we ended up renting a temporary accommodation in downtown, where school scores are not great, but now we have a month to look around and find and rent our place. we've heard good about north gate areas so probably will be looking there.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM

50 posts, read 25,686 times
Hi there, just thought I'd come out of the shadows (I registered a couple of days ago) as we are also contemplating a move from Sydney. Nothing concrete yet but I will be interested in your experiences. Yours too, Maddie!

No children for us to factor in, but office location would also be Bellevue.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
If any of you good people from OZ (or NZ) need a dose after you get here, this is the "official" Australian and Kiwi Embassy in Seattle: Kangaroo and Kiwi Pub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area