Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,846,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambiehearts View Post
I was going to do that but I have never gone and so I am not sure what to expect. I'm afraid that if I go alone I will leave early if I get bored which I don't want to do but i think the drink would certainly help with that. I do suspect that my mind will wander even if it is beautiful. I will probably end up going to the handful of distinguished venues on my list alone, which isn't optimal but is ok. If I was used to going to these places I don't think I would mind so much. Sort of feels like stepping into another world...haha. I suppose I could get a drink... sometimes I forget about those things. Thanks for the suggestion.

As Homes says, go anyway. Going alone isn't bad, maybe better as you don't have to worry that the person with you isn't enjoying the show! lol Solo touring is a real pleasure in a lot of ways. And you never know who you'll meet along the way. Anyhoo, the symphony experience here is very laid back and less stuffy. Definitely a must go to at some point living in Seattle. They also have the Untuxed series which is even more laid back and cheaper - the orchestra wears street clothes. A very cool experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 24,404,855 times
Oh nice, maybe .01% of the population really cares about the Symphony, no matter what city it is in.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,144,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oh nice, maybe .01% of the population really cares about the Symphony, no matter what city it is in.
A Princeton study in the early 2000s found about 16% of adults had attended a classical music concert in the previous year.

https://www.princeton.edu/culturalpo...assical02.html

Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 24,404,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
A Princeton study in the early 2000s found about 16% of adults had attended a classical music concert in the previous year.

https://www.princeton.edu/culturalpo...assical02.html

Well, I grew up in Seattle and for some very strange reason, while attending public-school, I was FORCED on more than one occasion to attend that snorefest.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 PM

8,157 posts, read 8,217,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I grew up in Seattle and for some very strange reason, while attending public-school, I was FORCED on more than one occasion to attend that snorefest.
Tickyul, okay, you don't like classical music. Can you conceive of a world where some people do? Classical music can be mind blowing and isn't just one thing, though it is probably pointless to try to describe the difference between hard driving Rachmaninov and the sublime Waltz of Flowers by Tchaikovski to you. By the way, I like Metallica, Eminem and Zeppelin too, truth. Give the symphony a try sometime, it might surprise you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: