Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:59 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So is this all about Al Gore?
Yes saucermom, deny, bluster, blame, faux patriotism and distraction as usual. It gets old, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:55 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yes saucermom, deny, bluster, blame, faux patriotism and distraction as usual. It gets old, doesn't it?
Why do you drive a car, sell houses, fly, and use electricity if the end of the world is nigh from carbon burning? Great virtue signalling hogwash but I see no ACTION from you or the rest of the Climate Alarmists other than to point the finger at people who rightly question the assumptions those of your religion have made.

Also, why would you encourage people to travel to Seattle...unless they're using covered wagons with animal (non farting) power?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Why do you drive a car, sell houses, fly, and use electricity if the end of the world is nigh from carbon burning? Great virtue signalling hogwash but I see no ACTION from you or the rest of the Climate Alarmists other than to point the finger at people who rightly question the assumptions those of your religion have made.

Also, why would you encourage people to travel to Seattle...unless they're using covered wagons with animal (non farting) power?
Guilty bro, we're all guilty. I know that. Why should that be the reason though to deny thoroughly compelling science and not have our government join the world community in collective action?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 AM

672 posts, read 442,828 times
Scientist can barely predict the weather in Seattle with any accuracy. Now their going to predict the climate around the globe and say it's a sure thing?
Tell you what Seattle , you want to reduce your carbon emissions start with the largest vehicles first. Get rid of ships and ferries then move on to semis and then work the cars.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Guilty bro, we're all guilty. I know that. Why should that be the reason though to deny thoroughly compelling science and not have our government join the world community in collective action?
Because the world community are idiots. We'll do far better on our own, in fact, we led the world in reduction of carbons in 2017. I don't trust "the world community" and neither should any thinking person.

If your transportation modes aren't exclusively walking, biking and sailing, why not with the end of civilization staring us in the face?

I work as a Consultant for an engineering company, I believe in actual solutions over virtue signalling koom bah yahs...in sales, I understand why you would have a different view.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Because the world community are idiots. We'll do far better on our own, in fact, we led the world in reduction of carbons in 2017. I don't trust "the world community" and neither should any thinking person.

If your transportation modes aren't exclusively walking, biking and sailing, why not with the end of civilization staring us in the face?

I work as a Consultant for an engineering company, I believe in actual solutions over virtue signalling koom bah yahs...in sales, I understand why you would have a different view.
Far from "kumbaya", there is real work going on spearheaded by very committed people. Do you really think all of this is crap and pointless? https://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/glob...s#.XAfjyy3MxAZ

Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:

Because we don't live a singular level existence. Our behaviors are driven by the smallest of cellular and bodily impulses like hunger, the need to defecate or reproduce or scratch an insect bite. But influences on our behavior is a spectrum so at the other end we are also heavily influence by institutional doctrine, specifically religious and national decree like the Bible or the US Constitution. Those things give you the context of how and where to fill your hunger, with whom you should or shouldn't reproduce with or how to preform commerce. You're an engineer so you should have developed systems level thinking. The biosphere is a system and we are a part of it ourselves. Every single reaction we give is to one or more change in our system of life.

As individuals we all have jobs to do and if we, as individuals want to stay relevant and survive we have to play by societal rules. If we want our children to survive and stay relevant we need to play by the rules as well. If we don't, then in the immediate future we greatly reduce our chances and our children's chances of having their future needs met. This is why I still drive, and work and sometimes travel to educate my kids about the world around them.

However I guess you could say that people like us, the "alarmists" are cognizant using a greater scale than people like you. You are stuck focusing solely on existence at a singular level of the individual. Maybe, you go as far as your family's immediate survival. But your issue is you don't consider the time horizon and nor do you see the interconnectedness of broader life and time scales with yourself, your children or the immediate future. This is honestly our greatest challenge. I have enough resources on a day to day basis that I've been able to contemplate all of this. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to put out the immediate fires of impending bankruptcy or crises in health or family. You can't blame them in a way, except ultimately we're all in this together so, yes, yes I can blame them.

For us, for our immediate well-being we have to play along, but some of us are working to change within the system to the best of our ability at any given moment.

But we'll always have people like you and that makes us pretty demoralized about our efforts.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Far from "kumbaya", there is real work going on spearheaded by very committed people. Do you really think all of this is crap and pointless? https://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/glob...s#.XAfjyy3MxAZ
All 19 of the koom bayahs are failing miserably and we are doing the best of the lot. Leadership requires making good decisions based on what you know and believe and our Great Pres is doing that better than the other 19 "leaders."

The solution has to be an energy source that is economical that will allow people in the 3rd world (where I currently work) to build their countries without burning carbons.

If you can sell more by claiming you're virtuous by resisting the President, then by all means, keep on.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Because we don't live a singular level existence. Our behaviors are driven by the smallest of cellular and bodily impulses like hunger, the need to defecate or reproduce or scratch an insect bite. But influences on our behavior is a spectrum so at the other end we are also heavily influence by institutional doctrine, specifically religious and national decree like the Bible or the US Constitution. Those things give you the context of how and where to fill your hunger, with whom you should or shouldn't reproduce with or how to preform commerce. You're an engineer so you should have developed systems level thinking. The biosphere is a system and we are a part of it ourselves. Every single reaction we give is to one or more change in our system of life.

As individuals we all have jobs to do and if we, as individuals want to stay relevant and survive we have to play by societal rules. If we want our children to survive and stay relevant we need to play by the rules as well. If we don't, then in the immediate future we greatly reduce our chances and our children's chances of having their future needs met. This is why I still drive, and work and sometimes travel to educate my kids about the world around them.

However I guess you could say that people like us, the "alarmists" are cognizant using a greater scale than people like you. You are stuck focusing solely on existence at a singular level of the individual. Maybe, you go as far as your family's immediate survival. But your issue is you don't consider the time horizon and nor do you see the interconnectedness of broader life and time scales with yourself, your children or the immediate future. This is honestly our greatest challenge. I have enough resources on a day to day basis that I've been able to contemplate all of this. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to put out the immediate fires of impending bankruptcy or crises in health or family. You can't blame them in a way, except ultimately we're all in this together so, yes, yes I can blame them.

For us, for our immediate well-being we have to play along, but some of us are working to change within the system to the best of our ability at any given moment.

But we'll always have people like you and that makes us pretty demoralized about our efforts.
Sorry to demoralize you, continue on in your flying saucer.....Black Hole Sun.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
And back in the 1970s, when I was a child, all the experts said ...

1. We would have genocide level mass starvations by 2000, due to overpopulation. Soylent Green was to be our future. (The book was set in 1999.)

2. The next Ice Age was coming. Many panic-stricken books and TV specials said so.

3. By 2000, we will have run out of oil, plunging us back into the dark ages.

4. In 1987, Oprah announced: “Research studies now project that one in five — listen to me, hard to believe — one in five heterosexuals could be dead from AIDS at the end of the next three years. That’s by 1990. One in five.
Killer bees. You forgot the killer bees. We were all going to be stung to death by raving swarms of killer bees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area