Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:39 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Hide your head in the sand if you want but it's starting to get real out there. Intense fires in California, increased frequency and intensity of hurricanes in the Southeast. I've talked to a number of people in the past year or two who are consciously moving to this area for that reason. Interesting Business Insider article "The best US cities to live in to escape the worst effects of climate change": https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-change-2017-9

Say what you want but a few degrees warmer, which will devastate regions of the country (map projections given current trends put much of South Florida under water), won't hurt Seattle too badly. We have good drinking and agricultural water sources too, which around the world is becoming a precious commodity. I'm thinking this is a pretty decent spot to be, all things considered.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-03-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Homes, as usual, you're on the right track. Interesting article, too: thx for quick read.

I was intending to flee town in about nine years, but will probably call someone like you to get me best price on a too-large home (for my purposes) then instead rent in some place like Poulsbo for my twilight years. Of which I hope there are many...as an aside, interested to see how long the SW USA drought lasts. Been going on awhile, with just a little relief, in much of CA for years. And I mean "over" long-term.

(...as the sun comes out on December 3 AM, something of a rarity this time of year.)

Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
With global warming, it makes sense.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Homes, as usual, you're on the right track. Interesting article, too: thx for quick read.

I was intending to flee town in about nine years, but will probably call someone like you to get me best price on a too-large home (for my purposes) then instead rent in some place like Poulsbo for my twilight years. Of which I hope there are many...as an aside, interested to see how long the SW USA drought lasts. Been going on awhile, with just a little relief, in much of CA for years. And I mean "over" long-term.

(...as the sun comes out on December 3 AM, something of a rarity this time of year.)
Happy to help, I'll be doing the same thing in 9 years . Poulsbo is a nice spot.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
The mutual self-gratification among the eco-feminist zealots here never lets up.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
In Salem OR, I ran the AC for 60+ days straight. Weeks at +90.
We got rid of the portable AC in Redmond, Never used it.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The mutual self-gratification among the eco-feminist zealots here never lets up.
Thanks, but science. Also, are feminism and "eco" bad words to you? I'm pretty clear that I'm a strong badass guy (who tries to be "eco") and a feminist also. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. I love women and respect their rights and power. Crazy to your mind probably how those can coexist, yet they do for many of us out here. By the way, I lift weights, love the Seahawks and drink beer, sometimes even non microbrews. Wanna fight? I mean "peace, bro" .

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-03-2018 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

You're wondering how long the SW drought will last? Really? We, in the SW, are not wondering. Or at least, those of us who are informed about what's going on with global climate aren't wondering, nor are the climatologists who lecture and share the results of their research with the public. Drought is the new normal. Even Western WA weather reporters have been talking/writing about drought, since about 2015.

What's interesting, is that the prediction, climate-change-wise for the NW, was that summers will get dryer (extending into late spring and early fall), and that winters would be wetter. But that's not what we're seeing. We're seeing dryer winters, too, relatively speaking. But it may be too early yet to assess that.

OP, this is exactly why I decided a few years ago, to get back to Western WA, vs. CA, where I'm originally from. That, and the affordability issue. What stopped me several years ago, was when rentals in Pt Townsend suddenly disappeared. The rental market simply ceased to exist, pretty much. And now the fires.

Let's face it, folks; there's no place to run, no place to hide from the effects of global climate change. The loss of snowpack in the NW will bring hydroelectric production to a grinding halt. There may be drinking water, but electrical capacity will be severely limited. Buy your solar panels, wind turbines, whatever, before the rush. And farming in the NW will be impacted as well, due to the loss of that snowpack, that magically metes out water naturally, throughout the year. That won't be happening anymore, as the warming trend continues.

The WA forum.has been posting reports for years, and friends in the B'ham and Pt T areas confirmed back in 2015, that their areas were seeing a lot of climate refugees from the cold winters in the NE and upper midwest, and from the drought in CA. So this is not anything new in 2018. The phenom has been going on for at least 4 years, but is now increasing.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Trading disasters is a risky proposition. We don't have mega-droughts, hurricanes, or tornadoes, but we do have super-volcanoes and subduction earthquakes, which could happen any day now (in the next 300 years). Would definitely ruin your day.

Warmer weather here means lower snowpack, which means less water for drinking, irrigation, energy generation, or letting fish swim upstream. Moving here to escape "brown-lawn syndrome" might not be such a good idea.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Trading disasters is a risky proposition. We don't have mega-droughts, hurricanes, or tornadoes, but we do have super-volcanoes and subduction earthquakes, which could happen any day now (in the next 300 years). Would definitely ruin your day.

Warmer weather here means lower snowpack, which means less water for drinking, irrigation, energy generation, or letting fish swim upstream. Moving here to escape "brown-lawn syndrome" might not be such a good idea.
This. Seattle is not the answer to every question and climate refugees need to expand their horizons rather than increasing Seattle's overpopulation. The states bordering Canada are all candidates. Maine is stunning and so is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Montana is practically open frontier and beautiful. Minnesota has a cooler climate and is culturally similar to Seattle. Maybe we should provide brochures to these other states at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area