Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

I also like Whales and Cascades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
That would actually be a great name. As a non-sports fan in MSP, I'm shocked you guys don't have a hockey team, though now I realize I've never heard of the Seattle NHL team...

Have you guys been cheering for the Canucks this whole time?

As a matter of fact.....yes!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
More name suggestions in an old thread: Could Seattle support an NHL team and what would be a good name for the team if so?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Okay guys, i got it! Honoring the fighting culture of hockey and the PNW, the Sock-eyes! Could have an awesome logo, a fish with a black eye. I was thinking more like a "roided up" muscled fish, white t-shirt ( New Jersey style) with sleeves rolled up. Slicked back hair and the black eye. Haida artwork is not going to put fear in the heart of east coast teams.
That's a perfect ideal and name... I have to salute you for that one!! Very original and very PNW!!

I think some people really don't know how rough hockey really is. A "soft" name/image doesn't really fit any pro hockey team... Even in the ever P/C Seattle area.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM

405 posts, read 394,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
That's a terrible name, hope it doesn't happen. I like the Emeralds.
Emeralds is completely generic and boring. Sounds like a women's recreational softball team name

Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Totems. It's not original, but it is all Seattle. Think about it.
I'd like to see it, but it is doubtful, especially considering the "stolen totem-poles" scandal. I can hear it now: "Oh, you mean those totems?"

A "Thunderbird" is just another totem - best to skirt that one as well. Of the other recycled name, "Metropolitans" (or "Mets" for short) does avoid the Native American post-holes, but is otherwise kind of bland (and so "east coast").

I don't think most non-Northwesterners even know what a "Sockeye" is - a bit violent, to the non-initiated, it seems to me.

As for the rest, I'm generally underwhelmed. "Steelheads" faces the same problem as "Sockeyes". We do shoot Sea-Lions here - not exactly the most beloved of species hereabouts. "Emeralds" is a Seattle cliche - I'd prefer they be called the "Queens", quite frankly. "Evergreens" - do we really want a tree as a mascot (think Stanford)? To most, a "Firebird" is a Detroit car. "Seals" is an SF name. "Whales" are mostly big, fat, and slow.

What about "Chinooks"? Is a NW Native American word, but although an icon, is not a totem.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM

235 posts, read 269,698 times
Totems is the odds on favorite. From an offshore bookie (-105 means there’s about a 50% chance it’s Totems):

Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
Totems is the odds on favorite. From an offshore bookie (-105 means there’s about a 50% chance it’s Totems):
That's rather lame. Intimidating chants of BOIMIA! BOIMIA! commeth, "Beware Our Inanimate Mystical Indigenous Ancestors". I don't know, I think we could do a lot better. Sock-eye is my choice, Kraken could work with proper marketing.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
That's a perfect ideal and name... I have to salute you for that one!! Very original and very PNW!!

I think some people really don't know how rough hockey really is. A "soft" name/image doesn't really fit any pro hockey team... Even in the ever P/C Seattle area.
30 years ago that would fly! But today not so much.Don't get my wrong, that's pretty genius! But fighting is downplayed today in the NHL compared to how it used to be. Even on the east coast.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Sockeyes, Totems, Kraken, Emeralds and Evergreens sound too minor league gimmicky. Right there with the El Paso Chihuahuas or New Orleans Baby Cakes baseball teams of the Pacific Coast League. Eagles and Cougars sound too generic as well. Compared to those suggestions, the Seattle Seals or Seattle Blades or Seattle Ice or even the Seattle Bombers sound strong and solid.

I like the idea of bringing back the Metropolitans but I'm sure that's the minority opinion.

Whatever the name is, it has to be better than Golden Knights, Coyotes, Avalanche, Hurricanes and the majority of the recent expansion and relocated NHL teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area