U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM

303 posts, read 1,253,017 times

Advertisements

I have a silly question. When we were out looking at apartments on the Eastside last month, and previously online, I noticed many places that have a stackable washer and dryer in the bathroom (sometimes the only bathroom in a 1-2 bedroom place). Is this just to save money on piping, have non-carpet flooring underneath it, etc? Why couldn't they just put it in the hallway? I just find it strange to go into the bathroom to do your laundry!

We're currently in Arizona, and for here and our previous residence in California, I've never heard of having a washer/dryer in the bathroom. Actually, most places here won't have one in a rental apartment at all. I found that just about all rentals I was looking at in Seattle have laundry in the unit, which is awesome (but we were looking for a newer, nicer, place).

Are there any opinions about the annoyance of stackable units in the bathroom? We're thinking of renting a place that has the stack washer/dryer in the second bathroom in the apartment. So, at least an only bathroom won't be tied up by one of us doing laundry. It looks like we'll be low on space for laundry supplies (I didn't notice any storage cabinets) as opposed to a traditional laundry room in a house, but the shower will be nice to hang up items that I don't like to go in the dryer.

I know that these are about 3/4 size of a full-size unit, but are there any other issues we may have with having laundry in the bathroom? With no window in the bathroom in an apartment, and the added humidity of the laundry, will there be humidity problems in the PNW in our bathroom (mirror being fogged, higher occurrence of mold, etc)? I'm coming from Arizona--very dry here--so please excuse my ignorance. I usually don't even need the fan running when I shower to clear the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,492,369 times
It doesn't rain in Arizona. It rains in the Pacific Northwest. The two places cannot be compared.

You are correct in all your conclusions. And aren't you very fortunate to have a washer & dryer in a rental unit!! How great!

I have never had washer & dryer in a bathroom, but my guess is that you are looking at either new construction, which means the land parcel was very expensive to begin with, or older construction in which a renovation made the most efficient -- and competitive -- use of space. Plumbing installations are very expensive. Additional plumbing installations going toward a different area of the home are even more expensive.

Is this so hugely important that it's a deal breaker for you? Just keep the bathroom door open when you're doing laundry, and/or run the exhaust vent fan. Enjoy!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 PM

303 posts, read 1,253,017 times
Not a deal breaker at all--I was just very surprised and perplexed. We only looked at apartments that were built or remodeled in the last 10 or so years.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM

820 posts, read 1,928,800 times
My last place had a full size washer/dryer in the half bath. It was a pain and annoying, but there are bigger things to worry about, IMO. My current place has a little laundry room off the kitchen...better, but not perfect since it is on a different floor from the bedrooms.

I've also had a full size in a closet right off the kitchen...that was the worst. The others were full size and in a hallway closet. I prefer what I have now because it's an actual room, not a couple of closet doors.

A stackable in the only bathroom? I've never had to deal with that. My mom had a condo when I was a teenager that had one off the kitchen. Not the best place, but when it was just her and I, it was no biggie.

My master bath now is right beneath the laundry area. I get mold on the ceiling! Not good...but I don't recall having a mold issue with the kind of units you saw. The mirrors only get fogged up when I take a shower and only if the door is closed. I use my hair dryer to clear a spot to see in if I need to, in that case.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 4,227,930 times
I've seen places in CA with the w/d in the bathroom, most of the time it's older places that have been upgraded, and I think they do that to save on piping. We rent and our w/d is in the hallway. I like that better than our last place in San Diego, the w/d was in the kitchen!

V. =)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 PM

957 posts, read 2,420,549 times
My friend has hers in the bathroom now and her bathroom is so large I didn't even notice it, so maybe hers is a spacing issue. In my old apt. it was downstairs in the living room, which is really close so I barely had to move to put things from the washer into the dryer, but every time I wanted to watch a movie, I had the spin cycle pounding in my ear. Now in my new apt it's outside so I can hardly hear a thing, but I have to put a jacket and shoes on when it's cold outside. I can't win.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:41 PM

87 posts, read 213,155 times
Stay in Arizona or, get used to stackable units in some townhomes or apartments.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:36 PM

306 posts, read 1,128,467 times
I live in a 5 yr old 3 bed, 2.5 bath house and the 1/2 bath houses full size W/D. It's great! There's plenty of room in our bathroom, and because there's no utility sink the bathroom sink doubles as a place to soak "unmentionables" and soiled items.

Think of it this way--W/D in the bathroom means no excuses for running out of clean towels! OR, having a nice warm towel out of the dryer when hopping out of the shower on a dreary day!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:34 AM

255 posts, read 690,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
Not a deal breaker at all--I was just very surprised and perplexed. We only looked at apartments that were built or remodeled in the last 10 or so years.
Guess you never lived in a mobile home then... The main bathroom is the ONLY place you can put your washer/dryer!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 AM

95 posts, read 263,772 times
Seems like a pretty convenient place to have the laundry in a small place. Don't most people have a laundry hamper in the bathroom? It will prevent you from letting the laundry pile up, that's for sure! Like others have said, it is much better to have the washer in the bathroom rather than not at all! There are probably many other things to stress over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area